Transport Canada - Betrayal and fatigue

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Transport Canada - Betrayal and fatigue

Post by Mostly Harmless »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 pm Sad to say, must agree with the above post. I thought I had a not spectacular but still pretty good job at TC, and that is after a bankruptcy, looking for work.
Was expecting a maybe routine and slightly boring bureaucratic job, but still, doing what the job requires and so what, life goes on, live and let live. Somebody has to do the job, and I was not adverse to doing those basic things that the public requires.

I cannot even explain the hellhole that the public service is. I would need a conference room and many days to even convey the disconnected, toxic, and quite frankly, at times evil place it has come to be.

I "escaped" after 5 years.............

Life can indeed be an interesting journey. Sometimes, you don't want to see some things. It should not be like that. In a perfect world, it should be exactly the opposite.

I will never work for the government of canada again.

Trouble is......no matter what government you elect, the public service stays in place.
Thank you for making a point I failed to make in the brevity of my statement. There are a lot of really good people working in the public sector but they work in a system that does not allow for individuality.
---------- ADS -----------

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

lownslow wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 am TC has done their part, the ball is now in the federal government's court.
How so? Honest question.

Whats the process look like for moving this forward?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Boreas wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:43 pm
lownslow wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 am TC has done their part, the ball is now in the federal government's court.
How so? Honest question.

Whats the process look like for moving this forward?
This is off the top of my head so might not be perfect but Transport Canada publishes their proposal in the Canada Gazette I, takes government feedback before publishing it in Canada Gazette II where it either sinks or swims. My understanding is a shoot-down at the Gazette II phase (where I believe it is now) is a big deal. They can’t just re-submit until it passes, they have to basically re-write the whole thing from the basic concept on up.

I’m not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take the above with a grain of salt. If you want to know all of the info regarding the process as precisely as possible it’s all available online.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:39 pm Airlines donate $$$ to political parties. Political parties delay implementation to appease their donors. Airlines are opposed to the new rules. More pilots = Less $$$ for companies.
Who does ALPA donate to?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Duukar wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm Transport Canada is supposed to govern and protect us in an industry frought with danger.
You totally misunderstand the mandate of TC. They are not there to protect you. TC has a mandate to protect the public. When you step into an airplane to fly passengers for revenue, TC doesn't give a hoot about you, the mandated concern for TC is the passengers you are carrying, and the public on the ground over which you will fly.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The fates of pilots and passengers are intimately intertwined. Until we have passengers flying in drones they will remain so.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

In most cases, pilots are quite literally the first ones at the scene of the crash. Passengers arrive a fraction of a second later. Any law that protects the passengers also protects the pilots.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:44 pm
Duukar wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm Does anyone else feel a growing sense of betrayal over the delay in implementing duty regulation changes?

There is a problem. They have admitted it by nearly pulling the trigger on changes twice since 2014. Four years later we still wait.

Money above safety. Shameful.

When an accident happens due to fatigue I hope Transport Canada is prepared to be buried under lawsuits galore.

Transport Canada is supposed to govern and protect us in an industry frought with danger. Instead they are beholden to money.

I'm sick to my stomach.
Where did you come to think that the government was your friend or there to help the people? My whole life, the government has only helped themselves and big business... it's a rather famous saying that one of the biggest lies out there is, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."
You are dreaming if you think Big Business likes government. Government gets in the way of free enterprise. Everyone loves layers and layers of red tape.
1 action equals dealing bureaucracy on a municipal, provincial and federal level.

How do you think the oil industry feels about government intervention? Hmmmm....... How many times can you move the benchmark for getting a pipeline approved and then unapproved.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

bobcaygeon wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:16 am You are dreaming if you think Big Business likes government. Government gets in the way of free enterprise. Everyone loves layers and layers of red tape.
1 action equals dealing bureaucracy on a municipal, provincial and federal level.

How do you think the oil industry feels about government intervention? Hmmmm....... How many times can you move the benchmark for getting a pipeline approved and then unapproved.
Do not think that the "environmental movement" is not just anther big business. One only needs to follow the money (lawyers are expensive), the motivation and the actual outcomes achieved to see a business model in full operation.

You do make a fair point, the government is a pain in everyone's backside... usually right around the wallet area. However, big business has the ear of government much more than the citizenry that the government is supposed to be representing. Case in point, the massive lobbying effort that is very successful in keeping much needed regulatory changes from happening with regards to fatigue management and duty times.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Mach1 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am
bobcaygeon wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:16 am You are dreaming if you think Big Business likes government. Government gets in the way of free enterprise. Everyone loves layers and layers of red tape.

Do not think that the "environmental movement" is not just anther big business. One only needs to follow the money (lawyers are expensive), the motivation and the actual outcomes achieved to see a business model in full operation.

You do make a fair point, the government is a pain in everyone's backside... usually right around the wallet area. However, big business has the ear of government much more than the citizenry that the government is supposed to be representing. Case in point, the massive lobbying effort that is very successful in keeping much needed regulatory changes from happening with regards to fatigue management and duty times.
The environmental movement is just making the oil go by train which is far more accident prone or using older pipelines. I'll take 21st century safety standards thanks and $$$ that stay within the country to be used for environmental concerns and improvements vs into the middle east. (That's a whole different topic.) Piston airplanes burn less fuel then jets, should we downsize and go back to them?

Quebec is hilarious with their grandstanding but their equalization check is dripping with oil.

ALPA and company have resources too.

Personally I don't think anyone wants TC to do this on their own as they pretty much manage to "F#!%" everything up.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

From an old guy.....
You need to understand that the public service has only one mission.
That mission would be the protection of the public service.
Everyone in that godforsaken place thinks that everyone outside of government is a nefarious street gang type who is out to destroy everything that exists.
Crazy thinking of course, but that is the prevailing mindset.
You only need to google the subject and you will find tons of stuff.
They....don't......care......
Had the unfortunate experience to work there. Thought I had a not bad, if not a great, job.
It was the worst hell I saw. Coming from a minion that saw the world, says a lot, I have never seen such combination of apathy, ill intent, and downright evil.
Escaped after five years.
I wish I would have an answer to the problem, but I don't. One thing for sure, transport Canada will do zero for you.
Seems like union type organisations are the only hope.
Cheers,

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”