Water bomber pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Firetractor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Water bomber pilots

Post by Firetractor »

I'm a pilot who is looking to apply to a water bombing job in the next year or two. I have a couple thousand hours, most of which are on floats and I'm currently building multi time.

Ive done my best to research the industry as best possible including reading the bush forum threads, reading articles online, emailing the companies and personally networking with employees in the field.

I've learned a lot about the MNR but I'm hoping to learn more about Airspray and Conair.

My questions include

-Life style while on season
-Scheduling
-Pay and benifits
-Recent progression for new pilots

Those are general questions I have, but I wouldn't mind talking to someone one on one to learn what it's like.

I'm hoping to get into this field for a long time and want to know what I'm getting into before I start applying. If anyone wants to DM I'll respond.

Thanks for your time guys.
---------- ADS -----------

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Water bomber pilots

Post by C-FDPB »

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat, interested in possibly making the switch from float bush work to fire bombing for a career. Here's a couple showing interest in this field and I'm sure there's a bunch more out there wondering the same. Any of the experienced folks out there care to shed some light on the above posters questions for either any of the provincial MNR or Airspray/Conair work?

Thanks DPB

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

The NL government has been hiring a bit in the last couple years. The positions aren’t full time permenant initially but normally turn into that.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

During my interview with Conair they gave me advice on tricks to use to obtain EI benefits during the off season. If a company is relying on social welfare to sustain their employees something is wrong with the system.

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onezerotenthousand »

Apply and keep applying to all companies... hiring is not huge with the current industry standard but if you really want this gig. PM me if you like - it’s a good life.

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!
Firetractor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Firetractor »

onezerotenthousand wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:11 am Apply and keep applying to all companies... hiring is not huge with the current industry standard but if you really want this gig. PM me if you like - it’s a good life.
Thanks, msg sent.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

During my interview with Conair they gave me advice on tricks to use to obtain EI benefits during the off season. If a company is relying on social welfare to sustain their employees something is wrong with the system.
Did they offer to hire you

kvny16r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kvny16r »

If I was you, I'd apply right now to any of these companies. From my knowledge, they all promote on a seniority basis. Conair and MNR lowered there hiring minimums and Québec is about to do the same.

Return to “General Comments”