Any past or current law enforcement/RCMP/Police turned CPL's?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AJH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Any past or current law enforcement/RCMP/Police turned CPL's?

Post by AJH »

Hello,

Just wondering if there are any past or current law enforcement guys and gals in here flying commercially or vise versa?

I keep flip flopping back and forth between to the two (flying and policing) as a viable career career choice. Both have their pro's and con's obviously but would love to hear it first hand from someone who has experience in both!

Keep in mind I turn 30 this year, and have been an electrician for the past 10 years or so. I'm also at the tail end of my flight training, just need to do my group 1 ifr flight test and IATRA.

Thanks for reading this!
---------- ADS -----------

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Any past or current law enforcement/RCMP/Police turned CPL's?

Post by Hilroy »

Why not flying for the RCMP ?

That job is the dream job, flying the PC12 all over canada while still being a police officer.

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Opp has a bunch of aircraft too

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

AJH wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:00 pm Hello,

Just wondering if there are any past or current law enforcement guys and gals in here flying commercially or vise versa?

I keep flip flopping back and forth between to the two (flying and policing) as a viable career career choice. Both have their pro's and con's obviously but would love to hear it first hand from someone who has experience in both!

Keep in mind I turn 30 this year, and have been an electrician for the past 10 years or so. I'm also at the tail end of my flight training, just need to do my group 1 ifr flight test and IATRA.

Thanks for reading this!
PM me. I am/was both.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The majority I've worked with are cops turned pilots. But if your pilot career doesn't work out you can become a cop too. Some forces use civilian pilots, some use their own ranks. If you want to be a cop, be a cop.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Hilroy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm Why not flying for the RCMP ?

That job is the dream job, flying the PC12 all over canada while still being a police officer.
RCMP does have current openings. Requirements are much higher than industry standard requiring 3000 PIC to fly a PC-12 for $80K a year. Mind you the federal benefits are very good.

Problem is, at 3000 PIC a lot of people are interviewing at a Major Airline for widebody F/O jobs with the current pilot market.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

A lot of, if not all, the pilots flying for the RCMP have far more than 3000 hours PIC. There are quite a few very senior pilots who work there. As I understand it, the ones who were civilians recently had the option of some training and becoming members as Special Constables or something like that, which comes with some better benefits and of course if you always wanted to be a police officer, there you go.

It's simply a different option for pilots. Not everyone wants to go to the airlines. There are lots of other things you can do. This is one of them. I have a few friends who are doing it, and each of them is stunningly overqualified for a job at "Jazz". Some of you think the time requirements for this job are incongruously high. I happen to think they're quite low.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Meatservo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 am A lot of, if not all, the pilots flying for the RCMP have far more than 3000 hours PIC. There are quite a few very senior pilots who work there. As I understand it, the ones who were civilians recently had the option of some training and becoming members as Special Constables or something like that, which comes with some better benefits and of course if you always wanted to be a police officer, there you go.

It's simply a different option for pilots. Not everyone wants to go to the airlines. There are lots of other things you can do. This is one of them. I have a few friends who are doing it, and each of them is stunningly overqualified for a job at "Jazz". Some of you think the time requirements for this job are incongruously high. I happen to think they're quite low.
Yes, all of them have over 3000hrs PIC. Like I said it's a minimum requirement, emphasis on minimum. Almost all of them are "senior pilots" as it is a good stable Federal Government job.

If you re-read my post I said that at 3000 PIC you can interview for a WB job.....when did Jazz start flying WB's?

There was no debate if 3000 PIC is an appropriate amount, simply a comparison of where you can work with that much time, and read between the lines - earning potential. RCMP minimums haven't change in a decade, every non government job has.

Whether it's a good job or not? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bonehead9266
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bonehead9266 »

Hey buddy

I'm a former commercial carrier guy who opted for policework. 12 years later and some life changing events in policing I'm in process of recerting the IFR etc for poss flying life.

Think of it this way. No guarantees in anything. I opted for stability and time off and def enjoyed those perks but it truly all depends on each person's spot in life. Bills, marital status/health, your own physical health etc.. Hugely important in both roles. Policing is becoming freakier and more political by the day so be ready for the big call that wrecks it all or weight of being hated by almost everyone. It's comical at first but it starts to wear on ya. However, flying wages in CDA are horrid and some operators work crews way too hard and also ruin marriages and health etc.. maybe pro and con each one with pen and paper?

Bottom line, keep a sense of humor about your choice and know you are making it with best of intentions.

Stay safe and remember. It's only a fkn job..

Cheers

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

rigpiggy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm Opp has a bunch of aircraft too
OPP have two fixed wing, a Cessna 206 and a Pilatus PC12NG, and two rotary Eurocopter EC135. All of the OPP pilots are police officers.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

I went through the same debate years ago, eventually settled on law enforcement mostly because I couldn't afford flight training. Spent 13 years in law enforcement, finally had enough and regretted not pursuing flying... I'm starting my CPL this Aug now, guess the aviation bug was too strong.

AJH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AJH »

Wow... Thanks for all the input! Don't know how many times I've sat down and thought about the pro's and con's of either career path, but hearing stories of people in similar situations really puts it into perspective...

I've decided to finish up my training, get my float rating, and see what kind of trouble I can get into. Worst case scenario I can go back to flying for fun, and apply for a police position down the road.

Good luck to you all as well, the future looks bright!

Return to “General Comments”