Foreigner needs help about the immigration process

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CONTA Marine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Foreigner needs help about the immigration process

Post by CONTA Marine »

Hello fellow users of Avcanada!

I'm writing you from Europe, and I was wondering if someone can help me about how immigration works in Canada.
To be more precise, I need a confirmation about if I correctly understood the path indicated by the immigration section of the canadian government website :

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immig ... nship.html

- First of all, if one does want to have a student permit, it has to choose a school included in the DLI ( Designated Learning Institution ) list
The school will send to the future student a letter of agreement/acceptation that will help him to get the student permit.

- At the end of the training, the student can apply to a PGWP ( Post graduate work permit ) that will allow him to stay and work for a duration equal to the training undertook.
During this time, while he is working or looking for a job, he can also apply to obtain a work permit ( either open or closed, but preferabily open ) which will allow him to stay way longer than the PGWP and have better working opportunities.

- Finally, all these experiences can significantly help to be a PR ( permanent resident ), so that applications to major airlines can be considered and taken into account.

Did I forgot something and/or get anything wrong?
And I hope by the way that I didn't make any grammatical or syntax error!

Thanks in advance for your kind help and I'm looking forward for your answers!
---------- ADS -----------

dereceer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Foreigner needs help about the immigration process

Post by dereceer »

CONTA Marine wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:57 am - First of all, if one does want to have a student permit, it has to choose a school included in the DLI ( Designated Learning Institution ) list
The school will send to the future student a letter of agreement/acceptation that will help him to get the student permit.
Your first point is correct, you will pay a fee to the school and they will send your Letter of Acceptance from which you use to get your study permit.
- At the end of the training, the student can apply to a PGWP ( Post graduate work permit ) that will allow him to stay and work for a duration equal to the training undertook.
During this time, while he is working or looking for a job, he can also apply to obtain a work permit ( either open or closed, but preferabily open ) which will allow him to stay way longer than the PGWP and have better working opportunities.
Yes, PGWP allows you to work after your study permit (only immediately under implied status provided you already have a SIN). If you do not have a SIN, you will need to wait months for your work permit to arrive. If your study permit allows you to work part-time, you can take it to Service Canada and get issued SIN, if not, request an amendment (takes 2-3 months) and then you'll be okay to work immediately after you finished your flight training course.

As for work permit after PGWP, this can be tricky and not as easy as requesting a work permit, explore options such as Holiday Work Permit, getting an employer to sponsor you, or applying for Provincial Nominee Program after 6 months full time continuous employment (check your province for more details) or a type of Express Entry (12 months employment). Both PNP, Express Entry and sponsor route require you to be a loyal employee, if you switch job then your work experience resets as far as they're concerned.
- Finally, all these experiences can significantly help to be a PR ( permanent resident ), so that applications to major airlines can be considered and taken into account.
Yes.
Did I forgot something and/or get anything wrong?
And I hope by the way that I didn't make any grammatical or syntax error!
Just be aware of the need for SIN to immediately start working after flight training. When you do apply for PGWP, be sure to enter dates for duration you studied for - if you leave it blank you might get 3 years or 6 months depending on how IIRC person is feeling.

CONTA Marine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Foreigner needs help about the immigration process

Post by CONTA Marine »

Thanks for your answer @dereceer!
Regarding the SIN I wasn’t aware of that point, so I’ll definitely remember it when I’ll start my training.

I also have one last - and specific - question : if I want to do my training in Quebec, I do not have to undergo a ACS/attestation of college studies, I can still have a modular training from a DLI and have a PGWP at the end. Am I right?

Return to “General Comments”