Bose aviation headsets...pleased be advised:

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bose aviation headsets...pleased be advised:

Post by righthandman »

Snip
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by righthandman on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Bose aviation headsets...pleased be advised:

Post by Maynard »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am I am a flight instructor that purchased a Bose X aviation headset whose external wiring has frayed where it meets the ear cup and now I am being told the only authorized service center in Canada no longer supports repairs for this nor carries parts. I paid over $1100 C for the bloody things and there is nothing otherwise wrong with it nor are the replacement A20 have any features I especially need or want and I am being told the best I can do is get a lousy $300 using a trade in program. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I don’t have $1300 to blow on something that works perfectly fine but has a very predictable wear and tear defect. That’s like buying a Tesla and having to throw it out because the tires wore out. I AM BEYOND DISAPPOINTED and intend to make quite a scene at OSHKOSH 2019 about this. Furthermore I will warn ALL my students past and future about this situation including the largest pilot forum here in Canada and whoever else I find and will listen to me. Thanks a lot Bose.
Remind me never to hire you. Is yelling going to fix it? How about you bring it and talk to a rep and not lose your shit. Might work out better for you.

I guess I should write something here.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The original Bose X came out in 1998. So it's more like you bought an Apple Lisa, and are now being told Apple no longer has parts for or will maintain your legacy hardware. But good on you for keeping it running this long!

If it's just a frayed cable, can't you take it apart and wrap the frayed section with silicone tape to form a new strain relief?

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Why bother with an authorized service center? It's not like you're trying to protect your warranty at this point. You have a 10-20 year old discontinued product, just bring it to an audio electronic repair shop and have them fix the wiring. Or patch it yourself. If the boards are still good then it's not brain surgery to fix a broken wire.

If the quality of the repair matters that much because it's a "flight critical piece of hardware", then sorry but you're hooped. Pick up a used X, used A20, new A20, or some other headset and list yours for sale with the defect. I'm sure someone will throw you a few bucks for it.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Shoulda bought a DC.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Exactly, look how many you went through...

Shoulda bought a DC...

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I purchased the Sennheiser S1 Digital headset around 2010 and last year had the same thing happen to mine. I sent it in and they replaced the cord set for no charge. I was really impressed since they no longer make it but still support it.

Regards,

Jim

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am I AM BEYOND DISAPPOINTED and intend to make quite a scene at OSHKOSH 2019 about this. Furthermore I will warn ALL my students past and future about this situation including the largest pilot forum here in Canada and whoever else I find and will listen to me. Thanks a lot Bose.
Ok that’s enough outrage for today.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 am
altiplano wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 am Shoulda bought a DC.
Actually I bought a Telex ANR and a Lightspeed ANR in that order before that and then I thought I’d spring for the so called “best” in terms of quality and so called “reputation”and went with Bose. NOW I am suggesting don’t necessarily trust the marketing hype.
Funny how no one else really agrees with you.

If I had something that was ten years old and I bought it when it was about to be discontinued, I'd be happy with the ten years I got from it. And just take it to an electronic repair shop should cost less than what the shipping would have been too Bose.

Sounds like you are one of those types of pilots who finds anything and everything to complain about. Ground handling 2 min late? Complain. Vector for flow? Complain. Gate occupied on landing? Complain. APU inop? Complain.

Chill out.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

snip

Last edited by righthandman on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

altiplano wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 am Exactly, look how many you went through...

Shoulda bought a DC...
Not necessarily true, I bought two DC X11's around 2009 and had a very similar problem with a loose connection inside the controller. I was offered a $500 trade in towards a new headset since they were discontinued and didnt have any parts.. The days of DC repairing and backing their warranty seem to be gone...

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Ummm how about you try sending it to the US of A, crybaby. Think out side the box much? Or yeah take it to a general electronics repair shop... your 5 year warranty is long gone... funny how you're bitchin about this lil fray issue after ten years of use! 10 years! You got your money's worth... go cry to someone who cares... (your MOM?) Your students don't need to hear this crap of you venting your unfounded frustrations.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am What’s even funnier is how I don’t care about what some newb thinks who joined a week ago and knows zilch about me based on my previous 160+ posts which has no evidence of the “complaining” you accuse me of and apparently seems to have no awareness of what my point was but decides to jump in to prove he’s (she’s?) clueless. I’m chill, what’s your problem?
Your additude in this thread is all I need to judge.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”