King Air PIC or Dash FO?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NEJO79
Rank 0
Rank 0

King Air PIC or Dash FO?

Post by NEJO79 »

I have an offer to either go King Air Captain or Dash classic FO. Was just wondering if I were to go to the airlines in the futue, which experience would hold more value?
---------- ADS -----------

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: King Air PIC or Dash FO?

Post by MarkyMark90 »

PIC

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

PIC is King. Pays better, too.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tired of the ground »

It depends what you want. If you want to get to the airlines faster, take the job where you'll fly more hours.

If you're enjoying the journey, take the King Air. PIC time will make you a better pilot and probably pays more. Also, if you eventually decide not to go to the airlines, PIC is king.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

I agree with the above. Don't chase the size of the metal, PIC is king especially if you don't already have a bunch.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If you don't have your ATPL yet, then definitely PIC time.
If you do have your ATPL, and you are absolutely certain you want to go to the airlines, then take a 705 position.

Me, I'd take the PIC job any day though...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Depends. Is it a Dash at a real airline (Jazz in this case)? If it's still flying up north then I'd take the King Air PIC. If it was the option to go to a regional, then I'd take the Dash as the long term earnings are substantially higher and come with all the perks like de-ice, safety, interline benefits, a real schedule, progression to mainline, and the fact that now a days you can probably upgraded in about a year anyways.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

If the music stopped tomorrow, you'd be better served with some PIC time. PIC always opens more doors than SIC time. Especially if you have no previous multi-turbine PIC in the first place. That FO job will be waiting for you once you get 1000 hours in the left seat anyway.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:36 pm Depends. Is it a Dash at a real airline (Jazz in this case)? If it's still flying up north then I'd take the King Air PIC. If it was the option to go to a regional, then I'd take the Dash as the long term earnings are substantially higher and come with all the perks like de-ice, safety, interline benefits, a real schedule, progression to mainline, and the fact that now a days you can probably upgraded in about a year anyways.
Cant upgrade without the PIC time

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What are you flying now?

If you don't have any PIC, you should probably, but not necessarily take the PIC job... But even then I'd probably take the -8 job.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Deleted

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Depends on how much multi-PIC you currently have and how quick the upgrade will be on the Dash-8.

You need an ATPL to go anywhere in this industry. If you don't have that already, get it as fast as you can.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

goleafsgo wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:36 pm Depends. Is it a Dash at a real airline (Jazz in this case)? If it's still flying up north then I'd take the King Air PIC. If it was the option to go to a regional, then I'd take the Dash as the long term earnings are substantially higher and come with all the perks like de-ice, safety, interline benefits, a real schedule, progression to mainline, and the fact that now a days you can probably upgraded in about a year anyways.
I guess if you have 0 pic, but if you're coming into the airline with 400-500 pic, its easy at a lot of them to get PICUS for those last few harder to get hours. Jazz, Porter, are upgrading guys in as little as 8 months with fresh ATPs. You fly more and will likely make the same or more money, and likely have a better lifestyle (depending on what you value of course, bigger city vs northern station).

Seniority means a lot more in this industry than PIC does at the moment.

You guys are absolutely right that PIC is king, but with the short upgrade times right now, and the fact that a lot of regionals fly substantially more than a lot of King Airs do, there's not a lot of good reasons not to go to the airline if its an option.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:48 pm
I guess if you have 0 pic, but if you're coming into the airline with 400-500 pic, its easy at a lot of them to get PICUS for those last few harder to get hours. Jazz, Porter, are upgrading guys in as little as 8 months with fresh ATPs. You fly more and will likely make the same or more money, and likely have a better lifestyle (depending on what you value of course, bigger city vs northern station).

Seniority means a lot more in this industry than PIC does at the moment.

You guys are absolutely right that PIC is king, but with the short upgrade times right now, and the fact that a lot of regionals fly substantially more than a lot of King Airs do, there's not a lot of good reasons not to go to the airline if its an option.
I'd have to agree at the moment. "When the music stops" it's better to be at the 705 with a seniority number I would think. All the PIC might not matter.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Amazing to read the OP and all the answers.
Does no one actually love flying enough anymore to say...let me fly. Pay me , and treat me fairly?
It seems it is always about the next step up the ladder, so to speak.
I find it amazing that any real pilot would choose the right seat when the left seatis available , at such an early stage of their career.
You youngins are so busy worrying about the music and the big show. In 20 years , Ask the 20 somethings now,who are sitting right seat at the big show, , hiw much they have enjoyed being apilot. With 20 years left in their career.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

That's the biggest fallacy in this industry, there's guys/gals/hermaphrodites upgrading to Captain at every airline in Canada, and all without ever holding a Captains seat...ever! Scary I know, but as long as you have an ATPL, it doesn't matter...seniority matters!
Now, should the industry come to a screeching halt, for example 9/11, or 2008-2011, then you would be wise to have PIC time!

Keep the dirty side down.
sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

trey kule wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:47 pm Amazing to read the OP and all the answers.
Does no one actually love flying enough anymore to say...let me fly. Pay me , and treat me fairly?
I find it amazing that any real pilot would choose the right seat when the left seatis available , at such an early stage of their career.
You youngins are so busy worrying about the music and the big show. In 20 years , Ask the 20 somethings now,who are sitting right seat at the big show, , hiw much they have enjoyed being apilot. With 20 years left in their career.

You got it. I've never had a guy say I'm glad I missed out on that when showing them pictures of some of my past flying. "It's always I wish I had a chance to do that"
the rush to the airline means a lot of missed chances to expand your horizons.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

sarg wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 am
trey kule wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:47 pm Amazing to read the OP and all the answers.

You got it. I've never had a guy say I'm glad I missed out on that when showing them pictures of some of my past flying. "It's always I wish I had a chance to do that"
the rush to the airline means a lot of missed chances to expand your horizons.
The OP wasn't asking what to apply for. He has two offers on the table. Just looking for a little friendly input. He'll obviously have a preference, just wants to make sure he doesn't overlook some detail about pic vs 705 time that might hurt his resume.

JavaJoe18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JavaJoe18 »

I was in a similar position a year or so ago. Went to the 705 machine. Wish i had gone and got the PIC first now.

Get the PIC if you still require it for the A's. The 705 job will most likely be there in a year or so.
Cheers

NEJO79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NEJO79 »

Thanks for the response everyone. Maybe I should've been more specific. My Atpl is submitted I have around 900 hours pic, all single engines. Just to clarify, I'm not really in a hurry to get to the airlines. The company im at gives me a decent lifestyle. It is all northern flying. Was just curious if airlines would rather take a guy with 703 multi PIC over 705 SIC with single engine PIC.

Return to “General Comments”