Air Law for photography as a pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Law for photography as a pilot

Post by avsteve1 »

Hey all,

Looking around at lots of social media accounts of american pilots that do photography and videos during flight, a lot of them have a sentence in their biographies that usually goes something along the lines of "All photographs are taken under the FAA Act blah blah blah etc. etc."

Do we as Canadians have a CAR that serves as the same purpose as the FAA one, or are there any rules regarding photography and videos during flight besides the super obvious stuff such as obviously not videoing your landing with one hand on the yoke and the other on the camera, for example.

I have heard about keeping everything strictly work related under 10,000ft as well.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Law for photography as a pilot

Post by V1Vr »

No.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What does the FAA have to say?

There are no Canadian regulations respecting taking photographs or video in flight.
such as obviously not videoing your landing with one hand on the yoke and the other on the camera, for example.
Where's the rule against landing with one hand on the yoke and the other on the camera??

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

There's lots of CARs on operating a commercial air service if you happen to be doing it for money.

As for aerodynamics, Mother Nature can be judge, jury and executioner in the blink of an eye. There's a TSB report about a pipeline patroller that came to grief using a handheld camera in a low level turn.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don't see in the CARs any requirement to hold an OC for aerial photography. Granted it's a bit opaque, but photography is aerial work (excluded from being an air transport service), and an OC is only needed for an air transport service (700.02(1)) or a limited list of aerial work that clearly doesn't include photography (700.02(2)).

As further evidence, I do know a pilot who operated with his private aircraft for the purposes of aerial photography, and I know he was enforced against for various infractions, none of which stemmed from the photography operation TC knew he was running.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

photofly wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 pm an OC is only needed for an air transport service (700.02(1)) or a limited list of aerial work that clearly doesn't include photography (700.02(2)).
You would need an OC if you're carrying persons who do the photography are are not crew members. For example, you offer the flying service to photographers whose business is taking and selling photos of buildings and other structures, but who don't own an aircraft.

700.02(2)(a)

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

avsteve1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am usually goes something along the lines of "All photographs are taken under the FAA Act blah blah blah etc. etc."
What exactly does it say? I've never seen anything like that, please link something.

Probably doesn't matter what you write in your bio or on the video, once uploaded it's no longer yours.

Return to “General Comments”