More grist for the F18 replacement mill..

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: More grist for the F18 replacement mill..

Post by confusedalot »

I've got zero qualifications in the combat world, so.....out of sheer curiousity, can someone out there actually say something rational about what would be a good replacement?

I dunno...F35, saab, mig, eurofighter or whatever new fangled replacement that was cooked up for it. Or for the rest of the available hardware.

Correct me if I am wrong, I hear that the F35 has a few issues, primarily in range? And maybe a few others?

From a stupid "bus" driver. You know, the kind you see at big airports. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

I was watching today’s review at the Paris airshow and Rafale did well. I don’t know if retooling to go french might work. There is another next gen fighter that is replacing Rafale and is supposedly easy upgrade path (source: Dassault brochureware).

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, I hear that the F35 has a few issues, primarily in range? And maybe a few others?

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/

Even limited research turns up nothing but problems.

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

righthandman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 am
confusedalot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 pm

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/

Even limited research turns up nothing but problems.
You mean you clicked on the most sensational negative headline, in an article written by idiots whos job it is to sell clickbait? All these "issues" have already been fixed or known and being resolved. http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... olved.aspx This same crap goes on with almost every new airframe, doesn't matter what it is and with almost every new piece of military hardware.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

What would happen - and I mean actually happen - if we bought nothing?

And what could happen if we spent the money on something else? And what could that something else be?

Wars are ultimately won by economies. The industrial might of the US in WWII is what won the war in both Europe and the Pacific. The cold war was won because we basically bankrupt the Soviets in trying to keep up. Conversely, the state of the economy now wouldn't allow either to occur on that scale oven an extended number of years. So I was just wondering, instead of arguing over the Ferrari or the Lamborghini (because we all like fast toys), could we better the spend this staggering sum of money in a completely different direction. Cybersecurity and cyber warfare, economic dominance of strategic industries, or ????

Last edited by sportingrifle on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

jpilot77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 pm The Saab is a 4th generation fighter while the F-35 is a 5th generation fighter.
But don't we have a 3rd gen military in this country? ;)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

sportingrifle wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm What would happen - and I mean actually happen - if we bought nothing?

And what could happen if we spent the money on something else? And what could that something else be?

Wars are ultimately won by economies. The industrial might of the US in WWII is what won the war in both Europe and the Pacific. The cold war was won because we basically bankrupt the Soviets in trying to keep up. Conversely, the state of the economy now wouldn't allow either to occur on that scale oven an extended number of years. So I was just wondering, instead of arguing over the Ferrari or the Lamborghini (because we all like fast toys), could we better the spend this staggering sum of money in a completely different direction. Cybersecurity and cyber warfare, economic dominance of strategic industries, or ????
Yeah those hackers and our economy are totally going to stop the Russians and Chinese when they try to seize the Pole and future Arctic shipping lanes.

There is no substitute for boots on the ground and gear.

We need ships and planes yesterday.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

With the latest from the European consortiums, the door is now wide open for Canada to purchase the F-35 which I believe will happen. When the contract is officially signed and the aircraft enter RCAF service nobody will care about the 2015 politicking that went on.

Return to “General Comments”