Bose aviation headsets...pleased be advised:

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Bose aviation headsets...pleased be advised:

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Just take it to a repair shop, your warranty is LONG gone after 10 years. Bose would have charged you to fix or replace it anyway. You got 10 years out of it, if not more. What are you expecting? A lifetime warranty? Even if you did have that, in this case it’s wear and tear. Why not take better care of your things?
---------- ADS -----------

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 am
laserstrike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:03 am
righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am What’s even funnier is how I don’t care about what some newb thinks who joined a week ago and knows zilch about me based on my previous 160+ posts which has no evidence of the “complaining” you accuse me of and apparently seems to have no awareness of what my point was but decides to jump in to prove he’s (she’s?) clueless. I’m chill, what’s your problem?
Your additude in this thread is all I need to judge.
Has nothing to do with my attitude. The fact is Bose doesn’t properly support their product. It’s seems the quality is cheap unlike their price.
My headset came with a 5 year warranty. Did you get some special 20 year add on?

Like numerous people have said, take it to an electronic repair shop. It's just a headset, nothing special.

Here you go, if you live out west. http://www.fireflyelectronics.ca/

If you don't, a quick Google search can help you out.

Last edited by laserstrike on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Snip

Last edited by righthandman on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am If you bothered to read my original post I wasn’t expecting a free/warranty fix. I just don’t want to throw out an $1100 purchase because my options to fix it properly are down to zero. Read before commenting, you’ll come across as at least appearing smarter.
It's an $1100 purchase depreciated over 10 years. If you don't want to throw it out, then pay to get it fixed yourself. It doesn't matter if it's no longer supported; any electronics shop should be able to deal with it with non-Bose parts.
I wouldn't expect free support for a car ten years after I bought it, let alone a small electronic appliance, especially if it's been discontinued in the meantime. If a light burns out in your car, would you just throw it out, or would you have a mechanic fix it for a small expense? Or, based on these posts, would you storm into the dealership and demand they fix it for free even though the warranty expired five years ago?

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

MAYBE I'LL USE CAPS TOO.. YOU REALIZE BOSE OUTSOURCES THEIR REPAIRS IN CANADA TO AN ELECTRONIC REPAIR COMPANY SO WHY NOT JUST GO FIND ONE YOURSELF.

Maybe now you understand?

Holy @#$! is it's like talking to a potato.

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am I am a flight instructor that purchased a Bose X aviation headset whose external wiring has frayed where it meets the ear cup and now I am being told the only authorized service center in Canada no longer supports repairs for this nor carries parts. I paid over $1100 C for the bloody things and there is nothing otherwise wrong with it nor are the replacement A20 have any features I especially need or want and I am being told the best I can do is get a lousy $300 using a trade in program. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I don’t have $1300 to blow on something that works perfectly fine but has a very predictable wear and tear defect. That’s like buying a Tesla and having to throw it out because the tires wore out. I AM BEYOND DISAPPOINTED and intend to make quite a scene at OSHKOSH 2019 about this. Furthermore I will warn ALL my students past and future about this situation including the largest pilot forum here in Canada and whoever else I find and will listen to me. Thanks a lot Bose.
Now I don’t even like Bose that much but... that’s more like buying a Tesla, and when your tires wear out you go to the dealership and go on a mad rant about how they owe you free replacement tires.... Be a normal person by getting your tires replaced by Kal-tire or any number of shops that sell new tires.

On a side note, my old Lightspeed had the same issue, and I mailed the headset to them and they replaced the cable free of charge. BUT, key point here: they were still on warranty.

Also, this headset of yours broke in 2016, but it’s 2019 now and you’ve decided to complain about it on avcanada? What sort of response did you expect from people?

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

Ok so here is my final comment on this subject. It was intended as an alert to our throw away society mentality and our money grubbing manufacturers that hire marketing companies to extoll the virtues of their product but have no intention of backing it up with proper after purchase support. Bose is the one I am talking about in this specific case. But by all means go ahead and believe their crap. I’m outta here...

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am
laserstrike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am

Has nothing to do with my attitude. The fact is Bose doesn’t properly support their product. It’s seems the quality is cheap unlike their price.
My headset came with a 5 year warranty. Did you get some special 20 year add on?
I guess you’re one of those with the attention span of a goldfish. Read my original post. I just want to pay for a fix and can’t because it’s NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Maybe if I use Caps it’ll sink in.
You can’t? Am I missing something? You said in your original post that the external wire had frayed where it meets the ear cup... Is this wire made from endangered animal?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am
laserstrike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am

I guess you’re one of those with the attention span of a goldfish. Read my original post. I just want to pay for a fix and can’t because it’s NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Maybe if I use Caps it’ll sink in.
It doesn’t need to be supported. What aren’t you understanding? Just take it to an electronics repair shop if you’re too inept to tackle it yourself. Problem solved.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

Hot Wings wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am
righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am I am a flight instructor that purchased a Bose X aviation headset whose external wiring has frayed where it meets the ear cup and now I am being told the only authorized service center in Canada no longer supports repairs for this nor carries parts. I paid over $1100 C for the bloody things and there is nothing otherwise wrong with it nor are the replacement A20 have any features I especially need or want and I am being told the best I can do is get a lousy $300 using a trade in program. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I don’t have $1300 to blow on something that works perfectly fine but has a very predictable wear and tear defect. That’s like buying a Tesla and having to throw it out because the tires wore out. I AM BEYOND DISAPPOINTED and intend to make quite a scene at OSHKOSH 2019 about this. Furthermore I will warn ALL my students past and future about this situation including the largest pilot forum here in Canada and whoever else I find and will listen to me. Thanks a lot Bose.
Now I don’t even like Bose that much but... that’s more like buying a Tesla, and when your tires wear out you go to the dealership and go on a mad rant about how they owe you free replacement tires.... Be a normal person by getting your tires replaced by Kal-tire or any number of shops that sell new tires.

On a side note, my old Lightspeed had the same issue, and I mailed the headset to them and they replaced the cable free of charge. BUT, key point here: they were still on warranty.

Also, this headset of yours broke in 2016, but it’s 2019 now and you’ve decided to complain about it on avcanada? What sort of response did you expect from people?
My Lightspeeds broke out of warranty and they fixed them at a cost. The big difference though is the Z2's are still supported. I can understand that the Bose X aren't. They are oooooold.

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

Stores lady at my work sent out my bose X last year for repairs to a bose authorized dealer. Was an expensive fix but was fixed.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

:smt014

This was quite an entertaining read. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't reply to keep it going :mrgreen:

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Wow.... i feel for sorry for whomever sees you as their "right hand man" ... total loser... send you muffs to the authorized USA service center if you're so scared of voiding your warrany... oh wait.. your headset is 10 years old and worked for 7 before it had an issue and now you come on here to whine your frustrations.. p!ss off.. Bose is solid. So is Lightspeed. DC for the win...

RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RG500 »

I thought to be an aviator, problem solving was one of the requirements?
Send it to an authorized Bose dealer and be prepared to pay in USD for the repair or find a reputable avionics guy, where you're located who's up for the challenge. Failing that, continue on your ride (and posting on this issue) on your whambulance.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

righthandman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am It was intended as an alert to our throw away society mentality
A society is made of people, break the chain by fixing this thing outside Bose’s network as a middle finger to them. Do it yourself on your kitchen table, make a tutorial on how other upset customers can fix theirs. When enough people do it Bose will want their piece of the pie and continue support.

It’s not hard, just fix the thing. You’ll probably even learn something new while you’re at it.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I totally get your rage. The other day I drove my grey market ‘83 Pontiac Fiero at the GM DEALERSHIP NO LESS. I told the service manager that I wanted the whole thing rebuilt with genuine GM parts and he kept giving excuses such as ‘originally built out of tank parts from Soviet country that doesn’t exist anymore’.

Millennials these days ... they just don’t know the customer is always right :evil:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Why does it matter you're a "flight instructor".

Does that make you more special? Do you wear bars?

Free advice.

Be thankful it's not something much, much bigger in your life that's broke and can't be fixed.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

My 9 year old Lightspeed Zulus had wires frayed.

I sent it out to the US and paid a fee to get them fixed.

They are as good as new.

My god, the entitlement these days.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “General Comments”