Airport Parking Ruled a Taxable Benefit

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Airport Parking Ruled a Taxable Benefit

Post by dhc# »

---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Airport Parking Ruled a Taxable Benefit

Post by digits_ »

Disgusting.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

DND has to pay for parking since ~2010... disgusting indeed.

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The taxman wins...
No, the rest of Canada wins, because there's more tax revenue. Why is it disgusting?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

photofly wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 am
The taxman wins...
No, the rest of Canada wins, because there's more tax revenue. Why is it disgusting?

What did I win?

-Rest of Canada

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

About 30% of $500 per year, for every flight attendant who's given a parking pass as part of their employment, in perpetuity.
If you don't want your share, I'll have it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It is disgusting because you should have the right to park at your workplace when your car is the only viable means to get to work. If your employer decides to pay for that because he is based in an expensive part of town, the employee shouldn't be taxed on it. The employee doesn't have a realistic choice on where to park. Due to duty day limitations, rest periods are frequently as short as legally possible and assume that you park at work.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's not what the law says. Thirty million other Canadians don't get the opportunity for a tax break on their parking (or other forms of transport to work) if their employer provides it to them, and the court decided there were no special circumstances in this case.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I eagerly await my taxes going down accordingly.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:23 am Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's not what the law says. Thirty million other Canadians don't get the opportunity for a tax break on their parking (or other forms of transport to work) if their employer provides it to them, and the court decided there were no special circumstances in this case.
Oh I don't think pilots should be treated differently than other employees. It shouldn't be taxed for anyone. Nobody parks at their workplace for fun.

Let's look at it this way: if the company owns a big piece of land with free parking and the employees can park there for free, as far as I know, employees are not taxed.
If the company decides to save money and rent some parking spaces at the airport or a public parking space and let the employees park there, then employees would be taxed?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:32 am Oh I don't think pilots should be treated differently than other employees. It shouldn't be taxed for anyone. Nobody parks at their workplace for fun.
Company A provides free parking; Company B, with otherwise equivalent conditions of employment and remuneration, doesn't. Employees of Company B pay for their own parking. Clearly, employees of Company A are receiving something valuable in the form of free parking, and it's right they should be taxed on it.

You can make the same argument for any kind of transport to work paid for by an employer; nobody pays for a train ticket to work for fun. But the law in Canada (and in every country) is that the employee is responsible for paying the cost of getting to their normal and usual place of work out of whatever is left of their income after tax. If the company pays for or subsidises that travel, it's a taxable benefit. You might not like the rule, but given that it is a rule, it should be enforced consistently.

Let's look at it this way: if the company owns a big piece of land with free parking and the employees can park there for free, as far as I know, employees are not taxed.
If the company decides to save money and rent some parking spaces at the airport or a public parking space and let the employees park there, then employees would be taxed?
Tax is based on the market value of something. The minute the company puts a price on something and sells it to the public, they've established what that market value is, and employees who get it free need to pay tax on that amount.

Even if it's a private car park, and the public is not permitted to park there, if the CRA can establish there's a value in providing free parking, it should be taxed as such. The only argument then is what is the correct value.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

In theory what you say makes sense, but do people get taxed if they park their car for free on their employer's property?

As far as I know they don't. So either the rules aren't applied properly, or the rule isn't fair.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:13 am In theory what you say makes sense, but do people get taxed if they park their car for free on their employer's property?

As far as I know they don't. So either the rules aren't applied properly, or the rule isn't fair.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... rking.html

More generally, if some dishonest people under-declare their taxable benefits, that doesn't make a good argument for scrapping the tax.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PF is right.

My unpopular opinion: parking as a whole, is drastically underpriced, and this causes a massive cost in time, in the form of traffic congestion.

Build trains, not more parking lots.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

This is directly costing me about $500/year cash out of my pocket. I cannot come up with any reasonable argument against it. Face it, some people have their parking at work paid for, and some don't. Those that do should pay taxes on it.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:26 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:13 am In theory what you say makes sense, but do people get taxed if they park their car for free on their employer's property?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... rking.html

More generally, if some dishonest people under-declare their taxable benefits, that doesn't make a good argument for scrapping the tax.
Not necessarily dishonest. A car park where employees and customers can park at, is free. A car park where only employees can park at, is a taxable benefit. The end result is the same: free parking for the employee.

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YBW-Kid »

Makes me think if Revenue Canada is about to go after all the free coffee and soda's and meals served to the crews on the airplane while en-route. Taxable benefit you know. How about the use of restrooms in the airplane or in the workplace office.

This smacks as of desperate Liberal times attempting to squeeze the little guy to make up for the SNC Lavalins & Quebec based aviation & train ventures (corporate welfare).

Anybody who supports this type of taxation probably makes too much money to care.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There's a whole thing about tax deductions for meals that transport employees pay for:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... oyees.html

But it looks like meals provided away from your home base are not a taxable benefit.

Use of the bathroom is not something anyone pays for, so not a taxable benefit.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

dhc# wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 amThe taxman wins...
Not surprising. It *is* a taxable benefit.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

YBW-Kid wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:25 am Makes me think if Revenue Canada is about to go after all the free coffee and soda's and meals served to the crews on the airplane while en-route. Taxable benefit you know. How about the use of restrooms in the airplane or in the workplace office.

This smacks as of desperate Liberal times attempting to squeeze the little guy to make up for the SNC Lavalins & Quebec based aviation & train ventures (corporate welfare).

Anybody who supports this type of taxation probably makes too much money to care.
Yep, those darn Liberals again, making Revenue Canada enforce the tax code while the Conservatives were in power. Good thing we managed to hang onto our airports during the American revolutionary war, we almost ended up like the Brits losing all theirs in the US.

You're more on point with your silly bathroom and crew meal argument. Make no mistake, Revenue Canada has our per diems in their sights. The amounts have grown to the point where it's clearly a way of providing untaxed compensation. I'm surprised we still get away with collecting per diems during a flight that has crew meals.

Return to “General Comments”