Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by pianokeys » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:35 am

Justin Trudeau touched some woman’s cans at a music festival in B.C. eighteen years ago, it made the news. He ain’t innocent. May not be a pussy grabber but he’s not immune to the siren call of a lady.

Back on topic of AC 320s AA 320s, ours were purchased thanks to Brian Mulroney getting a kickback.
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by av8ts » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:54 pm

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:45 pm

TRUMP. One of the only politician in the Western World who tries so hard and has succeed in many fronts to do EXACTLY what he has PROMISED to do in his campaign. He is a man of his WORD. He has HONOR in that way
I was hoping someone else was going to do this but I guess it’s left to me.
Remember the EXACTLY in caps was yours

Promise:balance the federal budget-its growing not shrinking
Promise:I would not be a President who took vacations-golf golf golf
Promise:cancel funding to sanctuary cities -court puts an end to that promise
Promise: he’d cut taxes and the rich would pay more-53% of Americans will pay more but he told his wealthy friends at Mar-A-Lago “you all just got a lot richer”
Promise:to end North Korea’s nuclear program-didn’t happen. He doesn’t even talk about it anymore
Promise:repeal and replace Obamacare with insurance for everyone-did not repeal or replace, however did cut funding so 4 million less Americans have health care
Promise:invest one trillion in crumbling infrastructure- after tax cuts for the rich there’s no money for this
Promise:bring down drug prices-didn’t happen
Promise:label China a “currency manipulator”- nope
Promise:won’t bomb Syria-boom
Promise:revive the struggling coal industry (because everyone want a job in a coal mine)-didn’t happen
Promise:release his taxes-lies
Promise: I WILL BUILD A WALL AND MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT- HA HA HA still waiting for this to happen

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. If you want to edit your EXACTLY to undercase we would understand
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by av8ts on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by C.W.E. » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Promise:release his taxes-lies
He promised to release tax-lies?

You mean he lied on his tax forms and promised to release them so the public can see them?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by confusedalot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Back on topic, I have a longtime friend who won the green card lottery way back in the 80's when Canada was not excluded. (You can thank your wonderful Canadian government for lobbying against Canadians being scooped up by the Americans because they were complaining about a brain drain).

Anyways, my buddy has been at american for what, 30 years or so? Obviously, he is near the top, but still not quite at the top.

He made 390K as a 737 captain last year.

Worse still, american pays less than the other brand names.

So boys and girls, we have been, and still are getting, screwed over big time by BS excuses why the industry here cannot pay more. So much for the good old fair and just Canadian way of doing things myth and lie. Seems to me that Canadian management is at the top of the greed pile.

Can't do much about it anymore at 60 and forcibly retired. Would be happy to witness a overturn of the present condition though.

Supply and demand in this third world country has never been seen before. Hell, they pay more in other third world countries.

Time to put your pants on and just say no. Airlines won't go bankrupt, lots of the actors are making a ton of money.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7321
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Making aviation exhausting, everywhere

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by photofly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:21 pm

...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Kirk: This is a dangerous mission. Likely, one of us will die. The landing party will be me, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Ricky.
Ensign Ricky: Aw, crap.

User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by rookiepilot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

altiplano wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:24 pm

We wouldn't elect people that are truly qualified to lead us.
This, because people don't want to elect a quality leader that will make tough decisions. The media would crucify anyone who tried, regardless how honest, strong and effective they were.

People elect whoever promises the most stuff for free, loading the debt on our children, until one day that isn't possible anymore, when bond buyers won't support our debt loads.

And the media is a willing party in this too, not being remotely a beneficial or even a patriotic influence in our country.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by Diadem » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm

confusedalot wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm
So boys and girls, we have been, and still are getting, screwed over big time by BS excuses why the industry here cannot pay more. So much for the good old fair and just Canadian way of doing things myth and lie. Seems to me that Canadian management is at the top of the greed pile.

Can't do much about it anymore at 60 and forcibly retired. Would be happy to witness a overturn of the present condition though.

Supply and demand in this third world country has never been seen before. Hell, they pay more in other third world countries.

Time to put your pants on and just say no. Airlines won't go bankrupt, lots of the actors are making a ton of money.
Actually, supply and demand is exactly what's responsible. If all the qualified pilots say no, AC will simply drop the experience requirement to 250 hours, and all the instructors making $30000/year will pounce on the opportunity; for them, $55000 is a huge raise. The reason wages have skyrocketed in the US is because they've established an artificial floor on the experience required to operate airliners, which is the exact opposite of absolute free-market supply and demand. As for management's obligation to pay more, why would they when they can still hire pilots at current wages? Their only responsibility is to maximize profits for shareholders, and giving money to employees when they don't have to will get them sacked.
If you're this upset about how little pilots earn, I'm sure you'll be leading the charge to raise the minimum wage for retail and fast food workers to $30/hour, right?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by Diadem » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm

confusedalot wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm
So boys and girls, we have been, and still are getting, screwed over big time by BS excuses why the industry here cannot pay more. So much for the good old fair and just Canadian way of doing things myth and lie. Seems to me that Canadian management is at the top of the greed pile.

Can't do much about it anymore at 60 and forcibly retired. Would be happy to witness a overturn of the present condition though.

Supply and demand in this third world country has never been seen before. Hell, they pay more in other third world countries.

Time to put your pants on and just say no. Airlines won't go bankrupt, lots of the actors are making a ton of money.
Actually, supply and demand is exactly what's responsible. If all the qualified pilots say no, AC will simply drop the experience requirement to 250 hours, and all the instructors making $30000/year will pounce on the opportunity; for them, $55000 is a huge raise. The reason wages have skyrocketed in the US is because they've established an artificial floor on the experience required to operate airliners, which is the exact opposite of absolute free-market supply and demand. As for management's obligation to pay more, why would they when they can still hire pilots at current wages? Their only responsibility is to maximize profits for shareholders, and giving money to employees when they don't have to will get them sacked.
If you're this upset about how little pilots earn, I'm sure you'll be leading the charge to raise the minimum wage for retail and fast food workers to $30/hour, right?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by confusedalot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm

sounds like a true Canadian to me. keep people poor and stupid. instead of improving things.
actually.......I would be very happy to see the working poor have a better life.
any questions?
Ah yes, canada the great......as long as the fortunate stay at the top and the inferior class know their place.
just like the British class system.

The US is far from perfect, far from it. From seeing the comments about how we are supposed to accept less than others for some reason that defies logic, pretty much tells me that Canadians actually enjoy being poorer and second class.

Meanwhile.......top 1% are filthy rich....

Think about it, the most competitive and business oriented country in the world are paying the highest rates for the hired help.

But in Canada, it is an unwritten requirement to stick your head in the sand and say yessir, pay me less for the good of the ruling class.

Two things.........

Pay is going up hugely for anyone with skills in this country. Except for airplane drivers.

As indicated before, third world countries pay more for this particular job. Pretty easy to verify.

And here we have a person justifying low pay.

Brilliant.

..
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

User avatar
C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by C-GGGQ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:37 pm

To make it to the vaunted "top 1%" in Canada, depending on location etc. You need to make a whopping $191k to $230k. Most senior captains here are the 1% it's really not that hard. Most people think of the top .01% even. 2.75 mil a year
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by Diadem » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 am

confusedalot wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm
sounds like a true Canadian to me. keep people poor and stupid. instead of improving things.
That's quite the leap: you think that me explaining the current situation means I don't want to improve things? On the contrary, I strongly advocate for the imposition of a 1500-hour rule (or better yet, a 2000- or 3000-hour rule, but it would be much harder to justify an arbitrary hour requirement than the need for an ATPL) which would apply upward pressure on wages. That's exactly what happened in the US. What you don't seem to understand is that such action would require government intervention, and that relying on free-market solutions is what has resulted in our current situation. In order to raise wages, we need to artificially reduce supply.
It's so easy for senior airline captains who are earning $250000/year to demand that every other pilot make sacrifices, so that their wages will increase to $400000/year; they don't bear any of the risk, but expect everyone else to put their careers on the line. When you're on the top of the pile and not planning to leave your job until you retire, or already retired, it's so simple to tell the 703 pilots not to work for Air Canada and double their incomes, but when you're one of those 703 pilots you're taking a huge gamble in turning down that job. You're banking on every single other pilot turning down the job until wages go up, but even if 99% of the offers are turned down, as long as AC can fill a ground school they won't have any reason to pay more. Now, those 703 pilots are in the same low-paying jobs they were in before, and there's no prospect to improve their situations. They're relying on complete and absolute solidarity among all pilots across the country to stand together when they turn down the job, and it only takes a few turds to ruin the punch. You can't expect someone who's making $30000 to stand on principle and turn down a job paying $55000 in the hopes that, at some indeterminate point in the future, it will result in higher wages until they know with complete certainty that not a single person will take that job at the offered wage.
You took a job at SkyRegional because it was the best-paying job you could get. Isn't it rather hypocritical of you to now insist that everyone else should hold out for higher-paying positions?
Edit: After thinking more about this, I realized that this proposal can be analyzed using Game Theory, and is similar to the Prisoner's Dilemma. "Regardless of what the other decides, each prisoner gets a higher reward by betraying the other ("defecting")...Because defection always results in a better payoff than cooperation regardless of the other player's choice, it is a dominant strategy." The outcome will be better for everyone if everyone cooperates, but a single person acting in their own self-interest will result in everyone else losing, and the odds of someone else defecting are very very high; being the person who defects guarantees that you will be rewarded in some way, even if the reward is not the greatest potential reward available, until the number of defectors exceeds the number of rewards available. Furthermore, in the Prisoner's Dilemma there are only two participants, and only four possible outcomes, but for every additional person there is an additional outcome possible in which that person defects; if there are combinations allowed in which more than one person can defect, then the number of possibilities increases to the square of the number of participants, if I'm not mistaken. There will always be only one possible result where everyone cooperates and therefore everyone benefits, but every additional person exponentially increases the number of outcomes in which someone defects, so the larger the group the greater the number of negative outcomes. In a very large group, such as one with around 20000 commercial pilots, there is still only one outcome where everyone cooperates, but the number of combinations possible where one or more defect is 20000^2-1. Even if we assume that there are only, say, 500 qualified applicants to AC at any one time, that's still 500^2-1 possibilities in which one or more applicants defects, and only one in which everyone cooperates. Of course, at some point the number of defectors will become so large that there will not be enough positions available for all the defectors, and so some will gain nothing, but the important point is that there is no punishment for defecting either, so there is no cost but potentially huge personal gain. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust 5 strangers to not betray me for their own benefit, let alone 500, so the rational choice is to defect.
---------- ADS -----------
  

BigQ
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: YUL-ish

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by BigQ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am

Everybody blaming others, nobody placing the blame on themselves.

What you do matters. Not Trump, not Trudeau, not CR, not ES, you.


If you strive for metal, you will lose out on pay and conditions.
If you strive for conditions, you will lose on pay and metal.
If you strive for pay, you will lose out on metal and conditions. Increase pay too much too quickly, and you might find yourself looking for a new job.

For the longest time, Big Red was the main gig in Canada, artificially propped up by the feds. Therefore, pilots were willing to sacrifice pay and conditions to get there faster. Not anymore, but now, there is some proverbial catching up to do, if you are looking for those two. Meanwhile, the US had a whole bunch of Legacy Carriers, all competing for pilots and market share, for DECADES.

If I was to guess why US airlines are profitable with such a huge payroll footprint, I would say population density and a federal government that isn't treating national aviation as a cash cow.

Politicians only want one thing. Your vote. Don't give it to them, especially if they support initiatives against your own self interest as a Canadian pilot. As of now, there are two >1% polling parties that haven't done anything to put extra burden on Canadian Aviation. The People's Party of Canada, because they are new, and the Libertarian Party, because they haven't had anyone elected federally yet, and would probably be against such actions.

Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason.
---------- ADS -----------
  

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by The5chord » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Looked at an article the other day when I was interested in this subject and saw the Delta CEO made 19mil a year about 300x the average wage at his company. Southwest CEO made a paltry 7 mil which was about 90x the 80,000 average salary.

I don’t know what the average wage is at WJ but I know Saretsky was only a 5 million dollar man. Calin makes 9 million over at AC. Still obscene but not like the lower wages for pilots in Canada are getting crowded out by CEO pay.

*was interesting to see that Bombardier paid its ceo 12 million to run that fine company. Not relevant here though.

Also supply and demand doesn’t explain this because the crunch is happening in the states but not at the legacy’s. Seems more of a regional airline issue at this point. I may have missed it I don’t see signing bonuses and CTP courses for AA, Delta, United and Southwest yet. The discrepancy in wages has existed before the crunch as well.

Please say something interesting in response to the information. I have already lost faith in some of you discussing Trumps sexual assault accusations etc which has nothing to do with this issue.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by confusedalot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Couple of things here.
First, a pilot is nothing more than hired help. Just like every clerical worker, stockroom expert, secretary, bookkeeper, mechanic, accountant and lawyer.
All of these people can walk away from low pay because they have options. Management knows this, so they pay market rates.
Airplane driver? You are fucked at the starting gate. You can't go anywhere and they know it.
So, management being what they are, will do what they have to do to save a few pennies. Scrooge can't screw over the majority of the employees because he knows they will walk. Scrooge is smart though, and he knows what he can get away with.
There is no notion of merit or justice in this game. The crude law of the jungle is the operating principle.
So play the game, they actually need you now. Get the same as pretty much everyone else already has.
I had one guy quote me 1400 dollars for eyeglasses for Christ's sakes. And he did not even blink. That is the world we live in now.
No wonder there is a pilot shortage.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:30 pm

av8ts wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:54 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:45 pm

TRUMP. One of the only politician in the Western World who tries so hard and has succeed in many fronts to do EXACTLY what he has PROMISED to do in his campaign. He is a man of his WORD. He has HONOR in that way
I was hoping someone else was going to do this but I guess it’s left to me.
Remember the EXACTLY in caps was yours

Promise:balance the federal budget-its growing not shrinking
Promise:I would not be a President who took vacations-golf golf golf
Promise:cancel funding to sanctuary cities -court puts an end to that promise
Promise: he’d cut taxes and the rich would pay more-53% of Americans will pay more but he told his wealthy friends at Mar-A-Lago “you all just got a lot richer”
Promise:to end North Korea’s nuclear program-didn’t happen. He doesn’t even talk about it anymore
Promise:repeal and replace Obamacare with insurance for everyone-did not repeal or replace, however did cut funding so 4 million less Americans have health care
Promise:invest one trillion in crumbling infrastructure- after tax cuts for the rich there’s no money for this
Promise:bring down drug prices-didn’t happen
Promise:label China a “currency manipulator”- nope
Promise:won’t bomb Syria-boom
Promise:revive the struggling coal industry (because everyone want a job in a coal mine)-didn’t happen
Promise:release his taxes-lies
Promise: I WILL BUILD A WALL AND MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT- HA HA HA still waiting for this to happen

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. If you want to edit your EXACTLY to undercase we would understand
I mentionned that he is TRYING!
---------- ADS -----------
  

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm

confusedalot wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm

He made 390K as a 737 captain last year.
That is INSANE. Lol what the hell is he doing to earn so bloody much. Probable line indoc, check pilot all the OT allowed by FAA regulations and what else?? Thats seems very high for narrow body Cpt. Thats more line China pay and even then....Care to elaborate!?
---------- ADS -----------
  

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Diadem wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 am
confusedalot wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm
sounds like a true Canadian to me. keep people poor and stupid. instead of improving things.
That's quite the leap: you think that me explaining the current situation means I don't want to improve things? On the contrary, I strongly advocate for the imposition of a 1500-hour rule (or better yet, a 2000- or 3000-hour rule, but it would be much harder to justify an arbitrary hour requirement than the need for an ATPL) which would apply upward pressure on wages. That's exactly what happened in the US. What you don't seem to understand is that such action would require government intervention, and that relying on free-market solutions is what has resulted in our current situation. In order to raise wages, we need to artificially reduce supply.
It's so easy for senior airline captains who are earning $250000/year to demand that every other pilot make sacrifices, so that their wages will increase to $400000/year; they don't bear any of the risk, but expect everyone else to put their careers on the line. When you're on the top of the pile and not planning to leave your job until you retire, or already retired, it's so simple to tell the 703 pilots not to work for Air Canada and double their incomes, but when you're one of those 703 pilots you're taking a huge gamble in turning down that job. You're banking on every single other pilot turning down the job until wages go up, but even if 99% of the offers are turned down, as long as AC can fill a ground school they won't have any reason to pay more. Now, those 703 pilots are in the same low-paying jobs they were in before, and there's no prospect to improve their situations. They're relying on complete and absolute solidarity among all pilots across the country to stand together when they turn down the job, and it only takes a few turds to ruin the punch. You can't expect someone who's making $30000 to stand on principle and turn down a job paying $55000 in the hopes that, at some indeterminate point in the future, it will result in higher wages until they know with complete certainty that not a single person will take that job at the offered wage.
You took a job at SkyRegional because it was the best-paying job you could get. Isn't it rather hypocritical of you to now insist that everyone else should hold out for higher-paying positions?
Edit: After thinking more about this, I realized that this proposal can be analyzed using Game Theory, and is similar to the Prisoner's Dilemma. "Regardless of what the other decides, each prisoner gets a higher reward by betraying the other ("defecting")...Because defection always results in a better payoff than cooperation regardless of the other player's choice, it is a dominant strategy." The outcome will be better for everyone if everyone cooperates, but a single person acting in their own self-interest will result in everyone else losing, and the odds of someone else defecting are very very high; being the person who defects guarantees that you will be rewarded in some way, even if the reward is not the greatest potential reward available, until the number of defectors exceeds the number of rewards available. Furthermore, in the Prisoner's Dilemma there are only two participants, and only four possible outcomes, but for every additional person there is an additional outcome possible in which that person defects; if there are combinations allowed in which more than one person can defect, then the number of possibilities increases to the square of the number of participants, if I'm not mistaken. There will always be only one possible result where everyone cooperates and therefore everyone benefits, but every additional person exponentially increases the number of outcomes in which someone defects, so the larger the group the greater the number of negative outcomes. In a very large group, such as one with around 20000 commercial pilots, there is still only one outcome where everyone cooperates, but the number of combinations possible where one or more defect is 20000^2-1. Even if we assume that there are only, say, 500 qualified applicants to AC at any one time, that's still 500^2-1 possibilities in which one or more applicants defects, and only one in which everyone cooperates. Of course, at some point the number of defectors will become so large that there will not be enough positions available for all the defectors, and so some will gain nothing, but the important point is that there is no punishment for defecting either, so there is no cost but potentially huge personal gain. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust 5 strangers to not betray me for their own benefit, let alone 500, so the rational choice is to defect.
Great analysis!!!
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by confusedalot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:38 pm

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm
confusedalot wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 pm

He made 390K as a 737 captain last year.
That is INSANE. Lol what the hell is he doing to earn so bloody much. Probable line indoc, check pilot all the OT allowed by FAA regulations and what else?? Thats seems very high for narrow body Cpt. Thats more line China pay and even then....Care to elaborate!?
No bullshit, neither from me and neither from my buddy. I say again, no bullshit.

That person is a really good guy who has zero reason to lie. And, may I add, he is a former Canadian.

As far as elaboration is concerned, it is simply all about the rather boring pay structure details. Nope, not a checker, not management, not about bonuses or anything like that. Simple line captain, but he is at the top of the scale after decades.

Which brings me to the real problem here in canadastan. For some strange reason that my limited brain capacity cannot grasp, this population chooses to accept whatever scraps are thrown at them, and worse still, pay levels for virtually everyone else in this sorry country keep going up, and up, and up.
But noooo.............airplane drivers are somehow required by some unwritten law to be happy with what they get.
FedEx, Delta, and a few others pay more than American.
Man, I was born in the wrong country. Living a limited life having done the same job that others around the world actually made a decent life.
As many have said, no wonder there is a looming pilot shortage.
For the sceptics, you only need to spend 3 minutes googling the facts.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

User avatar
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: location, location, is what matters

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by confusedalot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Diadem wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 am
confusedalot wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm
sounds like a true Canadian to me. keep people poor and stupid. instead of improving things.
That's quite the leap: you think that me explaining the current situation means I don't want to improve things? On the contrary, I strongly advocate for the imposition of a 1500-hour rule (or better yet, a 2000- or 3000-hour rule, but it would be much harder to justify an arbitrary hour requirement than the need for an ATPL) which would apply upward pressure on wages. That's exactly what happened in the US. What you don't seem to understand is that such action would require government intervention, and that relying on free-market solutions is what has resulted in our current situation. In order to raise wages, we need to artificially reduce supply.
It's so easy for senior airline captains who are earning $250000/year to demand that every other pilot make sacrifices, so that their wages will increase to $400000/year; they don't bear any of the risk, but expect everyone else to put their careers on the line. When you're on the top of the pile and not planning to leave your job until you retire, or already retired, it's so simple to tell the 703 pilots not to work for Air Canada and double their incomes, but when you're one of those 703 pilots you're taking a huge gamble in turning down that job. You're banking on every single other pilot turning down the job until wages go up, but even if 99% of the offers are turned down, as long as AC can fill a ground school they won't have any reason to pay more. Now, those 703 pilots are in the same low-paying jobs they were in before, and there's no prospect to improve their situations. They're relying on complete and absolute solidarity among all pilots across the country to stand together when they turn down the job, and it only takes a few turds to ruin the punch. You can't expect someone who's making $30000 to stand on principle and turn down a job paying $55000 in the hopes that, at some indeterminate point in the future, it will result in higher wages until they know with complete certainty that not a single person will take that job at the offered wage.
You took a job at SkyRegional because it was the best-paying job you could get. Isn't it rather hypocritical of you to now insist that everyone else should hold out for higher-paying positions?
Edit: After thinking more about this, I realized that this proposal can be analyzed using Game Theory, and is similar to the Prisoner's Dilemma. "Regardless of what the other decides, each prisoner gets a higher reward by betraying the other ("defecting")...Because defection always results in a better payoff than cooperation regardless of the other player's choice, it is a dominant strategy." The outcome will be better for everyone if everyone cooperates, but a single person acting in their own self-interest will result in everyone else losing, and the odds of someone else defecting are very very high; being the person who defects guarantees that you will be rewarded in some way, even if the reward is not the greatest potential reward available, until the number of defectors exceeds the number of rewards available. Furthermore, in the Prisoner's Dilemma there are only two participants, and only four possible outcomes, but for every additional person there is an additional outcome possible in which that person defects; if there are combinations allowed in which more than one person can defect, then the number of possibilities increases to the square of the number of participants, if I'm not mistaken. There will always be only one possible result where everyone cooperates and therefore everyone benefits, but every additional person exponentially increases the number of outcomes in which someone defects, so the larger the group the greater the number of negative outcomes. In a very large group, such as one with around 20000 commercial pilots, there is still only one outcome where everyone cooperates, but the number of combinations possible where one or more defect is 20000^2-1. Even if we assume that there are only, say, 500 qualified applicants to AC at any one time, that's still 500^2-1 possibilities in which one or more applicants defects, and only one in which everyone cooperates. Of course, at some point the number of defectors will become so large that there will not be enough positions available for all the defectors, and so some will gain nothing, but the important point is that there is no punishment for defecting either, so there is no cost but potentially huge personal gain. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust 5 strangers to not betray me for their own benefit, let alone 500, so the rational choice is to defect.
Hummm.........
The fact that you took the time to identify me as a former sky regional employee like some bullshit cop gives me the willies.
But anyway, you did not seem to understand why I ended up there in the first place.
Can U say "previous employer ceased operations?". No you can't, cuz it never happenned to you.
Can U say " I have to pay the bills?". Nope, yer all comfy and cozy in your very secure job.
Can U say "I am 52 and I am out of a job?"
Nope, yer 40 and you think you are invincible. Nothing bad is going to happen to you, right?

Never pull that kind of shit on me again. I have done a whole hell of a lot more than sky regional in my life. As in, rather large pieces of metal going around the world.

But enough of you, in my old age defined by aviation as 60, perhaps I would like to assist the up and comers to NOT fall for the BS that the beancounters foist on their employees.

Low pay for pilots as a necessity is total bullshit.

15% of employees are airplane drivers, which means that everyone else are in skillsets that are required by any industry. And guess what, those 85% get standard pay increases just like the rest of the whole wide world.
Pilots are supposed to accept substandard pay? Really? What?
Explain please.
In case you have not noticed, cost for everything keeps going up and up.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by C.W.E. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm

15% of employees are airplane drivers, which means that everyone else are in skillsets that are required by any industry. And guess what, those 85% get standard pay increases just like the rest of the whole wide world.
Pilots are supposed to accept substandard pay? Really? What?
Explain please.
The employers could lower the wages and there would still be pilots who would fly for them because they just love to fly.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by Diadem » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 am

confusedalot wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm
Hummm.........
The fact that you took the time to identify me as a former sky regional employee like some bullshit cop gives me the willies.
But anyway, you did not seem to understand why I ended up there in the first place.
Can U say "previous employer ceased operations?". No you can't, cuz it never happenned to you.
Can U say " I have to pay the bills?". Nope, yer all comfy and cozy in your very secure job.
Can U say "I am 52 and I am out of a job?"
Nope, yer 40 and you think you are invincible. Nothing bad is going to happen to you, right?

Never pull that kind of shit on me again. I have done a whole hell of a lot more than sky regional in my life. As in, rather large pieces of metal going around the world.

But enough of you, in my old age defined by aviation as 60, perhaps I would like to assist the up and comers to NOT fall for the BS that the beancounters foist on their employees.

Low pay for pilots as a necessity is total bullshit.

15% of employees are airplane drivers, which means that everyone else are in skillsets that are required by any industry. And guess what, those 85% get standard pay increases just like the rest of the whole wide world.
Pilots are supposed to accept substandard pay? Really? What?
Explain please.
In case you have not noticed, cost for everything keeps going up and up.
Actually, you have identified yourself as a former SkyRegional employee, repeatedly, over and over. Do you also get "the willies" when someone you've met before passes by you and recognizes you? Do you go off on crazy rants, asking them how they know who you are and intimating that they're stalking you?
I find it pretty hilarious that you don't recognize the hypocrisy in your own post: you were in a bad way, so you took the best job that you could, but you're telling all the low-timers who are in a bad way to hold fast in the hopes of better wages. It reminds me of the abortion protesters who themselves get abortions, but then insist that it's different for them, and when they do it it's justified; when everyone else does it they don't really need to. When you're not making much money, a job that pays a lot more than you make now looks pretty good, even if it's a lot less than what the competition pays. If it's the best you can do, you take it, right?
Obviously you didn't read or didn't understand my post, and the latter might explain why you're so angry. Again, I'm not advocating for pilots accepting low wages; I'm explaining why pilots accept lower wages than some arbitrary salary that a poster on the internet has deemed to be the minimum acceptable, even though (s)he was willing to work for less. I'm explaining that it's market forces, that the free market is doing exactly what it's supposed to, and that we should be advocating for regulations which help to place an artificial floor on the supply of pilots in order to elevate pay. I'm explaining that as long as there's a single person with a CPL who has bills to pay, especially if they were recently laid off, airlines will never have to raise their payscales because there will always be someone who needs the job.
Do you really not see that you're part of the problem that you're railing against?
---------- ADS -----------
  

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:33 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by eyebrow737 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 am

Diadem wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 am
recognize the hypocrisy
diadem, you always seem to go on about how everyone is being a hypocrite when they disagree with you. Find a new play in your book.
Diadem wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 am
; I'm explaining why pilots accept lower wages than some arbitrary salary that a poster on the internet has deemed to be the minimum acceptable, ?
Why with all your posts you take this holier than thou stance as if you are talking to students that can't grasp your understanding of things.

You always come across as a teenager saying the most simple of things to people like they have no experience or thought process themselves.

Please never go into the training dept. Having to be right all the time is such a childish trait
---------- ADS -----------
  

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: A sigma left of the top of the bell curve

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by Diadem » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 am

eyebrow737 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 am
Diadem wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 am
recognize the hypocrisy
diadem, you always seem to go on about how everyone is being a hypocrite when they disagree with you. Find a new play in your book.
Diadem wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 am
; I'm explaining why pilots accept lower wages than some arbitrary salary that a poster on the internet has deemed to be the minimum acceptable, ?
Why with all your posts you take this holier than thou stance as if you are talking to students that can't grasp your understanding of things.

You always come across as a teenager saying the most simple of things to people like they have no experience or thought process themselves.

Please never go into the training dept. Having to be right all the time is such a childish trait
Looking back through my posts, in the last year I've called exactly two people hypocrites. Is it not fair to say that someone preaching that pilots should turn down any job that pays less than a US legacy, after having himself worked for a company that was established to undercut Jazz, is a hypocrite?
If you think my arguments are incorrect, please refute them, instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks. If you think pointing out facts is a "holier than thou" attitude, then I doubt you'll be able to do anything other than try to attack my character.
---------- ADS -----------
  

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:09 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by munzil » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:27 am

Diadem wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 am
[. If you think pointing out facts is a "holier than thou" attitude, then I doubt you'll be able to do anything other than try to attack my character.
From what I can see, I have to agree with eyebrow. You are trying to make some good points but your style of talking down to people detracts from the points you are making.

Don't consider this a character attack, just consider it an observation.
---------- ADS -----------
  

valleyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 4:05 am

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by valleyboy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:32 am

As hinted, it's supply and demand and so first step is to require that ATP for the right seat. That means removing all the existing low timers and send them back to 703 and 704 and try and lure the experienced guys to come -- the USA went through this and parked aircraft because of it but it all levels out eventually. Salaries would increase, mom and pop would still have pilots and everyone is in a happy place. Yes, adding another 250 million people to our population would also help -- damn I can picture it now 300 million people in Canada living within 50 miles of the US border -- :smt040 - I smell a wall coming --
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”