CYTZ GA survey

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

CYTZ GA survey

Post by ctmorawetz »

PortsToronto is in the midst of creating a new Master Plan for CYTZ. The potential design concepts can be viewed here: http://www.billybishopairportmasterplan ... ncepts.pdf

As you will see, there is a heavy focus on developing new GA facilities at CYTZ. In order to help provide feedback to PortsToronto on the demand for GA parking at CYTZ, COPA has put together a survey to see what the demand is. If you are an aircraft owner, renter or purchaser of block time on an aircraft in the Greater Toronto Area, and would like to participate in the survey, here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BJGJT6F

The survey will be open for the rest of October.

Thanks for your input!

Clark Morawetz
COPA Director - Southern Ontario
---------- ADS -----------

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CYTZ GA survey

Post by FL_CH »

Thanks for sharing the master plan! It's not often that we get positive developments in the GA world.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I had wondered if/when they were going to start developing the far side. I see also that there is still plenty of room to laterally displace 08/26 to the South, which is a must if the place is ever to have passenger jets operating in and out.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

A little disappointing in the questions. It doesn't ask anything to address transient traffic. I stopped flying into YTZ since the ramp prices went up. I still do fly by frequently enough, I just don't stop anymore!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

JasonE wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am A little disappointing in the questions. It doesn't ask anything to address transient traffic. I stopped flying into YTZ since the ramp prices went up. I still do fly by frequently enough, I just don't stop anymore!
Any comments are welcome. COPA's hope is that they will establish a ramp for transient aircraft as well on the south side with tie down spots.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There is a lot of inconsistency involved here. PIlots would like to persuade the Toronto Port Authority that it is economically feasible to provide facilities for small planes. But when it comes time to pay, pilots complain that everything is too expensive. Trying to have things both ways won't work.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Clark,

I applaud your newish tenorship if one can call it that and dedication towards GA in the area.

However may I humbly suggest that your efforts should be directed towards GA airports that are still “GA friendly” rather than YTZ which has effectively become a non GA friendly airport? (I’m no defeatist by any means but the glory days of GA at YTZ are long gone and with limited resources would like to see COPA taking on logically and “winnable” battles.) Let’s face it, CYTZ is a David and Goliath battle and GA isn’t going to win this one by a long shot. Hell I’d give “Uncle Bobby” a 50 % chance of hitting it out of the ball park and I sure don’t like those odds!

A rambling from a long time COPA member who usually stays silent...

All the best,
TPC

(PM me when you get a chance as we really should meet for a coffee when our plans aline)

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A rather poor survey! In addition to some missed opportunity for gathering relevant information about transient flying to YTZ, I wonder what answer is sought for those of us between 50 and 61 who fly amphibians! Where on the survey do we add comments?

It's up to YTZ to determine their interest in attracting transient visitors. In years past I would fly my wife to YTZ for a downtown dinner visit at least once a month, but no more, necessary travel only. I did inquire about a one year transient pass, no interest returned to me. I don't mind paying to use the airport, though the one time, one time, one time costs are discouraging. I would like to see the availability of a discount based upon frequency of use, just as an owner paying for tiedowns would. I considered paying for tiedowns, though not be based there. But the major sticking point is that I fly different airplanes there, so I want the fee applied to me, rather than a particular plane.

Some airports must become more business versatile in their thinking about attracting transient GA business. Happily, in the mean time, a very nice dinner out can now be reached by air at Orillia, so less need to fly downtown.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Here's some feedback for Clark to pass on:

If you base an aircraft at the Island you can choose to pay $10 per landing ($20 after 10pm) or a $300 yearly fee. But you can only opt for the yearly fee on 1 January. So if you buy an airplane in February the Port Authority won't let you pay a yearly fee (not even the whole $300) until the next January. This is rather silly and expensive.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

photofly wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 am Here's some feedback for Clark to pass on:

If you base an aircraft at the Island you can choose to pay $10 per landing ($20 after 10pm) or a $300 yearly fee. But you can only opt for the yearly fee on 1 January. So if you buy an airplane in February the Port Authority won't let you pay a yearly fee (not even the whole $300) until the next January. This is rather silly and expensive.
Thanks for the feedback! I was not aware of that. I'll bring that up to PortsToronto when I meet with them next.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:09 am A rather poor survey! In addition to some missed opportunity for gathering relevant information about transient flying to YTZ, I wonder what answer is sought for those of us between 50 and 61 who fly amphibians! Where on the survey do we add comments?

It's up to YTZ to determine their interest in attracting transient visitors. In years past I would fly my wife to YTZ for a downtown dinner visit at least once a month, but no more, necessary travel only. I did inquire about a one year transient pass, no interest returned to me. I don't mind paying to use the airport, though the one time, one time, one time costs are discouraging. I would like to see the availability of a discount based upon frequency of use, just as an owner paying for tiedowns would. I considered paying for tiedowns, though not be based there. But the major sticking point is that I fly different airplanes there, so I want the fee applied to me, rather than a particular plane.

Some airports must become more business versatile in their thinking about attracting transient GA business. Happily, in the mean time, a very nice dinner out can now be reached by air at Orillia, so less need to fly downtown.
You can PM me with your comments, and I'll make sure they get passed along. The purpose of this survey is gather information on who wants to be based at YTZ. I will be pushing for space to be set aside for transient aircraft visiting YTZ.

PlanePaully
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PlanePaully »

From what I have seen, heard and read about the fees and the generally unwelcoming attitude to GA at YTZ and the Porter FBO, it appears that Porter has forgotten just where future pilots come from.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ctmorawetz wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:19 pm
photofly wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 am Here's some feedback for Clark to pass on:

Thanks for the feedback! I was not aware of that. I'll bring that up to PortsToronto when I meet with them next.
Please do. And, by the way, each touch and go is charged as another landing, so I know one owner of an aircraft based at the airport who's paying the Port Authority an extra $60-$100 *per flight* when they do a few touch and goes.

That's not much of an incentive to keep your skills sharp, is it?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I just ask for a low and over approach to show my guests the skyline without paying the landing fee.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “General Comments”