850 mb chart

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

850 mb chart

Post by Posthumane »

I may have missed some sort of announcement about this, but is the 850 mb upper air chart no longer a thing in Canada? Every time I try to access it on the Nav Canada flight planning website it comes up as a missing image. I have tried it numerous times from various computers over the last few months and get the same problem every time, so I don't think it's a connection problem on my end or a temporary issue on the site. Any one have any insight?
---------- ADS -----------

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
flyingsti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 850 mb chart

Post by flyingsti »

If it's a temporary issue it sure is a long one. It's been like that for 2 years now and I'm not sure if it's going to get fixed. Might just be lack of demand for the chart.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

https://www.weather.gc.ca/analysis/index_e.html
Just curious, why would you want it?

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Thanks. I wonder why it's available on the Environment Canada website, and not the NavCanada website.

I find the upper air charts helpful for getting a complete weather picture, and when flying an unpressurized piston aircraft (below 10000') the 850 and 700mb charts are best for getting an idea of winds and temps. Not that I really missed it that much, just was curious why it disappeared from AWWS.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Comments”