Jazz - Dash 8 bond

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jazz - Dash 8 bond

Post by atpl53 »

For anyone working at jazz: Is there a bond requirement and if so what is the length?
Thanks

Dan
---------- ADS -----------

Always remember your flying roots!!
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Jazz - Dash 8 bond

Post by goleafsgo »

atpl53 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 am For anyone working at jazz: Is there a bond requirement and if so what is the length?
Thanks

Dan
No

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

There's no bond, but you are frozen on type for 48 months unless you upgrade, or move to a base you couldn't have held.

For example there are no RJ in Toronto. Let's say you're from Toronto and your whole class only had RJs. You would be allowed to bid the Q or Classic on Toronto as an FO and not be held to your RJ freeze.

atpl53
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by atpl53 »

Thanks. i appreciate the quick response.

So my curiosity is, what is the incentive to stay after Jazz spends the money training you?

Always remember your flying roots!!
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

atpl53 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 am Thanks. i appreciate the quick response.

So my curiosity is, what is the incentive to stay after Jazz spends the money training you?
Not ruining your reputation is one incentive... the air industry is a small world :)

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

The inventive is working at a place that treats you well. Places that don't have bonds usually don't need a bonds, because their employees are happy enough.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

You get a big fat pay raise after one year to account for your added value to the company, as you are now a typerated pilot.

Oh, wait... Never mind....

You get a dangling Maple leaf instead.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Our union would not allow a bond.

The working conditions are far better than most operations here, which tends to keep people. Not to mention the benefit package, pension, ESOP, schedule, vacation, mx, training etc.

Some people do indeed leave after a year or two for overseas gigs. Or after the agreed upon two years they head for mainline if they get through the process. I highly doubt anyone who came here would up and leave for Porter or Encore. Where else are you gonna use that fresh Q400 type rating?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Well you could just stay so you can complain about how little your making for a 1500 hour pilot who knew what the pay was when you got hired

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

As Rowdy mentioned, the working conditions at Jazz are well above industry standard, while the pay was only forced down to industry standard due to increased competition in the regional AC CPA market. The reality is that this is a really great place to work, regardless of whether you're using it as a stepping stone or planning to make a career here. Those who can't handle the pay shouldn't apply - it's as simple as that. Those who think they can come here to get a quick, bond free type rating before jumping ship, are not only doing a disservice to themselves and their colleagues, but also to the pilot profession as a whole. While I can certainly understand the propensity of some pilots to not want to stay at certain unfavourable operators too long, Jazz treats their employees with respect, and I would expect any proper profession pilot to treat the company in the same way.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Uhhh, best working conditions in Canada for a regional (even mainline is debatable), a career, two year upgrades? Shall I go on?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Uhhh, best working conditions in Canada for a regional (even mainline is debatable), a career, two year upgrades? Shall I go on?
Lots of regionals with better pay and conditions, most of the northern ones come to mind

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Yeah, but then you wouldn't be able to live in a concrete jungle. One of the fantastically expensive cities of Montreal, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. We all know that its every pilot's dream to live there.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm Yeah, but then you wouldn't be able to live in a concrete jungle. One of the fantastically expensive cities of Montreal, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. We all know that its every pilot's dream to live there.
Yes it's everyone's dream to wear a hat on the subway, especially when you can use the hat to collect change on the subway because you made 35k as an airline pilot that year.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Haha. I haven't seen a pilot hat used to bum for change yet.

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

IMG-20180328-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20180328-WA0002.jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Does this count..

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Alot of koolaid drinking going on here

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

I'd say all three are pretty comparable. Picking one category like pay might put one above another, however each have different benefits and disadvantages. Jazz pays well, and has a PML to Mainline. Encore has a top notch commuting policy and gaurenteed flow. Porter probably pays the best for a Q, and allows you to live where you work (YHZ,YOW,YQT). Each to their own. Any of these 3 regionals are a safe bet as long as they fit what you want in life. As far as I can tell they all treat their people well.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

tps8903 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 am

I'd say all three are pretty comparable. Picking one category like pay might put one above another, however each have different benefits and disadvantages. Jazz pays well, and has a PML to Mainline. Encore has a top notch commuting policy and gaurenteed flow. Porter probably pays the best for a Q, and allows you to live where you work (YHZ,YOW,YQT). Each to their own. Any of these 3 regionals are a safe bet as long as they fit what you want in life. As far as I can tell they all treat their people well.
I'm pretty sure pay wise it's Porter, then Encore, then Jazz.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

It's sad that the pay is so low at the regionals but what can we do. In my opinion the starting wages flying a 705 machine in the right seat should be at least 60-70k given the responsibility, training and costs involved to get there.

Return to “General Comments”