Recession incoming

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Recession incoming

Post by Heliian »

SkySailor wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm If you had a million in cash and your worried about inflation or failing investments?

Commercial income property. Something like a small strip mall or medical building or maybe small light industrial or storage. Something with a safe or diversified or adaptable income source where you can meet your fixed payments and still have a bit of income even with high vacancies. Something outside of overly inflated real estate markets (has to be for only a million) but in an area not dependent on only one or two industries.

That’s what I’d do.

The million in cash was a hypothetical amount. In the real world,
IF you are doing anything but sitting you are taking risk. You cannot forsee how the next year will play out. The economy is dissolving rapidly. The big cash infusions are a temporary measure and recovery can only happen when the people have recovered from this pandemic.

Its your money, do whatever you like.

I will continue to hold onto my assets until the inevitable rebound.
---------- ADS -----------

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

The best time to buy back into the market is when the officials formally announce "We are in a recession", which is 2 consecutive quarters of contraction.

By that logic, a good time to buy back in will be June-August

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Heliian wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 am
Its your money, do whatever you like.
Good advice.

Building a bunker and filling with spam is always an option....................

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Forget that noise. I'm buying that Hereford brand corned beef from Brazil.

What do you think about silver right now?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

SPAM FUTURES......Ultimate store of value

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I don't know anyone that got in on time but TP seemed bullish.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

I will continue to hold onto my assets until the inevitable rebound.
[/quote]

OK, when the inevitable rebound happens, what are you putting your assets in? One big generic mutual fund? Please elaborate.

As for the Spam/Hereford suggestion, not really a great investment idea. To prevent short term starvation, ok fine. Throw it in your 72 hour bug out bag before they lockdown the grocery stores. BTW Beefy, don't wanna ruin your drooling over Hereford (Homer Simpson donut obsession?), but have you checked the sodium content in that highly processed crap? It has apx 3 days of recommended sodium limits in one can! Better choke down a pile of potassium to offset it.

Bunkers? Not an investment choice. Besides, bunkers don't work in an apartment building.

Silver? Why not gold? The problem is these are precious metals. Also known as commodities. Commodities are generally not considered to be investments. They trade on a smaller, more finicky market with different fundamentals than massive world equity markets. Trying to determine future valuations of commodities is like palm reading. Gold seems to be a reasonable hedge for inflation (think governments promising billions in aid, currency printing presses in high gear), but the same could almost be said for residential housing. At least gold is tangible, and better yet, shiny! Perhaps a very small percentage of gold miners in a portfolio who have a LONG history of low debt and stable dividends.

What's a realistic annual rate of return in a conservative retirement fund (market volatility aside)? 5 percent?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Silver just dropped like nearly .25 of it's value and it's still an easy to recognize physical asset if the Canadian dollar collapses from people collecting $2000/month instead of working to submit tax dollars.

You want to pack ounces of gold to barter with go ahead. "Hello, I'd like to trade this ounce of gold for a tank of stale gas please." You might get preferred service to me and my crappy silver I suppose.

Edit: Oh, you are buying a certificate saying you own shares in gold in an undisclosed location. Good luck cashing that in.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

BigQ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 am The best time to buy back into the market is when the officials formally announce "We are in a recession", which is 2 consecutive quarters of contraction.

Timing the market is an impossible task, and dangerous. I get the buy low, sell high approach, but you're suggestion of June to August as a "buy in" time might be, respectfully, premature. Regardless of how we handle this virus, corporate quarterly earnings reflecting economic wreckage will start hitting the markets by June. Volatility will be jacked up. The markets might test new lows. IIRC in late 2008, the DJI lost 40-45 percent? Today's market ain't near that yet.
Over time, a market "floor" may be determined. This will be the low level that despite doomsday predictions, buyers will recognize an oversold market and wade in with renewed buying. I don't know when this time will be (if I did, I'd be selling the info), but I don't think it'll be this summer.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

Beefitarian wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 pm Silver just dropped like nearly .25 of it's value and it's still an easy to recognize physical asset if the Canadian dollar collapses from people collecting $2000/month instead of working to submit tax dollars.

You want to pack ounces of gold to barter with go ahead. "Hello, I'd like to trade this ounce of gold for a tank of stale gas please." You might get preferred service to me and my crappy silver I suppose.

Edit: Oh, you are buying a certificate saying you own shares in gold in an undisclosed location. Good luck cashing that in.
Clearly we are on diverging tracks here.

Since thread drift is off the chart for this one, and it was inevitable that discussion would focus on "Doomsday Prepping" (silver coin payment an' all), let's talk "Bunkers, Beans and Bullets".......

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm in Canada. I can't just go buy bullets. Or toilet paper. Or beans..

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

SkySailor wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm
BigQ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 am The best time to buy back into the market is when the officials formally announce "We are in a recession", which is 2 consecutive quarters of contraction.

Timing the market is an impossible task, and dangerous. I get the buy low, sell high approach, but you're suggestion of June to August as a "buy in" time might be, respectfully, premature. Regardless of how we handle this virus, corporate quarterly earnings reflecting economic wreckage will start hitting the markets by June. Volatility will be jacked up. The markets might test new lows. IIRC in late 2008, the DJI lost 40-45 percent? Today's market ain't near that yet.
Over time, a market "floor" may be determined. This will be the low level that despite doomsday predictions, buyers will recognize an oversold market and wade in with renewed buying. I don't know when this time will be (if I did, I'd be selling the info), but I don't think it'll be this summer.
Timing the exact market is a dangerous proposition, timing the broad market and macro-economic forces, is called swing trading.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I know exactly what I am doing: NOTHING. It is the best long term solution.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

goldeneagle wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:56 pm There is always somebody saying 'recession looming', some folks saying it all the time. When it comes, they change tune to 'depression coming'. And if they say it often enough, and long enough, eventually they will probably be right once.
Once

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:59 am
goldeneagle wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:56 pm There is always somebody saying 'recession looming', some folks saying it all the time. When it comes, they change tune to 'depression coming'. And if they say it often enough, and long enough, eventually they will probably be right once.
Once
Hmmmmmm.

Tell us -- Pelmet --- exactly where we are?

What are the indicators you follow?

How long will this slowdown last?

Should folks invest a lot in flight training right now?

What will things look like a year from now?

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I received an unaddressed letter in the mail a while back, with large red letters on the envelope saying something about "Pandemic Destroying World Economy..."

Inside, was a letter that appeared to have been photocopied a few too many times, as it was printed askew and a bit blurry. Apparently some financial wiz has decided to take his gospel and deliver it to the masses via letter mail. In it he talked about his successes and how the clients who've faithfully listened to his advice have had astounding successes and huge returns, much to the chagrin of his critics. Then he peddled some stock, in some resource extraction company in Nevada (or was it Arizona? Doesn't matter.) that was poised for a major break - huge break, biggest break ever; make every break before it look like child's play... Invest in stock XYZ, it's about to jump 500% (or some stupid number) and you'll see the sort of returns his faithful clients see; in excess of 100%...

What could possibly go wrong? Could it be any worse than taking flying advice from random posters on the internet - whom always prove everyone else wrong about even the most basic and elementary flying skills? :lol: :roll:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am
SPAM FUTURES......Ultimate store of value

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm still getting fresh beef. Smoked a rib roast just now, it's resting in parchment, foil and a towel inside a cooler. Going to be delicious!

I can even get the fancy beans I like.

I was not able to buy any silver during the temporary dip. Buggers knew it was going to go right back up.

Return to “General Comments”