Handing in resumes N. Ontario - decent operators to visit?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

faculties11
Rank 1
Rank 1

Handing in resumes N. Ontario - decent operators to visit?

Post by faculties11 »

I'm a Winnipeg guy with about 1200 hrs instructing under my belt. I am looking to do a road trip (do people still do that in 2019?) to operators in N. Ontario and hand in the resume. Also looking for reasons to get out of the house!

Any suggestions on places to visit would be great. Seeking a 2 on 2 off type schedule.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by faculties11 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Handing in resumes N. Ontario - decent operators to visit?

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Times have certainly changed as when I did a “road trip” I would have accepted pretty much anything that paid money... let alone have a schedule preference!

A quick search of this forum will give you 99.9% of the answers you are looking for.

All the best (and there is no better way to sound “entitled” than to dictate your schedule as a relatively new pilot)

TPC

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

at 1200 hrs why bother with N Ontario or a road trip? Porter, Jazz, Encore all within your reach now.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The 705 turboprop operators tend to prefer some 703/704 time.

I say do your road trip, see what offers you get and accept the best one.

Plus a lot of 703/704/705-lite companies pay better than Jazz/Encore, and by a wide margin.

pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4hire »

Have you considered North Star?

Friend of mine flies a PC12 for them in Thunderbay and Pickle Lake. 2 week on 2 week off.
Fresh CPLs spend time on the ramp to get this position, not sure if they hire direct FOs. I believe they also fly C208s.

Goodluck!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

First if you like to drive it's a great trip but you never stated what type of job you are looking for.

I doubt you looking for a right seat "ho" which really gets you no where for your experience level. There are a cpl of operators in T Bay, Northstar being one of them. They still want bonds but are now giving PPC in right seat. Bearskin and Wasaya are both unionized so only seniority progression. Sioux Lookout has SkyCare but again working conditions are tough and Northern Skies does not exist anymore. Red Lake would be Superior and again that is likely right seat navajo or possibly caravan. From your background I don't think you are looking to fly floats.

You want command time I would look at bird dogging in Dryden and I think that's Mag Air but not sure. They have been advertising.

From my recent observations road trips (unless you are willing to be a ramp rat) have a very low chance of landing you a flying job. It's all about timing, if you are standing there and some one needs a warm body you could get lucky but it's not any different than someone thumbing through CV's. I had a lot of pilots "dropping in" looking but I must admit I never hired one of them (because of timing mostly). It always boiled down to advertising, since it was a small company.

Good Luck

Gasoline does get expensive up here, at least 30 cents a litre more than the "golden horse shoe"

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
V3-HGX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by V3-HGX »

Air Bravo is a good option. They have many rotational pilots, pay well and it is a good place to work. Stop in and talk to Sara, the CP when you are in YQT.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

I might suggest with your experience it may be more efficient and economical to buy porter/encore/jazz flight up to yqt. Pepper all the operators on the field and then possibly grab a Wasaya/bearskin flight up to yxl and hit up all the operators there. Could be all done in a day and head back home late that night. My estimation it would cost about the same as a multi-day road trip up north that requires food/gas/accommodations.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

First of all, with 1200 hrs of instructing under your belt (lots of PIC time I assume), Northern Ontario is a waste of time unless bush flying is your thing. With your experience, you shouldn't be even considering anything less than a left seat! If bush flying is only a temporary thing then go direct to regionals as I'm sure they'd prefer you over a 250 hr wonder straight out of Seneca.
pilot4hire wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm Have you considered North Star?

Friend of mine flies a PC12 for them in Thunderbay and Pickle Lake. 2 week on 2 week off.
Fresh CPLs spend time on the ramp to get this position, not sure if they hire direct FOs. I believe they also fly C208s.

Goodluck!
Please don't consider North Star because there are way better options! Here are some stats:

PC12 FO:
$35K a year to start, ZERO per diems while on rotation unless you overnight away from base ($60/night I think), you live in CYQT or CYXL out of your own pocket on that crap salary, fly 60-80 hours every rotation.
PC12 Captain: Same as above except $60K to start.

Basler BT67s are only based out of CYPL if you don't mind living in a small town which is mostly crappy if you don't have the guys around you to spend time with.
BT67 FO: $40K to start, ZERO per diems while of rotation unless you overnight away from base ($60/night again I think), you live in CYPL out of your own pocket again, fly 40-60 hours each rotation.
BT67 Captain: $100K to start but you need 3000 hrs for that upgrade.

ATR72 figures are more or less the same as BT67 but they're based out of CYTH and I believe one in CYPL now.

They don't have C208s anymore.

If PC12 in Northern Ontario is all you want, go to Ornge. FOs start at just under $45K and Captains at $87K, not sure about per diems.

I can name another company that will pay you significantly higher than NSA (per diems on rotation and flights back & forth from home paid for by company) but it won't be in Northern Ontario.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Hopefully somewhere that the cranky old know-it-all avcanada users aren’t working.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

If it's of interest to you, MagAero is a great company and a great way to build some multi pic and earn a good chunk of change at the end of the summer. I went there from instructing with about 1300 hours. It opened many doors and was a fairly easy and fun job. No resume road trip required. But if you are still interested in doing it, definitely what the above poster said about YQT.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I hate to burst bubbles but for operators in NWO and most other areas a 1200 hour instructor is an entry level F/O and rotational work is rare for that experience level. I assume you don't want to leave the SWO for what ever reason. You might need to for the first job and if you aren't prepared to do that you need to re-access your career goals.

Northstar does not hire direct entry low time pilots and while the f/o's on the DC-3 and ATR rotate it's on their dime. Most carriers are the same here, F/O's are not scarce so it's the captains that get the perks. All F/O's go through the wantabe program. That's how they sort out the chaff.

If you don't want to leave home (for a while at least) and get you hands dirty I suggest you sit where you are get your ATP and go from there. I personally feel a "slow down" is coming and we have reached the crest of the wave in this cycle. Once we start on the back side it's the commuter airlines which will be affected first. I personally know people who have been through 3 furloughs in their careers while the "northern pilots" were never on the street.

Rotating on your dime is expensive to the point you better be living at home. Very few of these "remote carriers" have interline agreements, some have jumpseat options but usually they are ALPA carriers. Try Mag air and leave home for the summer and just being in the area will help and give you a feel for the area.

I'm not a cranky old, well i might be old, poster but trying to give you how it really is after being involved for about 50 years. Good luck ------

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Loveplanes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Loveplanes »

Hey reading through all the comments I don't see anything about Thunder Air. I believe they have bases in Thunder Bay, Timmins and Sudbury. From what I hear they are a really good company to work for and that they just recently added their Sudbury Base. Maybe they are looking for someone with your time.

Cheers

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Loveplanes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:46 pm Hey reading through all the comments I don't see anything about Thunder Air.
Not as good as they used to be. ORNGE or the bear would be better picks.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

1200 hours is only good for entry level in NWO?

:smt042 :smt043 :smt044

Haha. Don’t bother. Get a better job anywhere else. This isn’t 2003 anymore, and with today’s demographics nor will it ever be regardless of whether the economy collapses.

BaldChewbacca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BaldChewbacca »

Loveplanes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:46 pm Hey reading through all the comments I don't see anything about Thunder Air. I believe they have bases in Thunder Bay, Timmins and Sudbury. From what I hear they are a really good company to work for and that they just recently added their Sudbury Base. Maybe they are looking for someone with your time.

Cheers
Thunder Airlines has been going downhill fairly quickly. It might be worth going for the mu2, but do not take the king Air under any circumstances. Budget cuts, lower pay, and worse schedules compared to similar 703s just make it a poor choice.

Return to “General Comments”