Finally wages are coming up

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Finally wages are coming up

Post by rigpiggy »

Good on ya Dave

Minimum Requirements include:
• 1500 TT minimum required
• Transport Canada CPL and Multi-IFR required (ATPL an asset)
• Single Pilot IFR experience an asset
• Off strip/bush strip experience an asset
• Time on type(s) an asset
• Taildragger experience an asset
• Self starter/self motivated – ability to complete tasks and make decisions without assistance
• Works well with others around the office/on the ramp etc

Tintina Air encourages you to apply if you are interested in a position flying only one of the C208 or PA31, but the ideal candidate will be able to tackle both aircraft and potentially more. Our current pilots hold current PPC/PCC’s on every aircraft in our fleet.

Salary: Salary to commensurate with experience between $6100-$6900/month
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Finally wages are coming up

Post by Meatservo »

This IS nice to see. With a salary of $82000/year, maybe this could entice some lads and lasses to think about this type of flying as a career. It's not top-drawer pay if you compare it to the big airlines, but it's a nice middle-class income, enough to make living in Whitehorse and having adventurous flying experiences part of the compensation rather than part of the price. It's amazing how appealing this life can be if you're not getting screwed by your employer. I could see that being a fantastic early-retirement gig, too. I hope this air service is rewarded for stepping up, by getting some good-quality pilots who stick around for a while. I'm very nostalgic for that type of flying.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

What's a king air driver in whitehorse make now a days
Hows about an air north 737 cpt?

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

Are they? Made 90k as a c208 driver in 2011.

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

The5chord wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 am Are they? Made 90k as a c208 driver in 2011.
For whom and what kind of experience did you have? That seems like a lot.

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

KAG wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm What's a king air driver in whitehorse make now a days
Hows about an air north 737 cpt?
Alkan posted an ad a little while ago fro BE30/20 medevac drivers. 87k I think it capped out at.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I almost left jazz 13 years ago for Alkan air. White horse seems like such a beautiful place.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Quick question about monthly salaries.( not related to this company specifically)

How many work days a month arethey based on?

I am asking because Ihave heard thatsome companies expect pilotsto work 30-31 days a month for their monthly salary. Weather no fly days are considered days off...even if they expect you to come in , wash planes, buildthings.

I would prefer to seeaday rate with a guaranteed minimum number ofdays per month. I think those ofyou considering these jobs would be better able to compare salaries

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
effin hippie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by effin hippie »

BE 20/30 capt at Alkan are topping out well over 100k.

Schedule remains 10 on 5 off.

Couldn’t tell you about AN.

eh

Edit: Re 208 drivers in 2011. That year was a bonfire of money in exploration. Selecting that year as a comparator when most pilots were on mileage is shamefully misleading.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

How do they top out over 100 if it's a day rate and the schedule is set? Not disputing your claim, just genuinely curious.

effin hippie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by effin hippie »

Because the day rate tops out high enough to put the annual compensation well north of 100.

The poster up-thread got it backwards, 20/30 capt pay starts at 85ish.

eh

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Schedule is changing to 9 and 6 as of next month for the same pay

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Metro drivers at Perimeter top out over 100k/yr and they are 16 days a month doing scheds so no overnight flying and home every night living in a major city

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

letmedrive wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 pm Alkan posted an ad a little while ago fro BE30/20 medevac drivers. 87k I think it capped out at.
Not at all. You're confusing the top starting wage with the top of of the pay scale. The current top end is at close to $140k, and the schedule is moving from a 10 and 5 to a 9 and 6 (on call/on reserve) with the compensation adjusted so the annual earnings at 9 and 6 are the same as 10 and 5. Like I mentioned on another thread, if pilots don't have flights, they don't have to report for duty but they are paid the day rate regardless. Pilots are paid for all scheduled days and fly on average about 60 percent of scheduled days. If, at their discretion they accept extra days not initially scheduled (to help with groundschools, training, etc) they are paid for those days as well.
shimmydampner wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 pm How do they top out over 100 if it's a day rate and the schedule is set? Not disputing your claim, just genuinely curious.
By regular increases to the day rate.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

ragbagflyer wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:30 pm
letmedrive wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 pm Alkan posted an ad a little while ago fro BE30/20 medevac drivers. 87k I think it capped out at.
Not at all. You're confusing the top starting wage with the top of of the pay scale. The current top end is at close to $140k, and the schedule is moving from a 10 and 5 to a 9 and 6 (on call/on reserve) with the compensation adjusted so the annual earnings at 9 and 6 are the same as 10 and 5. Like I mentioned on another thread, if pilots don't have flights, they don't have to report for duty but they are paid the day rate regardless. Pilots are paid for all scheduled days and fly on average about 60 percent of scheduled days. If, at their discretion they accept extra days not initially scheduled (to help with groundschools, training, etc) they are paid for those days as well.
shimmydampner wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 pm How do they top out over 100 if it's a day rate and the schedule is set? Not disputing your claim, just genuinely curious.
By regular increases to the day rate.
Well based on what I heard/saw from medevac captains who had been there for 5+ year and had 5000+ hours and went to Jazz, I think they might've stayed had they known they could make 140k...because they were making just over 90k. Maybe things have changed.

What I was saying above is if you were to start as a king air captain tomorrow, your starting wage would be capped at 87k. Is that not what the ad says?

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

effin hippie wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:46 pm

Edit: Re 208 drivers in 2011. That year was a bonfire of money in exploration. Selecting that year as a comparator when most pilots were on mileage is shamefully misleading.
Nope, not misleading at all. Made more the next year and wasn’t involved in exploration. I did fly my ass off those years though. It was an abnormal wage for flying a Caravan though. It was salary plus mileage at that time.

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

I sat on an airport shuttle last week in YVR and overheard some Jazz pilots coversation. I all centered on money and contracts. I work out of Whitehorse, a major city enough. The point is simple. Considering money is important but to not consider things like, what you see out the window, the people you work with, stress level, the air you breath, looking forward to working, not looking forward to not working! Well to not consider those things is short-sited in my view. I make money here too and I just prefer the left side of the airplanes.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

All very true, but it's not always that easy unfortunately. Life has a funny habit of getting in the way. I love Whitehorse and would love to live there. Always assumed it would be a big pay cut, but hearing that $140k/yr is not impossible is news to me.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I don't see many places paying more, I see a lot of places finding ways to nickel and dime FO's wages. Like rescinding their PICUS program, huge bonds on multiple types to keep people, multiple FO's per captains so they can't get hours and move on/ they stay part time flight line and work the ramp for peanuts longer. The 705's haven't raised wages ever.

A few ops are paying captains more, but not many.

Return to “General Comments”