Operating crew / Catsa

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Operating crew / Catsa

Post by .80@410 »

Does anyone have a copy of the document I once saw, stating “ operating crew or commuters in uniform can proceed to the front of the security line

I swear it was either a CATSa or TC official letter / memo.

I have to seen it in 2-3 years. Not sure if it still exists.

Any help would be appreciated . YYZ is becoming a royal PITA.

:prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

Just callin it like it is.
flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Operating crew / Catsa

Post by flyzam »

Mapleflt wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 am Why wouldn't you use the crew portal ?
Yellow pass / Renewal. Foreign crew. Some places they won't let you go through unless your RAIC was issued there.

For a federal organization they certainly aren't consistent.

I've found some are great and friendly while others despise crew with a passion.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

What about the priority lane, it's never that busy?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

The instruction is embedded in our COM.

When I did my line indoc there as a YUL commuter, it's actually a flight attendant who showed me how to do it. Well not showed personally but I keenly observed her technique which is this: Take your RAIC or any piece of official looking photo ID, hold it with your left hand, picture-side forward around eye-level, start at the end of the desired line and proceed to shove passengers to the right with your right hand and repeat until you get to the front. You can add a few "crew!" for good measure. Once there, proceed through security as per normal procedure.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I’ve never not been ushered to the front of the line when operating. When I was a commuter I just used the priority line. There was some sort of memo from transport clarifying the requirements for crew screening but I can’t seem to find it now. One of the points on it that nobody seems to believe is that you can’t use the bypass if you are dead heading on another carrier.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I don't see why you can't use the crew line with a different airport RAIC. I'm sure thousands of pilots do that every day in Canada. Yellow pass/USA, they've always let me to the front of the line/nexus without asking really.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There is a bulletin somewhere. I don't carry a copy though...

I use the priority line and go to the front in cases where I'm not using the bypass... sometimes there is an airport concierge or something trying to say something, I just smile, say hello, and keep walking... I do that plain clothes on personal travel too... flash my raic, nod my head, and don't look back!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

So I just browsed some old bulletins. This one is several years old but had some relevant info.

It says actually if you're operating you should use the NPS or you have to line up (except YUL/YOW/YYC use Nexus)... But DH/commuting, with RAIC & Boarding Pass, in or out of uniform - use the NEXUS line everywhere...
This bulletin will review and clarify the procedures for use of the NEXUS line.

Only crews who are in possession of a Boarding Pass (BP) and a RAIC can use the NEXUS line. In otherwords, it is not for operating crews.

Operating crews are required to use the Non Passenger Screening (NPS) portal. If for some reason anoperating crew wishes to use the Pre Board Screening (PBS) portal, you must access the regular passenger lineand NOT use the NEXUS line. (There are only three (3) airports where this exemption is allowed: YUL,YOW and YYC).

You can access NEXUS in uniform or civilian attire.

To use the NEXUS line you must display your RAIC and present a BP. Have the documents out and readyto be validated as you approach the entrance. There may be cases where the CATSA representativevalidates both or only one, but either way, you are required to have both documents visible when you enterthe line.

At NEXUS, the CATSA representative will validate your RAIC using the hand held scanner. He/she willthen scan your BP via the Boarding Pass Security System (BPSS). This will:

. Confirm yourBoarding Pass is valid for day of travel;

. Start the timer andmonitor how long it takes for you to be processed (if this time is exceeded CATSA will open more lanes);

. Confirm you have notpreviously entered the sterile area.

If you are in uniform, you remain exempt from the Liquid Aerosol and Gel (LAG) directive and exempt fromsecondary screening unless there is cause.

YYC NEXUS

There was recently an issue in YYC for commuting pilots accessing the sterile area through the NEXUSline. This was brought to the attention of ACPA Security and immediately followed up with CATSA. CATSA responded that the matter would be resolved and corrected.

Should you encounter an agent who refuses you entry, ask to speak to the "checkpoint manager".

fpsbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fpsbc »

See Attached

Attachments
Security Notice - GV-003 AM 3 - Use of Restricted Area Identity Card (RA....pdf
(217.73 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

:prayer:

THaNKYOU. !!!!

That’s the one .

Catsa Yyz / ( US departures) got a memo from their “boss” not to let operating Crew to front of the Nexus line.
Now Some of them have made it a personal mission to walk crews to the back of the Nexus line.

I’ll be using this TC bulletin to trump their memo when I pass through Yyz.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Hmm, didn't know we were exempted from the LAG restrictions while in uniform..

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

What about small utility knives? Leatherman, Gurber, etc.?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

.80@410 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:55 pm :prayer:

THaNKYOU. !!!!

That’s the one .

Catsa Yyz / ( US departures) got a memo from their “boss” not to let operating Crew to front of the Nexus line.
Now Some of them have made it a personal mission to walk crews to the back of the Nexus line.

I’ll be using this TC bulletin to trump their memo when I pass through Yyz.
Where does it say in the memo that crew can go to the front of the nexus line? It only that you can use the nexus line or be walked to the front of a line if it there is no priority lane. If you cut the line and go to the front, I don't think the TC memo will save you...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Ur right.
But,
I’m going to the front regardless.
We need to stop rollling over and accepting this BS.
Every other airport understands what it means to extend professional courtesy to working crew.
Toronto is no different.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I agree .80. We have to take it back... This is just one issue of many.
be allowed expedited screening either through a crew lane (if available), a family lane, a NEXUS lane (where available), or taken to the front of the queue.
It doesn't say taken to the front in the absence of a nexus lane. It says "be allowed expedited screening" - and then lists ways you might achieve that. If I am waiting in an extended nexus line, my expedited screening, as directed by Transport, isn't being allowed. I'm going to the front.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:48 am I agree .80. We have to take it back... This is just one issue of many.
be allowed expedited screening either through a crew lane (if available), a family lane, a NEXUS lane (where available), or taken to the front of the queue.
It doesn't say taken to the front in the absence of a nexus lane. It says "be allowed expedited screening" - and then lists ways you might achieve that. If I am waiting in an extended nexus line, my expedited screening, as directed by Transport, isn't being allowed. I'm going to the front.
Expedited screening does not mean immediate screening. If there is a Nexus line (which is often combined with priority screening for some pax), and they put you in there, they are offering you expedited screening.

It doesn't say in the document that you get to choose which method. The airport is still in control. If they offer you the Nexus line and you don't think it is fast enough, you can ask them for another option. not just start barging through the line to go to the front.

I've been curious before why pilots complain so frequently on avcanada about asshole security people. I'm beginning to understand why...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Pilots are handed the "keys" to the airplane. Isn't airport security only there as an illusion that they help prevent unauthorized people from accessing the flight deck?

I'd be pissed if security inconvenienced me in accessing the flight deck. I am the very person who's control of the flight deck they are supposedly protecting.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Honestly what's the point? Pilots have the same RAIC as the groundcrew who climb all over and inside that plane without going through CATSA (at any airport I've worked at including YYZ) SO why even bother with Sending pilots through?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am Pilots are handed the "keys" to the airplane. Isn't airport security only there as an illusion that they help prevent unauthorized people from accessing the flight deck?

I'd be pissed if security inconvenienced me in accessing the flight deck. I am the very person who's control of the flight deck they are supposedly protecting.
Of course. But don't you think a lot of frequent travellers think the same? I'd guess that the majority of the passengers find the security thing ridiculous. That doesn't mean you can just one sidedly decide you are too important to wait in line and waltz through any line you choose. And if you do, then don't be surprised the security people don't like it.

Also, the linked document was the policy for deadheading and commuting crew. They haven't been handed the "keys" to the airplane.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 am Honestly what's the point? Pilots have the same RAIC as the groundcrew who climb all over and inside that plane without going through CATSA (at any airport I've worked at including YYZ) SO why even bother with Sending pilots through?
There are certainly airports out there where they do get checked. I'm surprised to hear that is not the case at CYYZ.

But I agree it is ridiculous. The whole thing is to be honest.

Return to “General Comments”