What do you do when you think someone should never fly again?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What do you do when you think someone should never fly again?

Post by rwm1273 »

valleyboy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:08 am The total irony here that, over the years I have had such input from other captains about a particular pilot. I also have flown with the F/O they are telling me and saying that the guy should never be allowed in and aircraft. I did not have an issue and the person(s) in question was able to function within set standards.

My point being is that the attitude that the captain carriers into the flight deck has a large being on how a crew operates. What the captain projects sets the mood. If a crew member feels pressure and sees aggressive body language they might just start "shutting down" which just adds to the stress and it becomes a caustic and unsafe environment.

As I have mentioned before the attitude of "good old boys", captain gods is alive and well and alive in the new generation of pilot. CRM and crew concept is just not something they understand. It's quite horrifying to see new green captains fall into this mind set. Can attitudes ever be changed when pilots fall into this group.
All legitimate points, but when everyone involved in the company has a similar opinion about this particular pilot, then it isn't an issue with the captain, but clearly an issue with the one pilot in question. This pilot even was difficult with the engineers who have substantial amounts of experience both in and out of the cockpit.

So we are back to the underlying question, how do you ensure this person finds a new career?
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Short of poking his eye out you need to write him up and unless this is a real bottom feeder company the training department, must deal with it. If he has the ability to pass training, get recommended for a ride and consistently pass that ride it is not an ability issue but a mental one. At the very least the chief pilot or chief training pilot should fly with him on the line for a full schedule. If the company is so small that one guy wears all these hats and nothing gets done I would suggest leave. It would likely be better for your career. If this guy is a bad as you say all the captains should make it clear that they are united in this.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

. If the company is so small that one guy wears all these hats and nothing gets done I would suggest leave. It would likely be better for your career. If this guy is a bad as you say all the captains should make it clear that they are united in this.
That is the bottom line in this discussion.

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Well It is sad day in aviation for sure. Unfortunately, someone sent me a photo of someone that is exactly that person that should never fly a plane or even be in one. And guess what? After being hired and trained and failing and being told to improve and being helped by every good soul in each company this waste of skin continues to fool the unfortunate one's by having the most friendly and eager personality making one think that this "person" is a great fit. And guess what? Hired again to fly in a 705 operation in special parts of the world. The reality is that this same person BELIEVES they are capable and continues to forge ahead in a career that requires aptitude and ability. The fact is that they are not good at what they do, have used every trick in the book to get ahead including lying about their past employment and training experience. To the point that they would remove hours so that the next victim would think there is a clean slate. Before I go on I will say this so that the one's saying we should help the Co-pilot out before we send them packing. I totally agree. We are only human and not all of us are born to be awesome at something we like or love to do. Even if we do get past our first PPC there is always that chance that we will F&8*$k it up and have to do some extra training. I applaud anyone that takes the time to put an extra effort into helping out a fellow pilot just starting or maybe having a rough patch in their career.

This person is not that. This person does have the 2000+ hours and I have flown with this person, trained and line checked this person. My god it was the most frustrating and tormenting event to watch someone that believed they knew how to do it but had no capability to retain the simplest of tasks. When I mean simple I meant simple. After six months still not able to turn on the APU. This is after doing an initial with extra training and then flying the aircraft for a number of hours. No situational awareness what so ever. You might as well be riding with a deer in headlights. After all this training and mentoring which this "person" received by many individuals in different companies and many "breaks" it continued to under perform even though making mass volumes of notes and spending "hours" studying the material. One would expect a person with 2000+ hours to at least turn in the right direction for the destination or at least hold the track out bound and not drift 30 degrees the wrong way. And this on a clear day. Line check turned out to be flying "101" No joke P.A.T.

The worst part about this individual is that if things went well in the company and you happen to be in that company and you happen to be "friends" with this person... no problem. But as soon as this one did not get what it wanted there would suddenly be inter employee issues, personal attacks, vicious rumours about fellow employees. At one point I was informed that one of our crew while away from base was hooking to make some $$. Not true and started by this same person. In other words if this so called pilot who claimed to know how to do it and what to do did not get it's way and was being told by others to study more or improve in certain areas... suddenly HR would get notes. It was never the problem of the individual - it was always someone else that caused the problem. Oh and remember all those people that helped out this person. Well if the story came from the person that helped or someone that new the helper you would think - wow you took a lot of extra time out to help that person. But if you heard the same scenario from this particular person about the ones that helped, The story would be the opposite. The story would be that "I asked for help but they were such assholes" This is not a sound individual.

I have met 100s of great people in this career, but this person makes me think Why? Why did I and why did many others bother to learn to study and to practice, when all you have to do is falsify your past, denny everything, retain nothing, blame others, try to ruin relationships, and use whatever legal HR tool available to get your way. After seeing that his person has been hired once again I had to shake my head and question how the F&&*K did this person make it this far. How many people have witnessed this absolute disaster make it from one place to another only to be given another chance. There has to be a point where the authority says enough is enough. They can do it with your medical why not with your ability?

Just as a note - Yes I did make notes and informed our hire ups about this person.. Due to corporate restructuring the issue was never addressed. How fortunate for this person - "one" can denny this whole story if it ever comes up at the next interview.

We are always going to have great pilots, average pilots and not so great pilots. We are only human. But there has to be a minimum that one must achieve in order to make the grade. It is a slap in the face to the ones out there that put the hard work into this career. Someone of this nature does not deserve that recognition and or opportunity.

So what do you do? At first I would help to see if the person is capable and is willing. If that is the case then by all means help them out and give them the support. But if it is a case where it is obvious that this person is a safety risk. Speak to the CP, the trainers, and if necessary write safety reports or go to HR. Think about it: how many courses and videos are out there telling us how to be professional, SMS, CFIT, Fatigue etc etc. This is no different. If the person is a risk then it should be dealt with.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:53 pm -Approach minimums are a personal limitation.
-Barber pole is a target, not a limit.
-MTOW weight is just a suggestion.
-Icing is slippery, so makes the plane fly faster.
-WAAS gives you an ILS everywhere.
-What do you need the second inverter for (or any other important redundant systen)
-Just have them fill up the O2 when you get back
-The rules are designed for the lowest common denominator

Usually said by below average pilots/scummy managers
This sounds like some of the crazies that fly up north. I've seen a few in my time with these characteristics.

Take the PC-12 for example, one of the pilot's told me that on takeoff we need to climb high as fast as possible in case the engine fails. An hour later when we were out in the bush, the pilot is flying 300 ft AGL trying to show me how to have some fun up there in VFR (they think the 300-1 ops spec is a good thing). For some reason, the engine will probably not fail at that specific time I guess.

Thankfully I'm not up there anymore, flying overseas at the moment.

I'm not demeaning anyone who fly's up north, but there are a few that I know up there who should find other things to do.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

rwm1273 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm I recently worked with a copilot that was by far the most incompetent person I have ever had the misfortune of working with. Utterly terrible at flying, had no idea what they were doing, and despite having over 2200hrs in flight time, I think most of it was spent being told to sit down and don't touch anything.

Everyone else who has known this person has similar stories to tell. They have all spread the word not to hire this person. But what else can be done? I truly feel that this person will make a smoking hole one day, and not know why.
Thats a tough call. I have come across some (very) weak pilots, some who also wouldn't listen. Thats the key - does this person accept criticism? If they have have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn, they'll be fine. If not there no helping them.
That attitude of not to touch anything is an old school mentality that doesn't really work anymore. Your job is to teach, mentor, guide, as well as fly the plane. I say this because Im flying with more and more lower experienced pilots, and thats fine. It's all about the attitude.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

BCnomad, I have a sneaky suspicion that this "person" is a female but due to political correctness, I guess we can never say ?

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

corethatthermal wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am BCnomad, I have a sneaky suspicion that this "person" is a female but due to political correctness, I guess we can never say ?
As I said. There is a vast majority of great people in this industry. This is not one of them. Male or female this one only does a disservice to all of the hard working individuals that have put the time and effort into where they are now. Not only a disservice but is a safety concern. Personally I don't care what gender persuasion you lean towards or maybe your some where in the middle. What counts is whether or not you have the right attitude, aptitude, integrity, etc etc. The qualities that hope that we all have and hope that our coworkers / friends have. There is no room for a "person" of this nature anywhere.

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

corethatthermal wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am BCnomad, I have a sneaky suspicion that this "person" is a female but due to political correctness, I guess we can never say ?
Bingo, you win the prize. So now we get a bit of an understanding of why this individual may have been given some preferential treatment to gain the hours they have.

I have worked with some amazing women in my career, all made it to where they are by doing the job as professionally as can be expected. I would never question the authority or skills of a person just because they were female.

However, with the individual at the point of this thread, they have proven countless times that not everyone is capable and that there are certain people who will take advantage of everyone and everything to get ahead.

One of my first interactions with this person was when they were informing me they were writing a book on "patriarchy in aviation" and I was asked if I knew any women in aviation (Captains) and how they got there. I was straight to the point when I said I knew several, and they all got there due to their skills and competency. This individual was disappointed in that comment and said it was not their experience. A few days later after we had a chance to fly I realized that this person was not getting ahead because of their utter lack of skill, and later also partly due to their character. A month later and I was very happy to purchase a plane ticket to have this person leave the operation and I physically ensured they got on their flight home. Nobody else was willing to deal with this person almost to the point that they refused to be in the same room alone for any reason.

All I can say is I fear for those who have to fly with this person, and since I have heard they will be flying again in an overseas operation, I hope they watch their backs around this person because they will get stabbed and have their career ruined by this evil manipulative person.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

BCnomad wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 pm
This person is not that. This person does have the 2000+ hours and I have flown with this person, trained and line checked this person. My god it was the most frustrating and tormenting event to watch someone that believed they knew how to do it but had no capability to retain the simplest of tasks.
Your comments seem to hint you were the examiner/check pilot.
Then why did you let her pass?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am
This person is not that. This person does have the 2000+ hours and I have flown with this person, trained and line checked this person. My god it was the most frustrating and tormenting event to watch someone that believed they knew how to do it but had no capability to retain the simplest of tasks.
A desire to avoid human rights commission?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 am
A desire to avoid human rights commission?
Nice try, but no. Record it if you have to. As a check pilot it is your duty to fail peole like this. A lot of it has grey areas, but if you can't operate a vital system of your airplane (APU), it's pretty clear she should fail. Especially if she's that bad you feel like you have to post on avcanada for advice...

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Have you seen what the human rights commission, in its wisdom, decides to investigate in this country?

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Well Mr Digits if you had read the whole story you would have noted that I did inform the hire ups and I never said that I passed this person. In fact this person never completed the line check. So before you assume what happened please read what was written. You are correct I did line training and checking and I wrote very clear and fair comments on this individual. I also informed the hire ups that this person is in no way suited for this. As I said as well there was management / corporate change so this never got addressed. In other words this person got a free pass and has been able to move on and get another job... Furthermore I am not looking for advice.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

BCnomad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:25 pm
Well Mr Digits if you had read the whole story you would have noted that I did inform the hire ups and I never said that I passed this person. In fact this person never completed the line check. So before you assume what happened please read what was written. You are correct I did line training and checking and I wrote very clear and fair comments on this individual. I also informed the hire ups that this person is in no way suited for this. As I said as well there was management / corporate change so this never got addressed. In other words this person got a free pass and has been able to move on and get another job... Furthermore I am not looking for advice.
Ah my apologies, I misunderstood.

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

digits_ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 pm

I think the schools and hospitals would be more likely to collapse due to an incompetent contractor/construction crew than an incompetent pilot who happens to hit that particular building.
Well depends on the size of aircraft, and this person is flying 705 category aircraft. Even a small one will make a pretty large dent in a building.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

I recall a certain FEMALE fighter pilot who was incompetent and moved through until she killed herself on approach to an A/C carrier. Please correct me if I am wrong. I fully support women in aviation HOWEVER, the PC, gender favoritism , race favoritism, handicap favoritism etc has gone too far and it is going to lead to accidents, incidents and the erosion of basic EQUAL rights among citizens of this country !

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

core that thermal - This is not a gender issue. This is strictly a complete incompetence issue. The core of this is that someone has been able to move from one place to another and slips through interview bcz that person lies, manipulates, creates false stories, spreads garbage, on top of not knowing a thing about what the job entails. Although this person tells everyone that they are quite capable. employers later find out that this is pandora's box of trouble. People that have worked with this person will know full well who it is, and unfortunately future people that will work with this person will find out later how diabolical one is. I am sure a book could be written about this person's incompetence and vicious behaviour.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Without a doubt some of the best students I've had, as well as the best flight crews I've worked with have been female- Captains and FO's.
Might have something to do with having to prove themselves outside of their minority, yet doing so without machismo. It just translates into real competence and skill.
On average, I'd rate female pilots higher than males, just a fact based on what I've experienced. I've honestly never met a horrible female pilot or one I dreaded hours in the deck with. Fucking weird actually.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

We live In a society-- peoplekind -- where anyone can spin their gross incompetence and bring a government funded -- human rights complaint for racism, sexism, or any other kind of ism.

Anyone can run to the media and destroy someone's life with unfounded accusations.

Based purely on their say so. "Believe all Victims"

That's why smart companies document everything, have witnesses in key meetings, proceed very carefully.

Return to “General Comments”