How to improve flight training.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

How to improve flight training.

Post by C.W.E. »

If we made it mandatory to start the PPL license on a conventional gear airplane only until solo we would vastly improve the quality of pilot airplane handling skills.

Why don't we???
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: How to improve flight training.

Post by rookiepilot »

Let's turn the question around ..

Let's say you owned a flight school with 15 planes. The government mandated tail wheel training until solo.

Would you stay in business, at the same level? Would you change your pricing, if if so, why?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Let's say you owned a flight school with 15 planes. The government mandated tail wheel training until solo.

Would you stay in business, at the same level? Would you change your pricing, if if so, why?
Would you stay in business, at the same level?
Actually I would expect my business to be better, due to better training by using a conventional gear airplane in the fleet.
Would you change your pricing, if if so, why?
The pricing would be based on the cost of the airplane being used.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm curious what you'd expect this to do to your (hypothetical) school insurance rates.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'm curious what you'd expect this to do to your (hypothetical) insurance rates.
Lower them due to better piloting skills being taught.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I believe having the little wheel at the back is of minimal effect. A lot (most) production taildraggers are old enough to have low power, light wing loadings, lots of aileron drag, and minimal distracting instruments and systems. The result is you learn to truly fly a machine rather than ride along in one. My gut feeling is that if you had half your students on Champs and the other half on Tri-Travellers there would be little difference between the groups.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm
I'm curious what you'd expect this to do to your (hypothetical) insurance rates.
Lower them due to better piloting skills being taught.
Not from me, if I was running the insurance carrier. Any such rule change would have me cancel any schools coverage I was insuring, because the existing instructors wouldn't likely meet my tailwheel experience requirements.

In a heartbeat.

And even if the experience was there, my rates would skyrocket, for a long time.

Remember, we're talking a booked school with 15 planes.

I'm examining such a change from a business point of view.

Great idea. I'm curious how the execution would happen.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Not from me, if I was running the insurance carrier. Any such rule change would have me cancel any schools coverage I was insuring, because the existing instructors wouldn't likely meet my tailwheel experience requirements.
If any instructor is to inept airplane handling skills wise to not be able to fly a conventional gear airplane with a proper check out on a conventional gear airplane they would not be hire able in my school.

Insurance cost is determined by risk exposure by the insurance underwriters, better training results in less risk therefore lower rates.

I worked directly with Lloyds of London insurance underwriters in London England and my opinion is based on my having spent time in their offices in London and worked directly with them.

Here is a question for you.

You have two pilots with the say 100 hours each.

One was trained on conventional gear until solo the other was trained on and only flew nose wheel airplnes.

You owned a Cessna 140.

Which pilot would you feel less stress letting them fly your Cessna 140 without a check out?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

There is a difference between offering that training, with one plane and a highly experienced instructor, vs a fleet of 15-20 planes and a dozen instructors.

The insurance simply wouldn't happen easily, or cheaply, in my view.

If that rule was enacted, all at once, tommorrow, as an insurer I would say thanks but no thanks, and terminate coverage on every flight school. Let someone else take the hit.

I'm not saying there isn't value in it. No way in heck I'd insure it. And I risk manage for a living. I know a little about the concept.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

A Comm MIFR can get one into a 737 these days right out of school. Maybe an RJ. Or a DH8 if one is really unlucky.

Tell me again about the tailwheel advantage?

Maybe teaching relevant skills that will benefit the current generation would be wise?

Are you going to mandate LF/MF training? How about sextant proficiency?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There is a difference between offering that training, with one plane and a highly experienced instructor, vs a fleet of 15-20 planes and a dozen instructors.

Well when I learned to fly there were only conventional gear airplanes available at the school I learned to fly at, Cessna 140's , Fleet Canucks and the Cessna 170.

The Cessna " Land O'matic " 172 had not yet been made.

I got my PPL in 1953 and the Cessna 172 did not come on the market until 1956.

The school had around ten or so airplanes and quite a few flight instructors and we received our PPL in thirty hours of training verses the 45 hours needed today.

Flying a conventional gear airplane is not rocket science, all it requires is training on type.

When I was in the training business I did conventional gear check outs in two hours.

The first hour or so was done on the ground back and forth on the runway until they could S - turn down the centre line with they tail in the air comfortably then we went flying.

First we did wheel landings then three point landings.

I don't recall any of them needing anymore time than that to safely fly conventional gear machines.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Maybe teaching relevant skills that will benefit the current generation would be wise?
Where in my posts do I give the impression that I did not teach relevant skills?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Double post.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

We have a poster here that makes very well thought out posts by the name of PilotDAR, I would like to know what his thoughts are on this subject.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I guess I'm with lownslow. I don't see why the gear configuration has any relevance to anything other than the landing and the takeoff, and there, since almost every aircraft a new pilot is now going to fly has a tricycle gear, I don't see why you shouldn't just teach them properly on a tricycle gear.

Handwriting would be neater if it were taught with the kind of ink pen you need to keep dipping in a bottle of ink every few letters, but it's a very slow way of writing, and it doesn't have a lot of relevance for teaching people to write legibly with a roller ball pen.

Not many people learn to set a fire in a fireplace any more either. If it's important, it's certainly something that you can learn to do, but for most people turning up the thermostat on the HVAC works well.
When I was in the training business I did conventional gear check outs in two hours.
Well, there's your answer then. If it's only a matter of a couple of hours training, then why should it improve things to use one vs. the other?

One was trained on conventional gear until solo the other was trained on and only flew nose wheel airplnes.
You owned a Cessna 140.
Which pilot would you feel less stress letting them fly your Cessna 140 without a check out?
Here's another question:
One was trained on tricycle gear until solo the other was trained on and only flew tail wheel airplnes.
You owned a Cessna 172.
Which pilot would you feel less stress letting them fly your Cessna 172 without a check out?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A Comm MIFR can get one into a 737 these days right out of school. Maybe an RJ. Or a DH8 if one is really unlucky.

Tell me again about the tailwheel advantage?
Years back, I was flying a Twin Otter with a pilot new to me in the right seat. After 15 minutes or so of flying, he asked me: "You fly a lot of tailwheel don't you?". "Yes, some, I replied, why do you ask?" [wondering to myself how this was relevant to my Twin Otter flying with him that day]... " 'Cause you use the pedals!" he replied. I hadn't been doing any fancy footwork flying with him (yet), so he formed and commented this opinion simply based on my takeoff and climb to cruise, and it seemed to be foremost in his mind. It seemed to make him more confident about the single engine flight testing I was about to undertake with him riding along (including single engine stalls).

It became obvious to me that this very experienced Twin Otter training pilot was keeping his eye opened for a pilot's self discipline and precision of flying as a priority. I suppose that he as assessing his level of comfort with riding through some demanding flying with a pilot he'd never flown with before.

I was not trained in a taildragger, and when I finally (post PPL) received an hour of taldragger training at my school, the training was so poor that it really put me off. I avoided taildraggers out of one bad experience of inadequate instruction. Then, a very competent pilot trained me in his Tiger Moth (wooden stick, no tailwheel) and restored confidence to me. I have enjoyed the demands on my skills in flying tailwheel airplanes with precision, and appying that precision to other aspects of my flying.

Of course a pilot can fly a whole career without ever flying tailwheel, but I opine that the tailwheel experienced pilot will more naturally fly with slightly better ease and precision. Perhaps that ease and precision will benefit that pilot one day in handling an unsymmetrical plane.
I think that mastering and maintaining basic handling skills, precision, and self discipline will always benefit each generation of pilots....

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm
Where in my posts do I give the impression that I did not teach relevant skills?
Maybe you can explain how your tailwheel time benefitted you when you transitioned to the sidestick Airbus?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm
Are you doing this trolling bit of yours again dad?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I see what's going on here is a case of affirming the consequent. Maybe the logical flaw will be more apparent if we spell it out:
  • To fly a tailwheel aircraft one must be a good pilot.
  • Everyone pilot should be a good pilot
  • Therefore every pilot should fly a tailwheel aircraft.
Here's another example:
  • To be a Judge, one must be an honest person
  • Everyone person should be honest
  • Therefore every person should become a Judge.
Or how about this:
  • To post on AvCanada, one must be able write in English or French
  • Every citizen of Canada should be able to write English or French
  • Therefore every citizen of Canada should post on AvCanada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:26 am
  • To post on AvCanada, one must be able write in English or French
...and provide proof of ATPL

Return to “General Comments”