RIP - Capt Haynes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

RIP - Capt Haynes

Post by boeingboy »

God speed to a man who snatched 185 of his passengers and crew from certain death in an amazing feat of airmanship. Rest in peace sir - it is well deserved.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/26/a ... ilot-dies/
---------- ADS -----------

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: RIP - Capt Haynes

Post by shawnthesheep »

Rest in Peace :/

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

I was fortunate to have attended a 2002 dinner in Burlington where Haynes was the keynote speaker and gave a riveting presentation on the accident (versions are available on YouTube for those interested). A consummate professional who gave full credit to his crew in improvising quick solutions to a rapidly-deteriorating situation, while staying focused and even maintaining a sense of humour ("You want to be particular and make it a runway.") Blue skies and tailwinds, sir.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

The crew's handling of the loss of hydraulics on UAL 232 was a textbook example of CRM and task sharing. Al Haynes never wanted to be referred to as a hero. His personal standards were too high. He might have felt differently if all on board had survived.

I was lucky to hear him speak at a safety conference many years ago. His talk was a demonstration of humility.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

It was an honour to have met Capt. Haynes. Godspeed and Blue Skies Al.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Probably the most amazing example of persistence in a near impossible situation I've ever read about. True hero.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:06 am I was fortunate to have attended a 2002 dinner in Burlington where Haynes was the keynote speaker and gave a riveting presentation on the accident (versions are available on YouTube for those interested). A consummate professional who gave full credit to his crew in improvising quick solutions to a rapidly-deteriorating situation, while staying focused and even maintaining a sense of humour ("You want to be particular and make it a runway.") Blue skies and tailwinds, sir.
I attended the same dinner in Burlington! I recall that he spoke for about two hours or so.....but it went by like 2 minutes, as it was so engrossing. The main theme he seemed to touch on was that so many were "prepared" beyond aviation - the airport, the crash fire and rescue people, the hospital personnel, the police to clear roads for ambulances....etc

Return to “General Comments”