Garneau says Bombardier can't be favoured in Bids.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Garneau says Bombardier can't be favoured in Bids.

Post by rookiepilot »

Funniest fiction I've read today. (On Via tender).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/via-ra ... -1.4922638

"Quebec premier demands Trudeau government intervene".

Or else? They will cut off my cheese curd supply?
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Garneau says Bombardier can't be favoured in Bids.

Post by daedalusx »

Has BBD ever delivered a train order on time in the last 10 years ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Hey they won a contract.....for Montreal. :prayer:

https://www.bombardier.com/en/media/new ... -year=2002

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Bombardier has in fact turned into a joke. Hard for me to say since I live in Montreal, but hey, gotta call a spade a spade.
I could not believe how their current little jerk of ceo, who I actually met as a Pratt and Whitney employee, would play the political poker game and hold the taxpayer over a barrel for a welfare bailout. Same tactics at Pratt.
Pretty sick, it is what it is.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

For The BBD fan club....again.

Why not take the next nice pile of money you would see flushed down the toilet at BBD, and give it to a successful company like Viking, and help them become more successful?

There is a principle there.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Probably because Viking doesn’t have the industrial capacity or the supplier networks or the existing market capital or the market feelers.

BBD might be mismanaged, but there still isn’t another company like it in Canada, and it’s not something that can be thrown up overnight courtesy of the taxpayer.

You might as well give it to the guy who has some computer renderings and a vision to built the Super Arrow in Canada. All he needs is everything and billions upon billions of dollars.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Excuse me but who do you think kept all those de Havilland things going all those years? Viking didn't do any of the hard work to get that junk certified. I'm very happy for Viking, I would have liked to get involved with them when I was a pup; just don't kiss off Bombardier because they learned to play the game better than pretty much every other company. If your Daddy offers you a $100 and the car for a night, do you say no because you think there's no money for your sister?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

xsbank wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:24 pm Excuse me but who do you think kept all those de Havilland things going all those years? Viking didn't do any of the hard work to get that junk certified. I'm very happy for Viking, I would have liked to get involved with them when I was a pup; just don't kiss off Bombardier because they learned to play the game better than pretty much every other company. If your Daddy offers you a $100 and the car for a night, do you say no because you think there's no money for your sister?
Bombardier is more like your dad gave you $100 and the car to get pizza for your family, and then you pocketed the $100 as a bonus for all your hard work, then used his credit card to pay for the pizza.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:07 pm
xsbank wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:24 pm Excuse me but who do you think kept all those de Havilland things going all those years? Viking didn't do any of the hard work to get that junk certified. I'm very happy for Viking, I would have liked to get involved with them when I was a pup; just don't kiss off Bombardier because they learned to play the game better than pretty much every other company. If your Daddy offers you a $100 and the car for a night, do you say no because you think there's no money for your sister?
Bombardier is more like your dad gave you $100 and the car to get pizza for your family, and then you pocketed the $100 as a bonus for all your hard work, then used his credit card to pay for the pizza.
And then, to complete the analogy, wrapped the car around a tree on the way home from the pizzeria...

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Then that tree fell on the powerlines and cut off the power to the whole city

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

And then all of dads friends praised him for ordering his family some pizza...

<Insert slow clap>

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Lots of interesting comments AGAIN, about Bombardier.
So, do we buy Canadian, or not? Do we support Canadian businesses, products and industries, or not?
The vocal minority have all but killed our oil and gas industry because they think we should all be in electric cars, cycling, or using windmill power.
Not only that, but what Federal Minister would be stupid enough to advocate NOT favoring a Canadian company over other bids?
Have we lost our minds???

Le Canada anglais a besoin de se réveiller. Quelle chose stupide à faire???

Gino Under

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Gino, what benefit has Bombardier provided for the Canada located outside of Quebec?

What benefit has Alberta’s oil and gas provided for the Canada outside of Alberta?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Gino Under wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am Lots of interesting comments AGAIN, about Bombardier.
So, do we buy Canadian, or not? Do we support Canadian businesses, products and industries, or not?
The vocal minority have all but killed our oil and gas industry because they think we should all be in electric cars, cycling, or using windmill power.
Not only that, but what Federal Minister would be stupid enough to advocate NOT favoring a Canadian company over other bids?
Have we lost our minds???

Le Canada anglais a besoin de se réveiller. Quelle chose stupide à faire???

Gino Under
You spelled Quebec wrong.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

So, why are Canadians in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario and B.C. blocking the pipeline??? I'm a Quebec resident in favour of a pipeline to the East coast. Right now, it's Saudi oil being imported to the East coast and everyone from Nfld, to the Manitoba border is pumping Saudi oil into their vehicles. With the resources we have and the regs we have, why isn't that oil Canadian oil???? We send our oil to the U.S. to be refined and they sell it back to us at market prices while our oil companies get screwed by the Americans and the Greenies in Canada. Something's out of whack team. But, if you want to blame Quebec ...

Wait a sec, you've only mentioned Quebec. Yes. The politics in this province is a joke. Mr. Dressup is going to get skinned by Quebec (if not the entire country) in the next Fed election. He's hated in this province. Every 4 years there seems to be someone to blame and therefore oust. Legault should have stayed with Air Transat. He's assembled a government of separatists under the CAQ banner. English Canada has rightfully developed a dislike for this province but to be honest, there are some areas where I think it is completely unwarranted. If you think Bombardier is useless and incompetent, just count the number of Dash 8s and CRJs whizzing around. Think about the residual companies that benefit. Trains? It shouldn't take much of an effort to find out what role Bombardier plays in the world of rail. (The TTC debacle was pretty much a 50-50 fuccup, so if you blame BBD, you have to also blame the TTC)

If Canadian taxpayers are going to be unwilling investors in Bombardier (of which I'm one) then Canadians should expect and demand a return. Quebekers also deserve a return, after all it's their provincial Government's Caisse de depot that's in for not a penny, but a pound with C Series. Cutting off the support is a preposterous suggestion. What other airplane or train manufacturer of the scale and scope of BBD do we have???
(Please don't suggest Viking)

Alberta has provided Canada with an economic engine. But the vocal minority environmental lobby funded by American interests have doused that flame. Canadians will take awhile to wake up. The U.S. doesn't want our oil and gas industry to get to the open market and by blocking a pipeline through any lobbying means, means we shut down the Alberta Oil Sands so that unsold Canadian oil will be American oil sold in its place. Who will suffer? Go stand in front of a mirror.

This isn't about Quebec. But I agree, Quebec is the spoiled child in this confederation we call Canada.
I understand the 'separatist' tone in Alberta. But, like Quebec, this country doesn't have a divorce court for disgruntled provinces. Neither province is going to separate any time soon.

Quebec haters, carry on.

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It’s called competition, and Irving Oil—being a private enterprise—chooses to buy easily available and sweet Saudi Crude rather than spending billions on cat crackers to turn Alberta Tar into something other than roofing shingles or road sealant. It’s why we are enjoying low gas prices across the nation instead of the $2+ per litre we’d have in a Canadian market protected by tariffs and boycotts.

I find it ironic that those independent hardworking true blue Alberta Conservatives are always the first to scream for government intervention as soon as times get tough.

Maybe we could call it the National Energy Program 2.0. But heaven forbid the Federal Government get a return on investment. ;)

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Gino, you can take it as an insult towards Quebec, but my question still stands.

How much revenue has Bombardier directly provided to Canada, versus oil and gas?

How much government welfare has each received?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

iflyforpie wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am I find it ironic that those independent hardworking true blue Alberta Conservatives are always the first to scream for government intervention as soon as times get tough.
Completely wrong.

Albertans want less government intervention, not more.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Donald

Absolutely NO offence taken.
Dialogue, even when opinions and perspectives may differ, is still a good thing.
Occasionally, my opinions and perspectives are changed by considering what others have to say.

I find it disgusting any Canadian government official wouldn't support Canadian businesses over foreign. My thought was simply the fact that the GoC has given this company millions over the years. Wouldn't it make sense, if they were interested in seeing some of that money back, that they would take a somewhat different position?

I also happen to think it's juvenile and uninformed ignorance to simply . sh*t at Quebec (or any province for that matter) for everything that comes its way.

Gino Under

Return to “General Comments”