First Day as a new First Officer

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: First Day as a new First Officer

Post by MrAviator19 »

trey kule wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 am Never, never, touch anything in the cockpit.
Not even flaps?! We are, after all, "Quality Flap Operators"! :D
---------- ADS -----------

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

MrAviator19 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:22 am Not even flaps?! We are, after all, "Quality Flap Operators"! :D
Until you bring the gear handle up :lol:

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm First day flying out of and into YYZ in the mighty Dash 8:

Taxiing out, we were number 20 for departure, and ground said to us "Tower 118.35." I figured that meant contact the tower. When I did, and told them we were ready in sequence, the Tower controller said "You have 20 in front of you. What do you want me to do about it!?!"

I didn't realize we were just supposed to monitor tower frequency.

Coming back to YYZ, we landed on 24L, and I switched to ground frequency before crossing 24R. I figure we're on a taxiway, so I should be on ground frequency!

Never, EVER switch to ground between the runways unless you want every controller to yell at you on the way in and make you call the tower supervisor. After, my captain was laughing though and said "Oh yeah, I should have given you a heads up about those things."

I walked around with my tail between my legs the rest of the day lol.
The YYZ controllers are ruthless! Almost too much sometimes...as if they never make mistakes. But they are busy and they sure hate when you waste their time.

I did that exact same thing between the runways! Ground tore me a new one!

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm First day flying out of and into YYZ in the mighty Dash 8:

Taxiing out, we were number 20 for departure, and ground said to us "Tower 118.35." I figured that meant contact the tower. When I did, and told them we were ready in sequence, the Tower controller said "You have 20 in front of you. What do you want me to do about it!?!"

I didn't realize we were just supposed to monitor tower frequency.

Coming back to YYZ, we landed on 24L, and I switched to ground frequency before crossing 24R. I figure we're on a taxiway, so I should be on ground frequency!

Never, EVER switch to ground between the runways unless you want every controller to yell at you on the way in and make you call the tower supervisor. After, my captain was laughing though and said "Oh yeah, I should have given you a heads up about those things."

I walked around with my tail between my legs the rest of the day lol.
The YYZ controllers are ruthless! Almost too much sometimes...as if they never make mistakes. But they are busy and they sure hate when you waste their time.

I did that exact same thing between the runways! Ground tore me a new one!
Line indoctrination in YYZ....

I am pretty sure I was still sitting at the departure gate in YYZ when the aircraft landed at destination on my very 1st segment. My ass might have been in the aircraft but dang, my head sure wasn't LOL!!!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 pm
The funny thing is, I've heard more transmissions from ATC wasting time than I've ever heard from pilots in CYYZ. Most memorable one was when tower thought it was a good time to chew out an international crew/FO as he was giving them take off clearance because they were a bit slow on the radio. Great contribution to flight safety!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Mr. Aviator 19

Don’t make me bring out the duck tape...... :smt040

On a more serious note. You are not thefirst to have these questions. And the person in the left seat has been there before as well. And chances are they have had experience with others like you, before you.

Relax. Work hard and all will be well

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
MsTouchandGo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MsTouchandGo »

Teeg wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 am I had a few thousand hours teaching people to fly Seminoles... and I distinctly remembering being in the dowinwind at Tbay at 4500 and 250 kts in a Moo2 being told "ya fucked up that descent profile".
Plan ahead. The 3 and 1 rule still applies. Always think about "what if". Im convinced 500hrs is about what it takes to figure out the aircraft/operation... and then you fight complacency.
Good luck
If you were flying with Laurie, don't feel bad! She probably said the same thing on your 100th day. :) haha

Return to “General Comments”