TC to FAA Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gustavocarvalho
Rank 0
Rank 0

TC to FAA Conversion

Post by gustavocarvalho »

Hey Guys,

I am planning to convert my CPL Licence to FAA.
I heard the Written test its just the differences between Canada and USA, is that true?
If so, where can I find material to study for this?

thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Brint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: TC to FAA Conversion

Post by Brint »

https://www.gleimaviation.com/product-c ... urses/ogs/

There are two separate courses for the commercial conversion and the instrument rating conversion.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

See: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 61-135.pdf for the exact requirements the FAA is looking for. Basically a couple exams (https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/te ... matrix.pdf) and a FAA medical. Plus some paperwork with the FSDO.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

I would recommend the Gleim online course. It will set you up nicely for both the Commercial Conversion Exam and the IFR Conversion Exam. Both exams are 40 questions. You also have to complete a form giving the FAA authorization to have your license credentials verified by Transport Canada. Once everything is done, Verification, Exams Passed, FAA Class 2 Medical complete you then have to make an appointment and have a sit down interview with a FAA Inspector. It’s really no big deal, just more of a paperwork exercise and to issue you a temporary license. The permanent one will take a few months to get.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

Is there a Ride you have to do too? Or just the application, exams, medical, and interview?

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

No ride required to get the license. It’s just a paperwork exercise. All your existing ratings and type certificates will get added to your FAA Commercial. Of course it’s the same as Canada, you will need to do an IFR/PPC ride on the aircraft that you will be flying.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Hvd2Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hvd2Pilot »

Don’t have to do a ride, but you will have to get all the endorsements. I did a flight with an instructor and got high performance, complex, high altitude, ipc, and flight review. Another instructor signed me off for tailwheel. I was not able to grandfather in as they base it on date, not time/experience.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

CLguy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:22 am I would recommend the Gleim online course. It will set you up nicely for both the Commercial Conversion Exam and the IFR Conversion Exam. Both exams are 40 questions. You also have to complete a form giving the FAA authorization to have your license credentials verified by Transport Canada. Once everything is done, Verification, Exams Passed, FAA Class 2 Medical complete you then have to make an appointment and have a sit down interview with a FAA Inspector. It’s really no big deal, just more of a paperwork exercise and to issue you a temporary license. The permanent one will take a few months to get.
That's the course I used, made the exam extremely easy (questions were in some cases identical). Passed with 1 question wrong on each in 20 mins total (for both). That's not to say I didn't learn a few things in the course.
Hvd2Pilot wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:07 pm Don’t have to do a ride, but you will have to get all the endorsements. I did a flight with an instructor and got high performance, complex, high altitude, ipc, and flight review. Another instructor signed me off for tailwheel. I was not able to grandfather in as they base it on date, not time/experience.
I had to do a flight review, but I was told not to worry about the endorsements or IPC by the guy at the FSDO in Helena (he could be wrong, I don't know there's two conflicting ACs).

Overall, it's easy and I'd recommend doing it.

Let410
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Let410 »

Do you have a link for the Gleim online course?
How different would the Sheppard Air ATM online course be?

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I had to do a flight review, but I was told not to worry about the endorsements or IPC by the guy at the FSDO in Helena (he could be wrong, I don't know there's two conflicting ACs).

Overall, it's easy and I'd recommend doing it.
[/quote]

Did you do the flight review in the US or Canada? What did it entail?
Would a recent PPC count as a flight review?

Return to “General Comments”