8 minute Video Montage of my Flight journey thus far...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

8 minute Video Montage of my Flight journey thus far...

Post by astroguy »

Video Montage of my Flight journey thus far...
8 minutes of flying thrills!
alot of my goof ups and successes in the Comco Ikarus C 42 Rotax 912 at Ontario Advanced Ultralights in Kingston Ontario Canada.

BTW I do know that I screwed up my power on stall with aileron inputs that actually increased my AoA on the dropping wing making it worse.... yes it is hard to watch.... but it was my first power on stall ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GE7_AqrZbA
---------- ADS -----------

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 8 minute Video Montage of my Flight journey thus far...

Post by astroguy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWrG3_YqGZc
here is an excellent video showing exactly what I did wrong with my power on stall as far as aileron inputs...primal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWrG3_YqGZc

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

What benefit was the instructor hoping to achieve by allowing you to thump it on the grass prior to the threshold? What was the purpose of an approach to a very narrow (30'?) strip in the early stages of your training? What is the dual rate on this A/C?

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

SkySailor wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:08 pm What benefit was the instructor hoping to achieve by allowing you to thump it on the grass prior to the threshold? What was the purpose of an approach to a very narrow (30'?) strip in the early stages of your training? What is the dual rate on this A/C?
Well... no he wasn't allowing this but it was high crosswind conditions during my very first attempts at flying Rt. seat... and with the central stick it ends up being a situation where you flip your left hand from normal throttle control to aileron and elevator control plus then you now use you're right hand for throttle control instead of the aileron elevator control.... totally mirrored . Then to make matters worse the rudder applicaton stays the same without change over... basically brain overload... you can see my right hand close the throttle when I should have been doing the opposite but it is the hardest thing I've done in flying thus far... sure a different site picture but really flipping your hands on major controls but not flipping your feet. Plus the wind gustiing which he said was now gone was clearly not gone as you watch my approach. I really do feel obviously that I shouldn't have been trying this first time under such wind conditions in such a light craft... my reactions have to go through a mirror imaging processing in my brain and that is proving to be something of a force to be rekoned with... but leaving the foot rudder controls non mirrored.... basically my CPU between my ears was running at 100 percent.... It is hard to post my mistakes really and very cringy to watch but I post anyhow. At my place of employment in the medical field alot of people do not point out their mistakes but no matter how embarrasing a mistake I make... I will always bring it forth hoping that it helps in some way. It's warts and all...
The approach to a very narrow strip is not me flying... I'm just along for a ride where the PIC heard about this area with a small private runway and lots for sale around it so he wanted to check it out... I posted it because I was actually quite scared at the time.... we had alot of speed and the trees were not far off our wings and all that rotor was real ... then to make matters worse the runway climbs very significantly at the end. Again I post these as things that are not perfect.
The aircraft is an advanced ultralight or LSA anywhere else in the world.... rents for $145 per hour plus $50 per hour if dual. I put 5 hours initially in the world of GA flying a 172 and once all was said an done with dual and debrief it was just under $300 per hour.
An old guy like me just wants to fly so GA was not the right fit due to cost. I could stop flying today but live the rest of my days happy and content in the fact that I've tackled something that I have always figured I wasn't good enough or ever have the time or money. I love it.
Thanks for the contact

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

It is refreshing to read about someone so enthusiastic about flying.

Enjoy ....

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “General Comments”