Recession incoming

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Recession incoming

Post by Beefitarian »

What I meant by the iceberg quip is we import too much.

It is extremely difficult to find things made in Canada. Ok fine I don't need everything to be from here but it would be nice to be able to buy somethings.

I used to buy blue denim trousers made in Montreal. Ok so bad example because some feel they were imported to Canada. If you know of jeans made in Canada please alert me so I can return to supporting my country economically.

Maybe I'm just wrong about this too but if we buy everything from other countries and sell nothing it seems like eventually we run out of money.

I don't know too many people struggling. As you guys say I know more people who can't stay on budget making plenty of money with two incomes.

I never thought I would see the day when the Canadian dollar matched the US dollar. Then it happened briefly. Don't worry though it did not last.

Maybe iceberg is the wrong analogy but I still think we are taking on water and everyone is busy trying to get an invite to the captains table. Not enough people are trying to throw buckets of water out.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rxl wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:21 pm I always laugh when people tell me Europe is so expensive... check out renting a Villa in Tuscany or South of France vs. a week in a cottage in Muskoka... or a week skiing in Austria vs. a week at Whistler or Banff...

Groceries are cheaper in much/most of Europe - and higher quality.
Beer & wine is less.
Eating out is less.
Free childcare.
Free university.
Better transit infrastructure in cities.
Telecom is less.
Rental cars are cheap.
Flights are cheap.
Great markets.

It's not a utopia of course, but we in Canada could strive to reach for some of the successes they have achieved.
Ah yes ... those necessities of life ... Tuscan villas, un appartement au Côte d'Azur, quaint cottages in Minett, a week in Kitzbuhel or Whistler. Life is so tough! :D
LOL...

Life is great, but I can't afford a half decent cottage rental for a couple weeks in Muskoka let alone anything for a week in Whistler - or I can but I choose not to when European options are available, so that's how it goes... and while I'm there everything I do - except filling up the rental - is cheaper... air bnb, lift ticket, grocery, bread, cheese, butcher, produce, bottle of wine, lunch or dinner out, and honestly it's better quality...

There are exceptions of course... Paris, Switzerland... but even then it's mostly just the accommodation and dining out are on par with here.

Life is cheaper in most of Europe.

I'd like to see Canadians break up the dairy cartel, suport more local grocers vs. Loblaws, Sobeys, etc... and demand better bread.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 am It is extremely difficult to find things made in Canada. Ok fine I don't need everything to be from here but it would be nice to be able to buy somethings.

I used to buy blue denim trousers made in Montreal. Ok so bad example because some feel they were imported to Canada. If you know of jeans made in Canada please alert me so I can return to supporting my country economically.

Maybe I'm just wrong about this too but if we buy everything from other countries and sell nothing it seems like eventually we run out of money.
I agree Beef. We need to support Made in Canada... and if that's not available Made in US or Made in EU or Made in any Western Democracy. Not Made in China - that's the wedge that is breaking us.

re: Jeans - not sure what you were buying before, but Naked and Famous denim is Japanese selvedge designed and manufactured in Montreal...

We are shipping our raw materials away and then buying back finished products. We have sawmills shutting down and eliminating good blue collar positions as we stack and ship logs to China and then buy back flooring with Canada stamped on it. The funny thing (not so funny) is that it's 50:50 or worse that you are even getting Canadian wood because they lie and forge place of origin documents with impunity. The furniture business is the same or worse.

Everyone should take a look at their groceries too... I love smoked oysters... assumed for years they must be from here or the US... China. That bag of frozen shrimp? China. All the farm fish and seafood really is grown in a ditch that's an environmentally toxic nightmare. Pine nuts aren't even pine nuts anymore, they're garbage. China. If a country of 2 billion people are exporting food, I think it's suspicious.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

altiplano wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am
We are shipping our raw materials away and then buying back finished products. We have sawmills shutting down and eliminating good blue collar positions as we stack and ship logs to China and then buy back flooring with Canada stamped on it. The funny thing (not so funny) is that it's 50:50 or worse that you are even getting Canadian wood because they lie and forge place of origin documents with impunity. The furniture business is the same or worse.
This is why I'm bearish on Canada. Listen to the debates. Every farmer, sawmill operator, and blue jean maker here in Canada is a rich, entitled asshole.

All of them have a jolly good time bashing anything to do with home grown Canadian small businesspeople that employ Canadians. They are all fat cat tax cheats, not "working Canadians".

Unless its SNC, based in Quebec! Then it's "standing up for jobs". Really. Try small businesses, First!

Snort.

Yet importing same finished products from foreign nations, making THEM rich, is just fine.

Asinine logic.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Drive around Calgary, things are somewhat ok but it's slowing down.

I took little beef beef to a birthday party for his best bud. They had to find a different place to go because the trampoline place was locked up. No sign yet but the lights were on and no one was there.

Drive past Belle Southern Kitchen, the sign is changed. Better go check the menu, they are no longer serving BBQ because they are long gone.

Oh well guess we can go to Holy Smokes, nope, brown paper is not on the trays anymore, it's on the windows with the for lease signs...

Let's hope things carry on but I believe it's going to get bumpy.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

That's all supply and demand Beef. But maybe a little more complex than that, most small businesses in Calgary also saw their property tax sky-rocket since the oil and gas businesses are essentially reneging on their share. So they lose business and their expenses go up, since the bottom line is all that matters to the execs up top, who still have offices in those big towers, but for some reason now need tax breaks to help them stay there.
This is why I'm bearish on Canada. Listen to the debates. Every farmer, sawmill operator, and blue jean maker here in Canada is a rich, entitled asshole.
Unfortunately, that sentiment is often fueled from above which I have discovered somewhat to my shock. When the big corps that really run this country feel they need a break, the party line feeds down pretty quick to the bottom. Oddly, perhaps the Canadian politicians are just being more honest with the way they really feel about small businesses instead of the usual disingenuous pandering to them. The first bit of this clip makes it obvious that politicians just want to cultivate the image of being a champion of small business, but aren't going to do anything to help them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00wQYmvfhn4

That said, I find the Federal government is usually the least of one's worries when it comes to that matter. Your municipal government is going to be a far greater pain in one's side, so unless they come up with any legislation that binds these lower governments, what federal politicians say probably is irrelevant. After all, locally, it was the city of Calgary that decided to raise taxes on most small businesses, not the Government of Canada.

edit: side note, I forgot that video is somewhat aviation themed.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I was going to complain about walmarx but they won. RIP Sears.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 am Drive around Calgary, things are somewhat ok but it's slowing down.

I took little beef beef to a birthday party for his best bud. They had to find a different place to go because the trampoline place was locked up. No sign yet but the lights were on and no one was there.

Drive past Belle Southern Kitchen, the sign is changed. Better go check the menu, they are no longer serving BBQ because they are long gone.

Oh well guess we can go to Holy Smokes, nope, brown paper is not on the trays anymore, it's on the windows with the for lease signs...

Let's hope things carry on but I believe it's going to get bumpy.
Yeah,

So the politicians all tell us ordinary folks can't get ahead.

I'm trying to see why the fault of that is because of the small business guy who went bankrupt, he must not be paying his "fair share". Yeah, he's rich. That's why he went BK and a for lease sign is on the window. Someone explain that to me.

Small business guy making 200 K a year is an evil scumbag, but no issues with a wide body captain (or a government employee) pulling in 300-400. Trying to get the logic there. Must be a Canada thing.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Old fella wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:03 am OK, y’all don’t want JT back as PM and/or think he has been a disaster. For sure and fair enough, tell us then who should replace him. Just asking!
1.) Harper
2.) Harris
3.) Scheer
4.) O'Leary
5.) Conrad Black
6.) Lewis McKenzie

... I could continue the list, but the only people below Trudeau are Jagmeet, May and the two twits from Quebec.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'd take Conrad Black for sure, but he's too smart to go into politics. Maxime Bernier is the only principled one of the bunch as far as I can see... everyone else is playing identity politics and pandering to special interests.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

altiplano wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm I'd take Conrad Black for sure, but he's too smart to go into politics. Maxime Bernier is the only DOUCHEBAG one of the bunch as far as I can see... everyone else is playing identity politics and pandering to special interests.
There. Fixed it for you

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

yycflyguy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:29 pm
altiplano wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm I'd take Conrad Black for sure, but he's too smart to go into politics. Maxime Bernier is the only DOUCHEBAG one of the bunch as far as I can see... everyone else is playing identity politics and pandering to special interests.
There. Fixed it for you
I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my quote. Maybe say it on your own if that's your belief.

No problem, that's your view. You're entitled not to like someone, but can I ask why you think that?

Is it because he wants to end supply management and corporate welfare?
Is it because he wants to open a discussion and return to a points based immigration system like we had in the past?
Is it because he wants to raise the basic personal account above $15K for every Canadian, and simplify the tax brackets?
Is it because he wants to review foreign aid? Maybe we will stop sending 10s of millions to China every year?
Is it that he wants to abide by the Constitution and share jurisdiction on climate & environmental policy with the provinces?
Reboot the relationship with First Nations and give them ownership of their land?
Or maximize the economy for Canada's benefit?
Balance the budget? Because he's the only one anywhere near a path on that.
He thinks it's none of the government's business what you do. He's pro choice but says it's none of his or the government's business.
He's not bought into identity politics or the PC garbage that defines our world today. Is that it?

Or do you just not like him?

Again you're entitled not to...

But it seems to me that most people just think he's a "Canadian Trump", bought into some 'progressive' soundbites, and haven't actually listened to his policies or ideas.

He had 49% support in the Conservative party only a couple years ago... It was the social conservatives vote that put Scheer over the top...

This guy's principled, he stands against supply management and his own riding is the heart of the Québec dairy cartel. I respect that.

Last edited by altiplano on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The Tim Hortons my wife and her work pals go to is extra busy this week because the coffee shop one floor down closed. It was called Starbucks or something. I guess they closed four YYC locations without any warning.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Reboot the relationship with First Nations and give them ownership of their land?
That is the best suggestion here because it was stolen from them by whites.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

But it seems to me that most people just think he's a "Canadian Trump", bought into some 'progressive' soundbites, and haven't actually listened to his policies or ideas.

He had 49% support in the Conservative party only a couple years ago... It was the social conservatives vote that put Scheer over the top...

This guy's principled, he stands against supply management and his own riding is the heart of the Québec dairy cartel. I respect that.
It really is easy to brainwash the voting public and to corral them into a left-right paradigm This also is called controlling the masses !

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It wasn't stolen.

What was perhaps a few hundred thousand people didn't occupy and hold the entire landmass that became Canada either.

By that rationale every place on earth was stolen at some point... just because you were nearby, doesn't make it yours, let alone when it was someone who might have been related to you a few hundred years ago...

Fact is that's just how human migration has worked over the millennia.

But the system that's set up is obviously poor. It has never worked. Tweaking it, renaming the Indian Act, truth and reconciliation, everything that's been done is just bullshit.

Make the reserves their own land to develop, utilize resources, sell, develop, run pipelines through whatever, subject to the laws of any other land in this country, but make it theirs and let's stop the billions we piss up a rope every year maintaining a status quo that nobody likes and is completely ineffective.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Make the reserves their own land to develop, utilize resources, sell, develop, run pipelines through whatever, subject to the laws of any other land in this country, but make it theirs and let's stop the billions we piss up a rope every year maintaining a status quo that nobody likes and is completely ineffective.

That would be the best answer, then they would have the same chance to succeed or fail as the rest of us have.

And all the drones in government who are now parasites in the system can go live with the new land owners and be equals.

My former statement was obviously not meant to be taken seriously. :mrgreen:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'm so used to disagreeing with you Cat, I didn't see the sarcasm font...

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'm so used to disagreeing with you Cat, I didn't see the sarcasm font...
We don't generally agree with each other?

Is it due to political differences or professional flying differences?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL... I suppose we probably do agree often, it's just more memorable when we don't.

Return to “General Comments”