Setting pitch trim for takeoff

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Setting pitch trim for takeoff

Post by mixturerich »

Many airplanes have a 1 inch or so “safe zone” and manuals often suggest moving the trim fore or aft depending on your CoG off the W&B. From what I’ve seen, most people seem to leave it in the center anyways.

How many of you adjust it or what are your thoughts
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Setting pitch trim for takeoff

Post by lownslow »

Depends on the plane. Some I’ve flown have you run a chart, some have the computer spit out a precise answer, some have a green zone that you can fine tune based on calculated CG and some you just eyeball. Whatever.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I set it somewhere within the green range based on CofG. The type I fly doesn't give any real guidance beyond the green marking. No guidance, just personal preference.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Simple singles are set in the middle. Other bigger birds have book settings depending of thr CoG.
If you do it too much nose down, you have to haul ass to rotate that sucker. If it’s too far nose up, you can strike a tail. So do whatever book says.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If it’s too far nose up, you can strike a tail
The operative word being "you".

For light planes, the trim is not flying the plane, you are. If the tail gets banged, or there is another abnormality, the pilot was responsible. Yes, if pitch trim is set to an extreme, the plane will be unpleasant to fly until is is reset, but it will be flyable, while the pilot resets the trim. Maintain the mindset that you will assure correct trim settings, and you will fly the plane. Wrong trim setting is not an excuse for sloppy flying.

If in doubt, and there is no other information for a GA plane, set the tab so it is streamlined to the elevator, it'll be close, and you'll feel the difference, and have time to correct as you fly the plane.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I will set nose up trim if I have a strong crosswind upon takeoff. This way the tailwheel stays planted and it lifts off from 3 points. I started doing this with the big tail Stinson and continued the practice with the Thorp T18.

Regards,

Jim

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Many jets or high performance aircraft have a specific setting for CofG that you need to set the elevator trim to. They can get very unruly if not setup properly.

Do a good FATS check before departure:

Fms/gps
flAps
Trims
Speeds/Speedbrakes

You can use any combination of controls in that check, but the idea is as you line up, you scan and verify things are looking as they should prior to power application

Might save your life one day, or at least prevent an embarrassment.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

mixturerich wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:20 pm Many airplanes have a 1 inch or so “safe zone” and manuals often suggest moving the trim fore or aft depending on your CoG off the W&B. From what I’ve seen, most people seem to leave it in the center anyways.

How many of you adjust it or what are your thoughts
In my piston single, I always prefer to trim a bit down before takeoff. I'd rather have to hold a moderate amount of back pressure on initial climb out as a reminder that I'm in slow flight, and for the default to be the nose going down rather than up if I got distracted or somehow lost my grip.

@CYRO

Return to “General Comments”