Back-Up Career

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back-Up Career

Post by sherryfly »

Hello,

I am a student who will be attending college in September to study Aviation, and become a pilot.To fly professionally pilots must maintain a Class 1 Medical. I am somewhat afraid that if I have a serious health issue I will lose my medical, and therefore want to ensure that I have a back-up career. I have two options. I can study to be a AME, which would require 9 months of post-secondary education in addition to my aviation diploma or otherwise I can do a 9 month course in the trades (HVAC, electrician etc). I was wondering if anyone here can provide me with advice on what pilots can do in the event that they lose their medical. Further, I would like to know how common it is for this to happen. This is my first post, I do apologize if I have posted incorrectly

Thanks for your time
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Back-Up Career

Post by leftoftrack »

there's insur for that

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nine sixteenths »

Be aware that schooling alone does not give you the trade. What school offers a 9 month AME program? Most that I know of are 2 years. Then apprentiship and logbook/task completions, then an exam, then the license, takes about 4 years total... then, like a pilot, you are required to maintain your currency, albeit in a slightly indifferent manner. Same with trade schools, you do you schooling then you get your hours and apprentiship done, then after all four years (typical) you are a journeyman whatever.

Why not focus on being a good pilot, and worry about an injury or illness if it happens, plan to take a new career path then.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

leftoftrack wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 pm there's insur for that
What decent loss of license insurance is available to Canadians? I've found good US and European options, but no Canadian one soo far. The only Canadian ones I can find are linked to airlines. Nothing a single CPL/ATPL can sign up for.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

There are plenty of non flying positions available if you lose your Licence for any reason.

The obvious ones would be Sim Instructor or Ground School Instructor.

You could also take an Aviation Management Degree at some point if you wanted to spend more time in the office.

Plenty of options - don't overthink things imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
joshiscool26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joshiscool26 »

When I first was accepted to college I got my medical ASAP. I was concerned about losing my medical too and wanted to identify if I had any underlying medical problems that would show up with a medical. Passed with flying colours. The medical is pretty straight forward hearing and eye sight test, basic mobility, family history, a pee test and and egc. I have done all mine but one up north where they are expensive as hell but when I was in Ontario though I think it was 90 bucks if that. I’d say if you are concerned just go get your medical now to see if they identify any areas of risk for you. If you are healthy and pass then go for being a pilot. It’s a rewarding job like no other out there. I think that deep down most people have the fear of having their medical revoked at their next medical but it just comes with the trade.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I have a software engineering degree and several years in that software industry before becoming a pilot. I have been flying full time for four years now and my software engineering knowledge is out of date and I most likely wouldn't be able to jump back into it without significant self study. I think it is important if you are choosing a backup career to chose one which doesn't change at too rapid a rate.

sherryfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sherryfly »

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for the responses. I do think I am overthinking. I think it is better if I focus on my flying career, and worry about a back-up if something happens. I appreciate all of the advice

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Daytrade Bombardier stock.
(That's a joke, BTW)

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm Daytrade Bombardier stock.
(That's a joke, BTW)
Not good for maintaining a medical... Big risk of depression, anxiety and high blood pressure :rolleyes:

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Can't go wrong with having a trade in the back pocket. Looking back, if I had had the foresight to think about that, I would have done my CPL first and pursued my float flying dreams in the summers to make some money and scratch the adventure itch. Then in the off season, done the necessary schooling for AME. If you've got both tickets, it opens more doors I think, particularly at smaller operators. The two could be a really symbiotic combination, especially early in your career.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

Trades are the way to go.

I was an AME for almost 20 years. So nice to finally be out of the bullsh** world of aviation.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I highly recommend anyone who is considering additional education, do it in another completely separate and unrelated field. An av-diploma is just putting more eggs in the same basket imho.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Glasnost wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 am Trades are the way to go.
Ditto, or perhaps a stripper?

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I turned down a job offer for paid training to become a crane operator with an oilfield construction company. If for whatever reason my flying stopped, I'd probably turn to that again. I enjoyed working as a crane rigger and loved the complexity of lifting various loads.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stayls »

stay away from sugar, go to gym regularly or walk(getting a dog might be a good idea) , try to eat healthy food at least more than once in a day. dont be a couch potato and use some vitamins on a daily basis.

I think if you have a good chance to fly until 65...

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

I like your thinking...

Focus on your flight training and becoming a good pilot.

Learning is a continuous life long process. You have your entire career ahead of you to build experiences and skills to utilize in non-flying type of roles.
Remember, aviation is not just flying ...

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

The best insurance you can buy is trying to have as healthy of a lifestyle as possible. When you've got a job with an airline, irregular sleep schedule etc. it can be hard to stay motivated to go exercise, put in the effort of eating healthy etc.

Having said that, look within your own company for responsibilities you can take on outside of flying duties. Lots of companies have a flight safety department. If you were to get involved with a flight safety role, then those skills can be transferred to lots of different jobs. Construction companies etc. always need health and safety officers etc. and having experience in a safety roll in aviation can make you employable even outside of aviation.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I can't believe that anyone on here would discourage you from getting a backup career!

By all means, if you're willing to put in the effort (it's always easiest while you are young and single) go do something as a backup. In my opinion, trades are the way to go. All the options you've given require an apprenticeship but even if you only do the education portion of say electrician/plumbing/automobile mechanic, these are skills that you can take with you later in life. It is immensely handy to be able to do your own wiring/plumbing/wrenching on your home or car. Well worth the small sacrifice if you can afford the extra education up front.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Most posters on here are forgetting that a back up career is only useful if you have recent experience. Good luck getting an engineering job with a 20 year old engineering degree and no experience. Why would you delay your flying career to spend money on a second career just in case the flying career fails you in 20 years? Why not wait until you can't fly and then spend the money to go back to school?

BTW I have a back up career but it was more out of opportunity and boredom than my desire to back up my flying career.

Return to “General Comments”