This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Jazz or Porter (in terms of commuting out of yul) ?

Post by skypirate88 »

Pretty obvious choice in my opinion. Jazz has a base there, and if you didn't get it in your new hire class I suspect it wouldn't be long before you could transfer.

Jazz also has a commuting policy which if followed will keep you out of trouble.

There are also multiple options to get in and out of YUL using Air Canada's network.

Giving your ultimate goal is AC, the new collective agreement at Jazz provides a pretty good path there.
---------- ADS -----------

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Jazz 100%. I don't think porter has a YUL base so you would have to commute for your entire time working there compared to maybe 6 months max to get YUL based with Jazz. YUL is very junior so it won't take long to get a transfer there if you don't get it to start with

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

No brainer for Jazz, followed by Skyregional.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

YUL Based Jazz pilot here.

Based on your criteria, this is a no brainer, Jazz 100%.

Jazz has a YUL base, Porter does not.
More commuting options (vs relying solely on jumpseating)
Jazz has a mobility agreement with AC which pretty much guarantees you will watch a lot of folks flow before you if you opt for something other than Jazz.
Jazz can be a destination company if you want it, not just a stepping stone.

my 2 cents,

radarbeam
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by radarbeam »

skypirate88 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Jazz also has a commuting policy which if followed will keep you out of trouble.

There are also multiple options to get in and out of YUL using Air Canada's network.

Giving your ultimate goal is AC, the new collective agreement at Jazz provides a pretty good path there.
Didnt know there was a commuting policy at Jazz. Would you be wiling to share some details of it either here or via PM?

Thanks

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Porter has a commuting policy as well. If you'll be commuting they will activate your staff travel and commuting status (we have a priority standby for commuters which bumps you to the top of the list) from Day 1 on Porter only for this purpose. We have a few YUL commuters but it's a pain for new hires until they can hold a schedule (expect to be on reserve for a few months). You'll definitely need a crash pad.

Like the above posters have said, Jazz is a no brainer if you avoiding the commuting is your #1.

If you're still interested in Porter info - upgrade times are around 12-15 months (seniority based; for lower time pilots there's an interview process that must be passed). Full staff travel benefits kick in at 3 months (Porter only) and 6 months (all interline). Schedule bidding is seniority based, we've switched to NavBlue which seems much more user friendly than Flica. 12 days off guaranteed and you start with approx 4 weeks vacation (if you start mid-year it's 2 weeks, etc.) 4 day pairings is our max.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I'm not particularly versed in the policy at Jazz since I never used it, but if I recall as long as you list for 2 flights prior to you scheduled pairing start you are safe. If you miss both there is no disciplinary action for not being able to get to your base to start the pairing.

Perhaps someone else can provide more detail

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

If Jazz is your choice you shouldn’t concern yourself with the commuting policy really. Chances are if you don’t draw YUL off the bat, you’ll be YUL based by the time you finish training.
I don’t need to go into the many reasons why every pilot whose not from Quebec/an East coast commuter tries to avoid YUl like the plague.
You’ll probably also be able to get a YUL quicker than any other base.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

skypirate88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 am I'm not particularly versed in the policy at Jazz since I never used it, but if I recall as long as you list for 2 flights prior to you scheduled pairing start you are safe. If you miss both there is no disciplinary action for not being able to get to your base to start the pairing.

Perhaps someone else can provide more detail
Basically. You need to have a "reasonable expectation" to make it on the flights. Basically it doesn't cover you when the loads are extremely high; give yourself lots of extra flights around Christmas. Also if there's a snowstorm or something forecasted days ahead of time and you commute the day of the storm and flights get cancelled you get bumped I don't think you're covered either. Other than those you're usually fine under the policy.

Return to “General Comments”