Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

Post by CpnCrunch »

twa22 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 pm It depends on the phone. I looked at my buddies Iphone X yesterday because he got woken up by it as well, and after some reading, apparently with IOS 12 and above, the function in the notification setting was removed, so you no longer have the option to turn off the alerts, thus the only option is to put your phone on airplane mode
You should still be able to turn off lte in the mobile network settings, and that should prevent the alerts.
---------- ADS -----------

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

av8ts wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:41 pm
Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm Turn it off when you go to bed. Hell turn the whole phone off. It's what I do. Airplane mode of I need my alarm (though easily remedied by getting a cheap alarm clock)
If you are on reserve... kinda hard to do. I wish I could!

I set my phone on do not disturb until my reserve time. At which it goes to ringer, and allows crewsked to call. However even if it's on do not disturb I still get the Amber alerts.
You can turn off text alerts and leave your phone on for that Crewsked call
Yeah I kinda do that. But I just silence everything until I want calls to go through. It works pretty good.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 pm I guess I'm lucky then and glad I bought the phone I did because I an able to turn off the audible notification. I still get the alert but no noise.
The amber alerts are not sms based but a separate LTE channel. The only possible way to block them completely is turn your sim card off. Possibly with branded phones the carriers have disabled that function.
Amber alerts are a major tool but as pointed out the technology is flawed and needs rethinking. Let's face it if you are in bed you can't contribute much if anything to an alert. Everyone should have the ability to at least silence them.
If I was on layover or had a flight assignment scheduled all phones were silenced for my 8 hours, especially in hotels. I would even unplug the house phone. To many calls from drunks or wrong room.
I haven't tried it yet, but my phone (android) has a drop down menu with a quick on/off for "data"... I'll try this when I go to bed, by just turning all data off and then calls can still come through if I need them. Then turn data back on in the morning.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Mapleflt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:13 pm Really, is this a significant enough of an issue when balanced against the care and protection of children. Is it perfect; maybe not, but it a hell of a lot better than NOTHING. So rollover, go back to sleep and if you feel so fatigued that operating safely is a concern then just book off
I disagree, there were a lot of pilots woken up at 3am the other morning, now you have potentially tired pilots flying thousands of people the next morning, and we all know how much flying tired sucks, and how much less sharp it makes someone.

I personally think that forcing these alerts with their harsh apocalypse-esque alarms on people is total bullsh*t. I care about children’s safety too but we should as citizens reserve the right to opt out of the alarms. At the very least just change it to a text message! The people asleep can’t help much and the people awake are already staring at their phone anyways :P

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I haven't tried it yet, but my phone (android) has a drop down menu with a quick on/off for "data"... I'll try this when I go to bed, by just turning all data off and then calls can still come through if I need
Sorry that won't work. It's not a data thing and is transmitted on a separate signal/channel through LTE network and is actually part of signal used for phone calls.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Turn cellphone off. If dispatch needs me they have my landline number. Problem solved.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 pm Granted I'm only 703 but as far as I understand reserve rules they can't "need" me on my rest. If they call... Now my rest is interrupted, and restarts. So I don't understand "keep your phone on" how about no.
Go fly medevac or corporate and be amazed by the crap companies get away with.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 pm Turn cellphone off. If dispatch needs me they have my landline number. Problem solved.
What's a landline??

:wink:

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 pm Turn cellphone off. If dispatch needs me they have my landline number. Problem solved.
What's a landline??

:wink:
It’s that phone that still works when power is out and cell towers stop working

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

All newer Android phones have something called Priority Mode.

It allows you to choose what wakes you up while blocking the sound of everything else including Amber Alerts. On my phone the only thing that can and does wake me up is a call from Crew Sked and my wake up alarm.

You can choose which contacts will ring through.

You will have to put the phone face down. It still lights up when a call or Amber Alert comes through.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:07 pm
It’s that phone that still works when power is out and cell towers stop working
Cell towers still work when the power's out. They have generators.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

My Android is an older version that fortunately does not support these alerts :) My wife's phone had a setting which was hard to find that allowed me to turn off all of these pushed alerts.

I wouldn't mind keeping an eye open for an alert I received if it were to be in a non-obnoxious format. I don't need to be woken up at any hour of the night as I'm not going to be any help anyway if I am sleeping. However, just like flying and listening to 121.5 on my second radio I'd keep my eyes open on the highway. Unfortunately, I had to opt to disable these alerts altogether for the annoyance factor. As a member of CASARA - I choose to keep my phone on at night.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
steve_10509
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by steve_10509 »

Am I the only one in all of Canada that went to settings, emergency alerts, amber alerts, silent? I still get the amber alerts, but my phone just vibrates. No nuclear siren. Steve confused by this whole issue.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I've also put the notifications for them to silent on my S10. Easy peasy.
When I get up in the morning the first thing I see is the type of car and where they might be going. I'll keep an eye out. But there is literally zero point to me getting the info in the middle of the night because, since I'm asleep, I won't be looking out my window in my quiet Ottawa crescent taking down license plates. Just reality.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I think the settings are dependent on the version of Android your device runs. No "silent" on my wife's phone but I could turn them off completely.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

I have mine on silent but I still get them

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Why am I forced to choose between possibly being woken up at night and thus working fatigued the next day, and being available for a family emergency call I could possibly do something about?

For those who think it is as simple as turning the alerts off... this thread wouldn’t be at 3 pages if it were that simple. You cannot turn the alerts off or selectively silence them, at least on some phones. That is the whole problem and why this system is so awful.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Get rid of your celphone and get a landline. People lived that way for a very long time. I know for a millennial its daunting just to imagine doing so, but "Flight Safety" depends on it!

These phones are far more dangerous in the hands of pilots who using them to listen to music and text while flying, then losing a few minutes of beauty sleep once or twice a month.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Thanks for the absurd “solution” but I have no use for a landline. I got rid of my telegram machine as well, years ago.

How about we solve the problem instead of coming up with ridiculous workarounds?

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:47 am Get rid of your celphone and get a landline. People lived that way for a very long time. I know for a millennial its daunting just to imagine doing so, but "Flight Safety" depends on it!
Not anywhere near millennial age and (thankfully) got rid of my landline 15 years ago...I love generalizations.

Return to “General Comments”