C172 Oil Temp

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

C172 Oil Temp

Post by avsteve1 »

Hello all,

I would like to know what counts as a warm/cold engine in the 172P/R/S. As I was looking through the POH, I didn't see any specific description of a warm or cold engine (oil temperature for warm and cold). Not sure if I just missed it or it really isn't there. All I saw in the engine start section is it said "if engine is warm, omit steps #6, 7, and 8".

So from now on when I turn the Masters On during the Preflight and check the Oil Temperature, when should I be using a warm or cold start technique assuming I don't know when the aircraft engine was last turned off (this is a rental we're talking about).

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: C172 Oil Temp

Post by Squaretail »

when I turn the Masters On during the Preflight and check the Oil Temperature,
You check the oil temp on the walkaround?

In terms of warm or cold start technique, if when you check the dipstick, its too hot to touch, use the hot start technique. If you can stick your hand on the cylinders, its probably cooled down enough to use the cold start.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Usually, if the aircraft has flown within about the last hour, you probably don't need to prime. If unsure, just try without priming and see what happens. ..it's better to underprime than overprime.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Turn on master. If oil temperature is in the green, start without prime. If no start within a few blades, then prime.

Return to “General Comments”