Recession.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Recession.

Post by confusedalot »

Yeah, that inverted bond yield curve notion certainly is a strong theoretical indicator. The worse part of the ''theory'' is, as one financial person put it, ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy since households and businesses suddenly become spooked, stop spending, and create a recession! Waddya do.
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 pm Trucking full time keeps you away 24-26 days a month. Most pilots here complain about 15. At 15 days a month you're only gonna make ~40k (this assumes you work for a place that will allow you to work less than 22). Trucking has had a substantial detriment to my overall health and happiness. I had originally considered trucking part time to make up some extra but these last few trips have impressed upon me that I am done with this life. The wideband I have tightened the budget and will make it work.
Glad you said it since my research points exactly to that. Of course you are going to make more money than an entry level pilot if you work like crazy. If you do crazy overtime as a pilot, you'll make as much and probably more.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 pm Trucking full time keeps you away 24-26 days a month. Most pilots here complain about 15. At 15 days a month you're only gonna make ~40k (this assumes you work for a place that will allow you to work less than 22). Trucking has had a substantial detriment to my overall health and happiness. I had originally considered trucking part time to make up some extra but these last few trips have impressed upon me that I am done with this life. The wideband I have tightened the budget and will make it work.
Glad you said it since my research points exactly to that. Of course you are going to make more money than an entry level pilot if you work like crazy. If you do crazy overtime as a pilot, you'll make as much and probably more.
Exactly. Driver's have 70 hrs per week to drive. I drive more hrs in 9 days than most airline pilots fly per month. My wife is 1000% in favour of less money more time at home that flying brings

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 pm Trucking full time keeps you away 24-26 days a month. Most pilots here complain about 15. At 15 days a month you're only gonna make ~40k (this assumes you work for a place that will allow you to work less than 22). Trucking has had a substantial detriment to my overall health and happiness. I had originally considered trucking part time to make up some extra but these last few trips have impressed upon me that I am done with this life. The wife and I have tightened the budget and will make it work.
GGGQ- I wish you all the best in your aviation endeavors, health, and happiness. I too, am considering a move in the same direction as you. Despite the negatives of transport driving, I take comfort in the fact that I can go anywhere in this nation, and in less than 2 or 3 days, be driving a rig earning apx 60,000. With that backup plan in mind, maybe it's time for a kick at the aviation can?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

When I started trucking it was only ever supposed to be for max 5 years (length of a medical) to work out some school debt. It ended up a little longer (6.5 now) but I really feel it's time to get back to aviation. I recertified my IFR etc. And got all worked up. Got sidelined by cancer for the last 6 months, but that's all settled now. Can the music stop anytime? Absolutely, I've seen it before. Hoping the music lasts another 3-4 years till I get a good seat. However I'll have my atpl in the next 12-15 months most likely which makes things easier than the 4-500 hrs I have now. Skysailor go for it. Might be a little tougher if you're just starting training vs already cpl, mifr like myself but then again I'm numbing my brain studying things like MET and instrument procedures cause that's not nearly as fresh in my brain as a fresh cpl student. I'm rusty, but I'm aware of it.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Are we old enough to have the water cooler back?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

OK here we go, waaay off topic.......

For the trucker guys/gals, here goes from an old guy who was born in a certain decade. It was the wrong decade. So I made no riches but I still ended up flying rather large planes and saw the world. Not a great retirement but still well above many in society.

The market right now for airplane drivers is crazy ass stupid and not seen since decades. There are people right now who are in top jobs who would never even be hired only a few years ago.

You won't end up in a big jet tomorrow, still need to accumulate at least a bit of flying time, but once you get that time, you will soon be in a position to pick and choose. It won't take that long.

Now is the time to take that bet. If you want to. There are no guarantees anywhere, so let's just say that odds are clearly favored to success now, contrary to odds being not so good only a mere few years ago.

The story of life. Maybe you make it, maybe you don't. Through no fault of your own. Once again, chances of eventual success are higher now than ever.

Return to “General Comments”