Laser Eye Surgery

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Txs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Laser Eye Surgery

Post by Txs »

A few older threads on the topic, but with advances in technology every year it seems, it keeps getting better, and the risks are lower.

Been wanting to have this done for a couple years now but some job and lifestyle changes have prevented it from happening. Considering it perhaps in the following year or so if i can line all my ducks up. Ive been tested previously and was a candidate, assuming i could do so again, but it requires taking a full month (30 days) off from work as I understand it.

Curious who has had it completed within the last year or two. What is your story, how did you find the procedure? What was the outcome for you, and would you recommend it again? Did you suffer any side effects outside the normal recovery time? How was TC to deal with recovering your medical?

Any other thoughts or input welcome if it’s constructive.
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Post by C-GGGQ »

My experience was back in 2011. Had waveguide, or wavefront Lasik at Lasik md. I did it on March break from school. Just 1 week. Don't remember anything about a month off from school. Maybe you're doing PRK? LASIK is usually only a few days recovery.

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

Just don't do it. I went back in 1996 for a consultation for PRK/Lasik. I was a candidate too. Its riskier than they tell you. And it is far from permanent.

I've worn contacts since I was 18, so for over 28 years now. All good.

Talk to people that got it done 7 to 10+ years ago before you decide.

You'll notice most are wearing glasses again.

I didn't want to be the .01% factor and adios Pilot Career.

Good Luck...And remember it is cosmetic surgery...so volume discounts and coupon days...for your EYES!??!?!

OldTimr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OldTimr »

I had Femto-LASIK in early 2014 and I am very happy with the results since. My vision has not regressed and is still better than 20/20 in both eyes. TC required a one-month period with no flying and then another eye examination to confirm the results. The eye procedure and also getting cleared by TC were both relatively painless.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Had mine done back in 2009/2010 and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. If you're an active person get PRK, there is a slight chance of the flap opening up with lasik if you get lots of dust in your eye and/or rub them aggressively (I believe that's what I was told).

My eyes haven't started regressing, but they told me when I got it done that I would eventually need glasses again, at the very least for reading.

I got it done at one of the more expensive places, Pacific Laser Eye Center, and I would go there again. Hell even at the price I paid i'm perfectly ok paying that every decade or two to not wear glasses or contacts again.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

You only get one set of eyes per lifetime. No exchanges. No replacements.

I have worn contact lenses for 43 years and flown professionally for nearly 4 decades. Yes, I use reading glasses. But so do most of the population over age 50.

Your eyesight is a basic cornerstone to an aviation career. It must always be either 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 with no underlying impairment present.

Do your homework before choosing to have your eyes permanently modified. Side effects that are simply a nuisance to the general population are disqualifying to a commercial pilot.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Yes, glasses, contacts, prescription sunnies, etc., are a pain in the ass, but that’s a small pain compared to losing your livelihood by being the person who has one of the medical-invalidating side effects of the surgery.. Considered it since the beginning of my career, 25 years ago, but still peering through pieces of curved, polished glass..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

I had LASIK done 17 years ago. Went from 20/200 to 20/10 and still have 20/10 to this day. At some point I will probably need reading glasses but this has nothing to do with the LASIK surgery, the need for reading glasses is from old age as the muscles controlling ones lens don’t work as well as they do when young (happens to nearly everyone, regardless of eye surgery).
It is a surgical procedure so there is always the chance that it could go wrong and you could lose your medical, the odds are quite small though. The majority of issues come from not sticking rigidly to the post Op. instructions and allowing debris in your eyes, rubbing them or allowing them to dry out, during the healing phase.
It’s a very personal choice that only you can decided. For me it was life changing and very worth it.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I had PRK in 1994 at the age of 19. Had the surgery at focus eye centre in Ottawa. I just turned 44 and still do not require glasses to aviate.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
WeatherMaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WeatherMaster »

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

I'd say it's about risky as being a fat piece of meat and failing your medical

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I responded to several of the previous threads.

No complaints.

Did it initially in 1998 with a touchup in 2005. Had pretty crappy nearsightedness with astigmatism to boot.

I *might* need glasses now, but it's due to age, not a failure of the procedure.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

Flybabe wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 pm I *might* need glasses now, but it's due to age, not a failure of the procedure.
^^
You sure about that? And the touch-up....oh man....

Just remember...you get one set.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

LOL

Well considering it's been 21 years since the initial procedure, I am pretty confident ;) :D

But, as with anything, who really knows, I guess? 8)

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

I had PRK in 2014 as a requirement for my employment. It was (and still is) the best thing I have done for myself. My vision is 20/15 in both eyes and my night vision is more crisp than it was before.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

For what it's worth, I have an acuaintance who did it decades ago and had zero problems.

Still flies big planes at an advanced age.

I got a cataract problem fixed. No medical restrictions.

The eye doc's are pretty darn good.

Don't worry. You run more risk by driving your car on a highway.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”