Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

Post by Victory »

I lost a good chunk of sleep last night after multiple Amber Alerts in the Toronto area at 3 AM (once again). I didn't call in fatigued because I felt I was still safe to operate but of course I was not as fit as I could have been. Where do you draw the line on this?
---------- ADS -----------

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

Post by Warden »

It woke me up again last night too.

It's a very poorly designed system. But apparently complaining about it makes us bad people who don't care about children. :roll:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I find it especially bad in this industry, the other day while Mountain biking in Canmore, I got an alert for Edmonton. You'd think a cell phone based alert could tell where I am, not where I was 2 days ago with work.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

LTE - OFF
What if it was your kid? Would you want the system there or not?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

If it was my kid I would realize the following:
-If people are asleep they are not going to wake up and go look for my kid
-If people are awake a notification in the form of a text message without a loud sound would accomplish the same thing

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

Victory wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm If it was my kid I would realize the following:
-If people are awake a notification in the form of a text message without a loud sound would accomplish the same thing
Just because you won’t do it, doesn’t mean others won’t.
Turn your LTE off and live Amber-alert free life.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

I pay for LTE service, and shouldn't have to turn it off because of government incompetence.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Turn it off when you go to bed. Hell turn the whole phone off. It's what I do. Airplane mode of I need my alarm (though easily remedied by getting a cheap alarm clock)

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 pm I pay for LTE service, and shouldn't have to turn it off because of government incompetence.
Then you may complain about it on an anonymous Internet forum.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Ki-ll wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 pm
Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 pm I pay for LTE service, and shouldn't have to turn it off because of government incompetence.
Then you may complain about it on an anonymous Internet forum.
As is tradition.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm Turn it off when you go to bed. Hell turn the whole phone off. It's what I do. Airplane mode of I need my alarm (though easily remedied by getting a cheap alarm clock)
If you are on reserve... kinda hard to do. I wish I could!

I set my phone on do not disturb until my reserve time. At which it goes to ringer, and allows crewsked to call. However even if it's on do not disturb I still get the Amber alerts.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Ki-ll wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:49 pm LTE - OFF
I am so sick of this response. Listen and listen well, I will even type slowly so that you can keep up. If my kid went missing here in Ottawa I would be devastated beyond the ability to think. However, I would still have the capacity to realize that waking up people in Thunder Bay, or most of the rest of the province WOULD BE OF NO EARTHLY USE. Do you know what that means? It means that even on my worst day, when my mind has been torqued to the point of snapping, I’d still be much, much smarter than you.
Seriously, what do you do when you get an Amber Alert at 3 am for an incident 800 Km away? Do you saddle up and form a search party? Do you nudge your boyfriend and say, “Sorry honey, thar’s A youngin in deeestress. I gotta mosey. Pass me ma big white hat”
I realize you probably don’t deserve the amount of mockery that I just dropped on you, but you happened to be the lucky sod that gave the bear the final poke which exhausted his patience. What can I say, avcanada is cheaper than paying a therapist. Have a nice day, and for the love of God, try and learn the difference between thinking and feeling.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

On a serious note, there is a system that allows you to opt out of Amber Alerts. They already use it in the states. The CRTC, however decided that Canadians had not need of the right to choose what notifications we got. Maybe if we started a movement to end this invasion of our electronics; we could use the slogan “My phone, my choice”. (Yes, I’m a complete asshole)

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

B208 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm
Ki-ll wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:49 pm LTE - OFF
I am so sick of this response. Listen and listen well, I will even type slowly so that you can keep up. If my kid went missing here in Ottawa I would be devastated beyond the ability to think. However, I would still have the capacity to realize that waking up people in Thunder Bay, or most of the rest of the province WOULD BE OF NO EARTHLY USE. Do you know what that means? It means that even on my worst day, when my mind has been torqued to the point of snapping, I’d still be much, much smarter than you.
Seriously, what do you do when you get an Amber Alert at 3 am for an incident 800 Km away? Do you saddle up and form a search party? Do you nudge your boyfriend and say, “Sorry honey, thar’s A youngin in deeestress. I gotta mosey. Pass me ma big white hat”
I realize you probably don’t deserve the amount of mockery that I just dropped on you, but you happened to be the lucky sod that gave the bear the final poke which exhausted his patience. What can I say, avcanada is cheaper than paying a therapist. Have a nice day, and for the love of God, try and learn the difference between thinking and feeling.
You feel better now?
That’ll be $25.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

I’ll buy you a beer sometime. ;)

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Pretty simple - simply turn off the alert audio from your notifications menu under settings - you will still get the alert but no audio. You should be able to sleep through that - that's for android as far as Iphone weenies you can do it too - just ask Mr google.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I have a friend who was on the takeoff roll when the amber alert alarm started going off. As he was new to the plane he was confused as to what the hell alarm was going off and almost elected to reject. I would say in that case it could have been quite detrimental to aviation safety.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Should his phone have been on during the takeoff roll? Distraction is a detriment to aviation safety, not alerts.

I guess I should write something here.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If it was my kid I would realize the following:
Hear hear!

I spent 27 years with a fire department pager 24/7, and it would be set off at all hours day and night, and I'd go. I've retired from being an active firefighter, I've done my duty. I would like society to not wake me up for their emergencies any more, unless someone specifically knows that I specifically can help. I'm still entirely willing to keep an eye out, while driving, or even take my plane and go and look if directed. But if I'm not being directed, or are reasonably awake, and in the "active zone, please respect my privacy.
I have a friend who was on the takeoff roll when the amber alert alarm started going off. As he was new to the plane he was confused as to what the hell alarm was going off and almost elected to reject.
Yes, when a new firefighter alerting system was installed on each of our phones, no one told us that a loud siren sound accompanied an alert. The first one was when I was driving, and it startled me so much, I blew through a stop, and was very nearly boned - which would have been my loss and fault. I apologized to the other driver. Happily, my new car turns off all audio from my phone while driving anyway!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Shut your phone off.

F@cking crybabies.

Return to “General Comments”