MERGED power curve / floats posts

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: MERGED power curve / floats posts

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Try. Go on. Just once.
. Try. Go on. Just once.
Best post in awhile
Not only once, but twice!
but have failed in ways in my own eyes because I gauge my own success by my capabilities, talents, abilities and comparing them with what I have done with them,
AND YES, IN everything that I do, I can be assured that MANY will and can do better than me, that is obvious.
In real life, I have met folks like you . Sad ! No more responding to idiots, such a waste of time !
---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, if we all take that position, no one would ever respond to one of your posts. :)

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

f) Test Flights &Conditional Maintenance Releases
(i.e. Where specified in the quality procedures of the organisation performing the work, or where the person signing the maintenance release determines that a test flight is required to verify the system operation).

Information Note:

Conditional Maintenance Releases are not to be used in those instances where maintenance personnel require additional information as to system operation or other operational characteristics (e.g. report on the range of a navigational system, cabin temperature control, etc.)

(i) That all applicable ground testing has been satisfactorily completed; and,

(ii) That the Journey Log provides details which describe the verification test required by the pilot, including any specific test requirements.
Information Note:

Subsection 605.85(3) of the CARs addresses the pilot's requirements for log entries following a test flight.

Maintenance Release and Elementary Work
605.85 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no person shall conduct a take-off in an aircraft, or permit a take-off to be conducted in an aircraft that is in the legal custody and control of the person, where that aircraft has undergone maintenance, unless the maintenance has been certified by the signing of a maintenance release pursuant to section 571.10.

(2) Where a maintenance release is conditional on the satisfactory completion of a test flight pursuant to subsection 571.10(4), the aircraft may be operated for the purpose of the test flight if no person is carried on board other than flight crew members and persons necessary for the purpose of making observations that are essential to the test flight.
(3)
Following a test flight conducted pursuant to subsection (2), the pilot-in-command shall enter the results of the test flight in the journey log and, where the entry indicates that the results of the test flight are satisfactory, that entry completes the maintenance release required by subsection (1).
According to TC in these CARS A Test flight ( no other name ) must be done to verify something is serviceable. It is a test flight to verify a system operation, not a verification flight or a check flight

It also does not give any specific qualifications for the PIC to do this test flight, like being a graduate of a test pilot school 8)

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

There are several types of test flying. Typically, people that call themselves test pilots are graduates of a Test Pilot School and conduct Experimental, Developmental and Engineering test flying. Without formal training or extensive experience and mentorship, it would be wreckless to engage in those tests as they are generally more hazardous. The type or modifications to the aircraft are generally not approved yet. Duties include preparing a test plan, assessing and mitigazing risks, executing tests and reporting on tests.

The other types of test flying include post-production acceptance and post-maintenance test flying. This is flying a certified aircraft and modifications through a very specific test method (that was likely developped during Engineering test flying). Pilots conducting thise tests normally refer to themselves as Acceptance Test Pilots or Maintenance Test Pilots. The risk of conducting those has already been quantified and accepted.

If you want to call yourself a test pilot, go ahead, but don’t be surprised when someone asks you which school you graduated from.

Going for the deck at corner
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

There’s one caveat to that.

It is perfectly legal in Canada to design and build your own aircraft. As the builder, you or someone you delegate becomes a test pilot in every sense of the term.

However, most amateur aircraft are based on certified designs or properly engineered and fully tested designs and are quite limited in size, performance, and complexity. Equating even the most ambitious home builder to a graduate of a Test Pilot School is a very large stretch.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

It is perfectly legal in Canada to design and build your own aircraft. As the builder, you or someone you delegate becomes a test pilot in every sense of the term.
True that !
Acceptance Test Pilots or Maintenance Test Pilots.
True that too !

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

aeroncasuperchief wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:54 pm

True that !
Acceptance Test Pilots or Maintenance Test Pilots.
True that too !
Or you can cherry pick words out of people’s post to suit your agenda. As you wish.

Going for the deck at corner
short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

This guy's a real gem..

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

aeroncasuperchief wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 pm In real life, I have met folks like you . Sad ! No more responding to idiots, such a waste of time !
I swear this could totally be a tweet from Trump's wannabe pilot alter ego.
ErrorWonky, perhaps the problem is that you're not expressing yourself in a way that people are fully understanding. At the risk of sounding disrespectful, I must say you don't come across as someone with the requisite experience to be offering up unsolicited advice on professional, technical bush flying. You come across as a hobbyist who has been at it for a while. Perhaps that impression is incorrect, and I understand that the desire for anonymity might preclude you from divulging your credentials, accomplishments, experience levels and the like, but in the absence of that stuff you are coming across as more of a tinkering crank imposter than an experienced master.

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Oh my, don't you know this is Crazyaviator?

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

Aeronca, just an FYI, your posts are hella aggravating to read.

Disclaimer: I only read pages 1-3 of this topic. I was astonished to see there was 11 pages of posts relating to this topic.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

SoaringHigh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm ...there was 11 pages of posts relating to this topic.
There's actually 11 pages of an awkward combination of eye-roll worthy discussion on various topics.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I found positive evidence that wonky is, in fact a test pilot. Here he is testing out a winter kit he designed himself

396EBC42-C65E-4AA4-999C-D52BA37AF69A.jpeg
396EBC42-C65E-4AA4-999C-D52BA37AF69A.jpeg (174.38 KiB) Viewed 650 times

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Haha, yeah, your don't want those 172 props windmilling in the wind like a PT6! We tie off the Turbine DC-3 props similarly, though rope, not chain!

Some posters make themselves memorable - in different ways. I still recall Keith D'Mello, though he seems to have withdrawn, perhaps to reconsider his place among his peers! he made himself memorable, I would remember to approach what he says with caution....

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

I found positive evidence that wonky is, in fact a test pilot. Here he is testing out a winter kit he designed himself
Naa, Not me I am way more handsome ! :rolleyes:

BTW, there is a McDowell starter that wraps around the crankshaft, once bumped up, It only takes 1 pull to start an Aeronca, Quite nifty on floats

Then there was the time when,,

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

The other types of test flying include post-production acceptance and post-maintenance test flying. This is flying a certified aircraft and modifications through a very specific test method (that was likely developped during Engineering test flying). Pilots conducting thise tests normally refer to themselves as Acceptance Test Pilots or Maintenance Test Pilots. The risk of conducting those has already been quantified and accepted.
I am neither an Acceptance Test Pilot nor a Maintenance Test Pilot. Neither one is my chosen profession. If I need to take an Aircraft up to confirm it is to acceptable standards ( a new A/C ) it is an acceptance test flight or if I take an A/C up to verify its engine is working properly, its a maintenance test flight. I am doing test flight duties as part of my job description. Just as DAR AND myself have trained pilots on float A/C and signed off the endorsement, I do not consider myself an instructor BUT I do instructor duties.

On a resume, I can state, Pilot, instructor, multi-ifr, sea and land, test, check-out, hang glider. Those prefexes do not make me an ab-initio instructor or a career test pilot!

Return to “General Comments”