Swoop cancels US flights due lack of approvals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Swoop cancels US flights due lack of approvals

Post by altiplano »

Seems they are hanging people out to dry on this screwup...

https://www.680news.com/2018/10/19/swoo ... d-flights/
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Swoop cancels US flights due lack of approvals

Post by Victory »

This, plus the 767 fiasco, does not bode well for the new 787 ops. I still don't understand how they are planning to get slots. It's strange that they did so well under the Southwest model but then decided to completely steer away from it. Another one for the text books.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Wow, sweet planning...

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Woops.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

While I am by no means a Swoop apologist, this was a reasonable calculated risk with the timing that unfortunately may have backfired (like rushing the roll out with OTS hires). From the get go, Swoop has been an aggressive counter to Flair. With Flair starting service to the US later this fall, it makes sense that Swoop would try to be as aggressive as possible in starting these new routes first. As WJ has gone through the regulatory approval process to operate in the US before (WJ, Encore) they probably had a good idea of how long things generally take.

Nonetheless, I think that this is a different game than launching the 787s on new routes, but to existing destinations.

Though truthfully, I figured that once Gregg had 'retired' the BOD and senior executives would have done a bit of reflection on the consequences to the company has a whole with trying to rush into anything with Swoop.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

1)Should be a disclaimer when booking LCC and ULCC. "You get what you pay for!"
a)The tears of those affected, brings me joy.
2)Hopefully this Swoop thing will be a failed experiment that'll roll over and die, with the routes and fins returning back to mainline.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Was really impressed at how far Swoop has set back aviation. Yesterday at a Marriot in Winnipeg I watched a Swoop crew filling baggies with food from the free breakfast buffet before leaving all dressed in the ugliest uniforms I have seen a flight crew wear. Is this really what flying the big iron has become? Guess they weren’t doing a US flight!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Victory wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 am This, plus the 767 fiasco, does not bode well for the new 787 ops. I still don't understand how they are planning to get slots. It's strange that they did so well under the Southwest model but then decided to completely steer away from it. Another one for the text books.
I dont get it. They modeled WN, but then decide to say "eff it" and go after Big Red. I bet the exec team at AC has a bet on how long Swoop will last. WS managment needs to understand they should stick with what they do well, which is what they know. Adding two completely different classes, long haul aircraft, and creating an airline-within-an-airline (how well does that work? Tango, Song, Zip...) and labeling it a ULCC (I thought WS was a ULCC/LCC?) just pushes WS further and further away from its original vision and closer to being "just another airline".

Stick with what you know and what you do well. You already made money doing that.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

CLguy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am Was really impressed at how far Swoop has set back aviation. Yesterday at a Marriot in Winnipeg I watched a Swoop crew filling baggies with food from the free breakfast buffet before leaving all dressed in the ugliest uniforms I have seen a flight crew wear. Is this really what flying the big iron has become? Guess they weren’t doing a US flight!
BUT they get the privilege of flying the 737? All about the jet time, bud.

Swoop is the aviation equivalent of a loan shark. Ill give you money, but you gotta do some bad, bad things for it .

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

A rumour I heard is that the only way for a WJ FO to upgrade without waiting for the second coming is to jump over to Swoop. I guess this a thing you can do now? Or throw in your resignation and go OTS DEC back into Swoop? A guy I know who’s considering this (I don’t know the exact way he’s doing it) is rationalizing it by figuring he’ll do better as a Swoop captain than a WJ FO, and a thousand or so hours of jet pic +20t will make him attractive if (when) he goes somewhere else.

What a joke. WJ used to be where everyone wanted to go. What happened?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:36 pm A rumour I heard is that the only way for a WJ FO to upgrade without waiting for the second coming is to jump over to Swoop. I guess this a thing you can do now? Or throw in your resignation and go OTS DEC back into Swoop? A guy I know who’s considering this (I don’t know the exact way he’s doing it) is rationalizing it by figuring he’ll do better as a Swoop captain than a WJ FO, and a thousand or so hours of jet pic +20t will make him attractive if (when) he goes somewhere else.

They forgot who made them profitable.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:36 pm A rumour I heard is that the only way for a WJ FO to upgrade without waiting for the second coming is to jump over to Swoop. I guess this a thing you can do now? Or throw in your resignation and go OTS DEC back into Swoop? A guy I know who’s considering this (I don’t know the exact way he’s doing it) is rationalizing it by figuring he’ll do better as a Swoop captain than a WJ FO, and a thousand or so hours of jet pic +20t will make him attractive if (when) he goes somewhere else.

WJ's version of this guy ran the company for a while... :rolleyes:

Attachments
220px-Gordon_Gekko.jpg
220px-Gordon_Gekko.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:36 pm A rumour I heard is that the only way for a WJ FO to upgrade without waiting for the second coming is to jump over to Swoop. I guess this a thing you can do now? Or throw in your resignation and go OTS DEC back into Swoop?
Not exactly, the only way to get to the left seat of Swoop now is to be a WestJet pilot and bid for it, holding it by your DOH as a WJA/WEN pilot. Due to the unknown nature of the WAWCON going forward once the CBA comes into force, it is causing the bid to go somewhat junior.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Westjet is in the top 10 shorted stocks on the tsx right now. Hope some of you had the chance to cash out some gains. I think airlines in general could take a hit the next couple years but westjet stock may lead the pack on the way down.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

CLguy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am Was really impressed at how far Swoop has set back aviation. Yesterday at a Marriot in Winnipeg I watched a Swoop crew filling baggies with food from the free breakfast buffet before leaving all dressed in the ugliest uniforms I have seen a flight crew wear. Is this really what flying the big iron has become? Guess they weren’t doing a US flight!
Sounds like the GGN crews in the YYZ lounge.

Return to “General Comments”