Bombardier sells regional jet program to Mitsubishi

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bombardier sells regional jet program to Mitsubishi

Post by Daniel Cooper »

---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Bombardier sells regional jet program to Mitsubishi

Post by porcsord »

Much like Quebec has gone above and beyond to help Alberta out by allowing pipelines out east. Oh... Wait...

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Another hedge fund manager making it look really profitable so they can set up a huge dividend payout & then walk away & let it fold.

Daryl

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

BGH wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm Another hedge fund manager making it look really profitable so they can set up a huge dividend payout & then walk away & let it fold.

Daryl
But it seems to have helped the stock prices today.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Mapleflt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 am Hope they "repay" some of the funds they received over the years from the Canadian taxpayers
I'm sure if they had the cash to do that, they wouldn't have sold the program in the first place...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

So...
what would be an acceptable amount if Bombardier were to “repay” some of those tax payer funds it’s received over the years? Any ideas?
That’s assuming they haven’t already paid or met a number of their obligations to the tax payers (of which, I’m one). It is understood they aren’t obligated to repay every tax dollar they’ve received. Right? Or do Canadian tax payers not invest in Canadian businesses unless we’re all assured of a 100% ROI? That would be great. Somewhat naive, but great.
Obviously, expectations of a 100% ROI by any investor in any venture involving risk is unrealistic. But somehow, not in Bombardier’s case. Right?
If only A. V. Roe could have sold the Arrow program to Lockheed or McDonnel Douglas like Bombardier sold the C series to Airbus how differently things might look today. For all the glory basked in by Canadians over the Arrow, it’s too bad tax payers didn’t see much of a ROI from that program.
Dumping the CRJ was a good business decision as was the Dash 8. Now, if they can unload the Lear Jet, that would make my day.

:lol:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRLTN »

So no CRJ550?

Or are they included in the backlog to be complete by next year?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Stating the obvious, it's all about greed and fear. The money guys could not give a shit about the product.
Whatever quality the former bombardier product may or may not have had, the guy who bought the place sees a short term huge payoff.
Long term......u can bet they don't give a shit.
That is how and why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:40 pm Stating the obvious, it's all about greed and fear. The money guys could not give a shit about the product.
Whatever quality the former bombardier product may or may not have had, the guy who bought the place sees a short term huge payoff.
Long term......u can bet they don't give a shit.
That is how and why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
What exactly SHOULD any investor care about ...other than money?

Do you trade, invest ...your flying services for free, or expect a financial return?

I'm curious from you and Gino -- the answer to a simple question:

Out of the trillions in private sector investment capital out there, and in a low return world -- why NONE of it was willing to come behind Bombardier and their team?

I've expressed my view repeatedly, as one who invests for a living, and I've seen it mocked.

That view is this: I wouldn't touch almost any company in Canada, at almost any price, and Bombardier has to be near the bottom of that list. At any price.

It would appear other investors agree!

USA! USA! for me, at least professionally!

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I wonder what Canadian investors like the Irving Family, the McCain Family, and Jim Pattison think of your opinion?

That’s right, they probably don’t.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 pm I wonder what Canadian investors like the Irving Family, the McCain Family, and Jim Pattison think of your opinion?

That’s right, they probably don’t.
Who?

Seriously, I'm a huge Jimmy fan.......
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... ckup-truck

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I’ve invested in BBD-B for several years and can confirm it’s been a shite investment. But, I bought high ($3.75) and intend to sell high or go broke. I have (or have to) have confidence in the turnaround management under Bellemare who’s doing a good job.

quote:
“While a stock price alone isn’t the only place an investor should look when considering an investment, it’s a great place to start if you have a small amount to invest. Take your Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) and this year’s contribution room of $6,000. That leaves you with a limited amount of room to put towards your portfolio; however, there’s a lot you can do with that money if you look for the right investment.

Bombardier

Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) is an obvious choice for investors who are willing to take on a bit of risk, while potentially benefitting from huge rewards. The Montreal-based manufacturer of regional airlines, business jets, and public transport equipment has had a tormented history in the last two decades, but there is some hope from analysts about its future outlook.

At the turn of the millennium, Bombardier stock had passed $25 per share, and since then it has plummeted to where it trades at writing at $2.22 per share. That recent dip has come from disappointing quarterly results, and the company is now in sell-off mode, getting rid of any non-essential asset it can. This included the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries regional jet program for US$550 million, with the sale also including US$200 million worth of liabilities assumed by Mitsubishi.

This is just one example of how Bombardier has been focusing on putting cash in its pockets to bring down its debt burden. After the second half of 2019, the company expects its quarterly results to improve, with the worst behind it. With new management on board and more cash coming in, I expect the stock to start trending upwards soon, and fast.”

Gino :drinkers:

Last edited by Gino Under on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder- ... -1.5206009

Rail division is doing just dandy, too.

"A federal government source pegged the number of workers expected to be laid off at 550 — half of the 1,110 who who work there."

"Two major contracts — one producing streetcars for the Toronto Transit Commission and one producing bi-level rail cars for the Metrolinx Go Train service — will come to an end at the end of 2019, and so far, no additional contracts have been signed, Van der Wee told CBC News."

Unprecedented growth both in air travel and in expansion of transit services.
And BBD can't thrive in either area. That points straight to management.

My opinion on this company has not changed.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Well, I seem to recall a hostile ‘pissing contest’ between Bombardier, the TTC, and GO Transit. I guess they showed Bombardier who’s who. Eh?
In simple English, there’s a price to be paid for contact cancellations, no matter whose corner you’re in.
Now it’s time for the politics of taxpayer accountability.
Good game.

Gino :partyman:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Gino Under wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 am In simple English, there’s a price to be paid for contact cancellations, no matter whose corner you’re in.
Now it’s time for the politics of taxpayer accountability.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... tcars.html. Assuming the Star's coverage is accurate, it seems pretty clear who wrote the cheque for the TTC streetcar fiasco - and it wasn't the TTC:

"The contract for the order, which the TTC placed in 2009, allows for the transit agency to claim up to about $50 million in liquidated damages from Bombardier. But a source with knowledge of the dispute told the Star the agency didn’t seek the full amount and instead claimed closer to $35 million."

I'm not sure why taxpayers should have any hesitation about holding suppliers accountable - that's why contracts specify performance standards and penalties for failing to meet them.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Why is this CEO getting more money, and indirectly funded by the taxpayer, than almost every single member of the S&P 500 -- virtually all of whom are highly successful companies, that make loads of actual profits?

I'm confused.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 pm Why is this CEO getting more money, and indirectly funded by the taxpayer, than almost every single member of the S&P 500 -- virtually all of whom are highly successful companies, that make loads of actual profits?
He's not. Bellemare's 2018 compensation was unchanged at US$10.63 million. That puts him at roughly 285th in the S&P 500 compensation tables.
Note that I'm not defending that compensation level as appropriate, nor defending BBD as particularly deserving of government funding.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino,

When you invest listening to the Motley Fool, well, it isn't named that by accident......

There's a new nickname for long term Bombardier investors.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 am I’ve invested in BBD-B for several years and can confirm it’s been a shite investment. But, I bought high ($3.75) and intend to sell high or go broke. I have (or have to) have confidence in the turnaround management under Bellemare who’s doing a good job.

quote:
“While a stock price alone isn’t the only place an investor should look when considering an investment, it’s a great place to start if you have a small amount to invest. Take your Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) and this year’s contribution room of $6,000. That leaves you with a limited amount of room to put towards your portfolio; however, there’s a lot you can do with that money if you look for the right investment.

Bombardier

Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) is an obvious choice for investors who are willing to take on a bit of risk, while potentially benefitting from huge rewards. The Montreal-based manufacturer of regional airlines, business jets, and public transport equipment has had a tormented history in the last two decades, but there is some hope from analysts about its future outlook.

At the turn of the millennium, Bombardier stock had passed $25 per share, and since then it has plummeted to where it trades at writing at $2.22 per share. That recent dip has come from disappointing quarterly results, and the company is now in sell-off mode, getting rid of any non-essential asset it can. This included the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries regional jet program for US$550 million, with the sale also including US$200 million worth of liabilities assumed by Mitsubishi.

This is just one example of how Bombardier has been focusing on putting cash in its pockets to bring down its debt burden. After the second half of 2019, the company expects its quarterly results to improve, with the worst behind it. With new management on board and more cash coming in, I expect the stock to start trending upwards soon, and fast.”

Gino :drinkers:
Still behind this management?

This article is opening questioning BBD's survival, and why.

https://business.financialpost.com/inve ... zpah3aMbGO

As I've been saying for many months, to the mocking of the wiser AvCanada posters.

Time for another bailout, Canada?

Today's stock price $1.22---- with markets making ATH's.....

Return to “General Comments”