IFR clearance on the ground at Qikiqtarjuaq?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR clearance on the ground at Qikiqtarjuaq?

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Sorry, I posted this in bush flying, but it looks like it may be more appropriate here:

Planning a flight to Europe in my 185 from the US. How can we pick up an IFR clearance if we are on the ground at Qikiqtarjuaq? Is it possible to do it by satphone or do we need to use HF?

Thanks in advance,

David
---------- ADS -----------

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: IFR clearance on the ground at Qikiqtarjuaq?

Post by Justjohn »

Simple. You don’t. The airspace is uncontrolled up to F/L 180. That means that you don’t need nor can you get a clearance or any kind of flight following in that uncontrolled airspace.

Announce your intentions on the on route frequency and proceed cautiously. There is a surprising amount of traffic out there, but most of it operates in the flight levels and are only transiting thru uncontrolled airspace in climb or decent.

If you really need to check in with someone the high level controller is transmitting on a PAL located at Qik.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I suppose you are stopping there to refuel(from Jerry cans unless you have cashed avgas which is not available) and where from there - i suspect Nuuk - you will need to contact to file for the crossing and get a clearance prior to entering Greenland airspace. Your Jepp's should give you information needed. Wx will be your biggest foe and mountains as well. Don't forget at YVM all approach tracks at in true. Good luck -

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Justjohn wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 pm Simple. You don’t. The airspace is uncontrolled up to F/L 180. That means that you don’t need nor can you get a clearance or any kind of flight following in that uncontrolled airspace.
IF you're heading into Greenlandic controlled airspace (which begins at FL60) then you need a clearance into controlled airspace before you depart.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Most of the airports up there should still have pay phones you can use to call and get a clearance using the 1800 number

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

We can do better than “most”, can’t we?

Hint:
7636BD40-613A-4808-8FB4-00036C32C662.jpeg
7636BD40-613A-4808-8FB4-00036C32C662.jpeg (286.39 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

If you're making the trip across the Atlantic in a light piston single, I'd suggest contacting someone who has made the trip before, particularly an experienced ferry pilot. while the airspace and IFR procedures are relatively the same in Canada and the US, they can be vastly different in Europe, especially in England. The insurance requirements are onerous and expensive.

Be familiar with uncontrolled airspace procedures in Northern Canada, be familiar with NDB approaches in Greenland. Don't be afraid to stay behind if the weather isn't forecast to be VFR.

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

photofly wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:09 am
Justjohn wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 pm Simple. You don’t. The airspace is uncontrolled up to F/L 180. That means that you don’t need nor can you get a clearance or any kind of flight following in that uncontrolled airspace.
IF you're heading into Greenlandic controlled airspace (which begins at FL60) then you need a clearance into controlled airspace before you depart.

AH, photofly I’d just about forgotten why you are on my ignore list.... but kudos to ya, you’re certainly not wrong.

I’ve been in and out of a handful of spots in Greenland but I operated in an out of Qik almost daily for years. From the OP’s question I understood it to be how to operate IFR in the vicinity of Qic, not how to get a clearance into airspace for a spot almost 700 NM away and framed my answer accordingly.

To the OP, 100LL is certainly not available in Qik and I’ve got to say, it’s a fairly remote spot to be going to with a piston single. Be careful.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Justjohn wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 pm AH, photofly I’d just about forgotten why you are on my ignore list.... but kudos to ya, you’re certainly not wrong.
Always a pleasure to remind you :)

Return to “General Comments”