B737 Recommended headset

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Negativefeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

B737 Recommended headset

Post by Negativefeather »

Hey Everyone, Just looking for some recommendations as to a good headset for 737 flying. Leaning more towards the on-ear headsets(prefer smaller size for packing), most likely ANR equipped. I've been strongly considering the DC pro-x2.
Any info is appreciated, thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: B737 Recommended headset

Post by valleyboy »

Cpl things - if it's a classic or NG, why play for an anr because no intercom so usually one ear exposed. Noise levels usually not that high in a 73 since they are not that fast unless for whatever reason all the insulation has been striped out. I always preferred an "in ear" with custom buds but many can't get use to that but the lightness was amazing. Boils down to preference.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think the 737 is very noisy... noisiest jet I've flown at least. Noise xcling is a great idea... some radios have the hot mic on intercom switch, including some NGs, so you don't always have to hang an ear out, I understand at some operators without the option, using of a rubberband on the switch is not uncommon...

Anyway,there is a gap in the ANR market for jets in my experience, can't get everything I guess... I've tried a few...

- DC Pro X, liked the size/performance/features, but the clamp pressure was uncomfortable... if it was comfortable that would be the best of the ones I tried.
- Bose A20 was comfortable with good ANR, but huge to carry around, really too big to wear in a jet IMO, and the price is ridiculous.
- Bose Pro was pretty big too, bigger than you'd think with the in-ear thing, ANR is so-so, and I don't like things in my ears... again the price is stupid.
- Telex 8 is light, comfortable, small to pack but ANR isn't as good as the others but it's cheaper than the rest and better than nothing.
- Considered the harmony ufly setup, which a lot of guys like and if you have a Bose noise xling headset already it's the cheapest option... but then your going through batteries forever too... what a waste when there is power in the XLR (airbus) jack. If you don't have an XLR in your plane and are using 2 prong then that might not matter much...

Anyway... get something or throw some foam plugs in when you get through the transition or something...

edit: Checking out what else is out there... I see there is a DC Pro X2 available now...
It lists as: an on-the-ear headset with an ultra-lightweight design and dramatically reduced clamping pressure.
Reduced from what ? The original Pro X?

edit2: looks like just being released with a new ear cup shape, slightly oval vs. round, similar price...

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

In the 737NG I’ve used a sennheiser, telex 750/850, the DC Pro X, Bose A20 and the UFlyMike Harmony set up. My favourite by far was the Harmony. The 737 is incredibly loud for a jet. As for the no intercom, rubber bands, credit cards or coffee stir sticks do the trick. I’ve flown with way to many old timers who are deaf in one ear to worry about the implications of jerry rigging an intercom.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I have the DC pro x and love it. Flown everything from a single piston, multi turbine, corporate jet, q400 and have zero complaints. I got them cause I don’t think they clamp at all compared to others I’ve used.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Some headsets like the Telex 850 will give you ANR without using batteries.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

think the 737 is very noisy... noisiest jet I've flown at least
Lol - try a 72 freighter at .84 now that is noise :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What are you talking about... that's the "Whisperjet"!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I thought the reason why the 737 is so noisy is because the nose was designed for a plane that went a lot faster.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Most of the newer NG's have the lock on hot mic feature now. For those that don't. there\'s always the old elastic band.

I finally bought a DC Prox and am quite happy with it. The noise difference and fatigue over a long day is remarkably lower with the DC over my old Telex 750's with one off the ear. Wish i'd done it years sooner.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Bose ProFlight is my go to now. Had the A20 for 8 years and bought the ProFlight when they came out. Best for me.

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

Bose QC35 + Avee Mic. I use this setup and I'm very happy with it. Plus you can just take the mic off and use the headset for normally for music or whatever so you get much more utilization of you QC35's. Avee is similar to Ufly but it's a company based in Norway. The NG is a pretty loud aircraft but this setup does a great job of knocking that noise down to a reasonable level. And.....it's about half the cost of the A20.
38494769_442673812808078_5558678671713107968_o.jpg
38494769_442673812808078_5558678671713107968_o.jpg (129.93 KiB) Viewed 3822 times

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

Anyone know if the Bluetooth still works with the QC35 Harmony/Avee setup? I need to be able to watch Netflix at 360. Priorities people!

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

dumbbell daddy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 am Anyone know if the Bluetooth still works with the QC35 Harmony/Avee setup? I need to be able to watch Netflix at 360. Priorities people!
No, unfortunately the Bluetooth on the QC35 is disabled when the mic is plugged into the headphones. Avee does sell a separate Bluetooth add-on for the Avee mic.

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

Good to know. Thanks pal.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

Cheapest and best option. Qc15 or qc25 with uflymike boom.

Return to “General Comments”