Commuting by air to my flying job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Commuting by air to my flying job

Post by jakeandelwood »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:06 pm Well... yes and no.

A $60,000 truck is something that you can use everyday for lots of different things. A modern truck is basically designed to do everything—even be a somewhat efficient and practical family hauler.

Then there’s the cost of ownership. You’re not spending $2k a year on regular maintenance for a $60k truck. You’re not spending $500 per year to park it, or that per month to garage it. You’re never going to see a $3k bill for a tire (prop) replacement or a $25k bill for an engine overhaul.

It’s far easier to justify a $60k truck than a $40k airplane. It’s far easier to finance a $60k truck than a $40k airplane.

A plane is a frivolity. 100%.
I think a $60'000 truck is a frivolity when you can buy a decent used one for a fraction of that, that will do all the same things. $2000 a year for maintenence? I personally do all my own vehicle work but take that truck to the dealer for a brake job and you'll easily spend that $2000. $500 a year for parking? Have you ever worked in a downtown core for an employer who doesn't pay for your parking? A friend of mine has a $90'000 truck and my hangar rent, avgas bill, and aircraft insurance is less than his truck payment, but hey when he drives from point A to B he looks good.
---------- ADS -----------

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Commuting by air to my flying job

Post by sheephunter »

No mention here that your $60K truck is worth $40K a year later and your plane is still worth pretty much what you paid for it. And for those that own(ed) a 6 ltr. ford diesel all know what it's like to spend $5K on head gaskets at 100,000 - 120,000kms. My concerns would be to purchase the plane with plans to fly it to work everyday and find that it is not reliable enough transportation. Seems every time I plan to fly some where, the weather craps out and I end up driving.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”