Dispatch as a backup

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dispatch as a backup

Post by Spinwmts »

Hey folks. I listened to a podcast yesterday that featured the life of a flight dispatcher. Apparently the Dispatcher FAA Exam is close to the FAA ATPL exam but I think maybe you have a little more time and easier questions. As a result some ATPL applicants will go ahead and write both exams so they they could fall back on their Dispatching License if necessary (loss of medical or furloughed etc). Has anyone done that here? Just wondering if this is something I should consider as i prep for the IATRA.
---------- ADS -----------

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Dispatch as a backup

Post by igorcanuck »

Sent PM

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Are we talking about dispatch in the USA or Canada?

Jerry Boyle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jerry Boyle »

I found the MET exam similar to ATPL. Did it years ago for your stated reasons. Got another flying job and never wrote the OPS exam. I would recommend them to any new pilot as prep for IATRA or ATPL as they were free when I wrote. Not a lot of directly transferable knowledge from flying except to dispatch. Pretty much same stuff to study. Talking about Canada.

If you can mark an X you are my kind of people.
Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Yep talking about Canada. Thanks for the info! Would be great to get practice for the IATRA so wouldn't hurt if its still free.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Remember that passing your exams doesn’t give you the license, it’s only a requirement to eventually obtain the license.
After you pass your exams you have 2 years to get hired by a company. So if your plan is to “fall back” then maybe take the exams only if the fall back becomes reality.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Flight Dispatch is such an underrated career. It’s the perfect “fallback” career if you lose your medical. None of those degrees you get during flight training will be useful as a fallback. It’s only good to tick off a box at a mainline job. I’m fortunate enough to have worked as a flight dispatcher for a few years. I managed to save up significant amounts of cash to survive when I became a flight instructor. Also paid for my training bond at a later stage. If you’re considering being a flight dispatcher as a career or at least at the start I would highly recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaAYw- ... wMbhnLtrBQ

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:01 pm Flight Dispatch is such an underrated career. It’s the perfect “fallback” career if you lose your medical. None of those degrees you get during flight training will be useful as a fallback. It’s only good to tick off a box at a mainline job. I’m fortunate enough to have worked as a flight dispatcher for a few years. I managed to save up significant amounts of cash to survive when I became a flight instructor. Also paid for my training bond at a later stage. If you’re considering being a flight dispatcher as a career or at least at the start I would highly recommend it.

You’re proudly advertising that you paid for a cash up front bond? You’re going to make such a great role model for all those young wannabes you’re trying to influence.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

ant_321 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 pm
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:01 pm Flight Dispatch is such an underrated career. It’s the perfect “fallback” career if you lose your medical. None of those degrees you get during flight training will be useful as a fallback. It’s only good to tick off a box at a mainline job. I’m fortunate enough to have worked as a flight dispatcher for a few years. I managed to save up significant amounts of cash to survive when I became a flight instructor. Also paid for my training bond at a later stage. If you’re considering being a flight dispatcher as a career or at least at the start I would highly recommend it.

You’re proudly advertising that you paid for a cash up front bond? You’re going to make such a great role model for all those young wannabes you’re trying to influence.
Is that all you took away from this post? If you always nit picked something you will always be unhappy. In any case I would do it again and pay a training bond. If that’s what gets you to your goal quicker. It’s all about perspective. People are willing to pay $60k for an English degree and have no job. But pay $10k and get a guaranteed job with turbine time is not ok? By getting to the regionals quicker I was able to hold left seat quicker and make a decent living. The $10k grand paid itself off 100 fold.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Why is this asshole still allowed to pimp his ridiculous YouTube channel?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Is that all you took away from this post? If you always nit picked something you will always be unhappy. In any case I would do it again and pay a training bond. If that’s what gets you to your goal quicker. It’s all about perspective. People are willing to pay $60k for an English degree and have no job. But pay $10k and get a guaranteed job with turbine time is not ok? By getting to the regionals quicker I was able to hold left seat quicker and make a decent living. The $10k grand paid itself off 100 fold.

https://youtu.be/xxat2_doj6E
The part I nit picked tells us all we need to know about you. If you don’t see the difference in paying for tuition and paying for a type rating I’m not sure you should be the one trying to inspire the next generation of pilots. You personally paid a very big part in the degradation of the Canadian aviation industry.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

ant_321 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 pm

https://youtu.be/xxat2_doj6E
The part I nit picked tells us all we need to know about you. If you don’t see the difference in paying for tuition and paying for a type rating I’m not sure you should be the one trying to inspire the next generation of pilots. You personally paid a very big part in the degradation of the Canadian aviation industry.
Are you serious? Haha. If you’re going to debate at least ensure it’s something we can learn from.

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

"Are you serious? Haha. If you’re going to debate at least ensure it’s something we can learn from."

He is serious, and so am I when I say that an education is something worth investing in. An education is not simply a business transaction for some, but rather an enriching and personal growth experience. They can take everything away from you, but not your education.

Paying for a job is a different matter altogether.

Return to “General Comments”