Pilot Currency

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gogo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pilot Currency

Post by gogo »

Hello everyone,

I am not having any luck trying to find information pertaining to a Charter Pilot (Canadian) flying in European Airspace. Basically looking for the fine print that states pilots need to complete a proficiency check yearly. Also, does anyone know how often someone needs to be re-trained if they are taking credit for HUD usage?

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Max6462
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pilot Currency

Post by Max6462 »

Hi, Same question here.

All I could see that could answer is this:
Recency Requirements
401.05 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Subpart, no holder of a flight crew permit, licence or rating, other than the holder of a flight engineer licence, shall exercise the privileges of the permit, licence or rating unless

(a) the holder has acted as pilot-in-command or co-pilot of an aircraft within the five years preceding the flight; or

(b) within the 12 months preceding the flight

(i) the holder has completed a flight review, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, conducted by the holder of a flight instructor rating for the same category of aircraft,

(ii) the flight instructor who conducted the flight review has certified in the holder’s personal log that the holder meets the skill requirements for the issuance of the permit or licence set out in the personnel licensing standards, and

(iii) the holder has successfully completed the appropriate examination specified in the personnel licensing standards.

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Subpart, no holder of a flight crew permit or licence, other than the holder of a flight engineer licence, shall exercise the privileges of the permit or licence in an aircraft unless the holder

(a) has successfully completed a recurrent training program in accordance with the personnel licensing standards within the 24 months preceding the flight; and

(b) where a passenger other than a flight test examiner designated by the Minister is carried on board the aircraft, has completed, within the six months preceding the flight,

(i) in the case of an aircraft other than a glider or a balloon, in the same category and class of aircraft as the aircraft, or in a Level B, C or D simulator of the same category and class as the aircraft, at least

(A) five night or day take-offs and five night or day landings, if the flight is conducted wholly by day, or

(B) five night take-offs and five night landings, if the flight is conducted wholly or partly by night,

Last edited by Max6462 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max6462
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Max6462 »

And CAR 421.40 :
"(5) Credits for Foreign Applicants:

(a) Qualifying Flight Requirement
(amended 2000/09/01)
The holder of a licence issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the qualifying flight requirement specified in 3(c)(iii), 3(g)(iii), 3(k)(ii), and 3(l) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 10 hours pilot-in-command flight time on the appropriate aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for rating;
(amended 2005/06/01)

(b) Pilot Proficiency Check Requirement
The holder of a licence with a two-crew type rating issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the Pilot Proficiency Check requirement specified in 3(a)(iii), 3(b)(iii), 3(f)(iii), and 3(g)(ii) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 50 hours flight time on that aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for the rating.
(amended 2005/06/01)

Max6462
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Max6462 »

Has anyone a different view about this ?
My understanding is that CAR 703.91 (2) and 703.91(3) for instance only apply to Canadian operators.
Therefore, CAR 421.40 is sufficient when operating for a foreign operator.
However, would it also apply for a Canadian pilot operating foreign registered aircraft abroad under a validation of a Canadian license ( ie, not holding a license issued by a contracting state ) ?
Cheers !

Return to “General Comments”