Future 797 single pilot?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Future 797 single pilot?

Post by L39Guy »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm
Just look at how many planes could have been saved if there was an override from the ground. Paine Stewart, Helios, Germanwings, heck... the four airliners in 9/11.
Look at how many planes that have been saved when the automation fails and the human intervenes. Everyone has a story where the auto system fails and they save the day, problem is is that it’s not reported so stats aren’t gathered.

For every Helios, there are hundreds if not thousands of saves by humans.
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

On a typical flight, I would have to intervene with the automation at least a half dozen times to prevent an Undesirable Aircraft State. If the automation was 100% reliable, why would there be a need for speed brakes, pilot intervention on TCAS events, weather deviations that ATC can't see, Ice crystal detection/manual Anti-Ice systems? Double checking a re-route or activating an incorrect waypoint? How many times have you seen your partner so focused on flying the plane that ancillary systems are forgotten/missed?

Apprenticeship, competency checks, physiological, insurance and risk mitigation all say that single pilot airliners are nowhere in the immediate future.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm I think it will happen.

Just look at how many planes could have been saved if there was an override from the ground. Paine Stewart, Helios, Germanwings, heck... the four airliners in 9/11.

And if you can override or even operate the flight from the ground... with one operator managing several aircraft—just connect the CPDLC directly to the FMS and MCP... why have two pilots? Pilot takes off... has a nap, wakes up to monitor the approach and landing or performs it to stay current.
Errr...if Germanwings was caused by a mentally ill pilot, how is having a mentally ill ground operator with the ability to remotely override multiple aircraft and fly them ALL into the ground an improvement? For the same reason it seems to me your proposal enables far more 9/11 scenarios than prevents them. Now the terrorists only need to take the box-cutters to the drone pilot to hijack multiple aircraft. Much more efficient! Progress! ....yay?

Perhaps we have not considered all the unintended consequences of our utopian masturbatory tech fantasies, hmmm? Sort of like MCAS, x1000.

Or do you envision having OTHER personnel overseeing the ground operator, sort of like oh, I dunno, a 2 crew operation like we um, have now?

Ah well, back to the drawing board! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

complexintentions wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:52 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm I think it will happen.

And if you can override or even operate the flight from the ground... with one operator managing several aircraft—just connect the CPDLC directly to the FMS and MCP... why have two pilots? Pilot takes off... has a nap, wakes up to monitor the approach and landing or performs it to stay current.
Errr...if Germanwings was caused by a mentally ill pilot, how is having a mentally ill ground operator with the ability to remotely override multiple aircraft and fly them ALL into the ground an improvement? For the same reason it seems to me your proposal enables far more 9/11 scenarios than prevents them. Now the terrorists only need to take the box-cutters to the drone pilot to hijack multiple aircraft. Much more efficient! Progress! ....yay?

Perhaps we have not considered all the unintended consequences of our utopian masturbatory tech fantasies, hmmm? Sort of like MCAS, x1000.

Or do you envision having OTHER personnel overseeing the ground operator, sort of like oh, I dunno, a 2 crew operation like we um, have now?

Ah well, back to the drawing board! :mrgreen:
I have no problems with it staying as a 2 pilot operation. I'd prefer it actually.
I just think it is not a huge technological stretch. Tech fantasies are smart phones on your wrist; seeing someone as you talk to them halfway around the world. Fingerprint and iris scans.

re: ground operator.....can't they be in a secure location ? just like a secure flight deck ?
and i think ground operators would be less expensive than a 2nd pilot.

But finances usually have little bearing on airline decisions !

I think the camp of people who think single pilot cockpits will never happen; may have inflated egos and think this is the golden era of aviation where their masturbatory dreams include them being skygods, saving the day every flight from that automation virtually killing them every day, passengers gawking at them in awe, making $500,000/year and a bevy of sexy flight attendants drooling all over them every pairing.

Maybe we should go back to 3 person cockpits....because 2 people can type in a 5 letter waypoint incorrectly ! That 3rd person might save the flight from certain tragedy.

If pilots were paid $500,000/year to fly single pilot.....would you do it ?
Or would you be terrified of your ability to manage a flight safely?

AP on at 1000', push buttons, turn knobs, enjoy the view, AP off at 200'.
c'est la vie.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

yycflyguy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 pm On a typical flight, I would have to intervene with the automation at least a half dozen times to prevent an Undesirable Aircraft State. If the automation was 100% reliable, why would there be a need for speed brakes, pilot intervention on TCAS events, weather deviations that ATC can't see, Ice crystal detection/manual Anti-Ice systems? Double checking a re-route or activating an incorrect waypoint? How many times have you seen your partner so focused on flying the plane that ancillary systems are forgotten/missed?

Apprenticeship, competency checks, physiological, insurance and risk mitigation all say that single pilot airliners are nowhere in the immediate future.
not to mention unions :)

Return to “General Comments”