Boeing Max.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Boeing Max.

Post by goingnowherefast »

Southwest to Boeing: please please, common type rating, online ground school only.

Boeing response (should have been): sorry, the new fuel efficient engine placement...MCAS...this plane needs a 1 day conversion course including 1 sim session. If you don't like that, we're still taking orders for the NG!

I highly doubt Southwest uses a 737-200 sim anymore, so why is it crazy to expect that max training can be done on a ng sim?
---------- ADS -----------

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Boeing Max.

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Lol. You don't know the first thing about my experience. I've spent plenty of time working for foreign operators and have thousands of hours on both manufacturer's aircraft. They all have their good points - and bad. There's no doubt that competency standards are not the same everywhere, but if you're going to sell safety-critical products to such places, you'd best be prepared to hand over a product they are capable of using consistently. Like it or not, our litigious world forces manufacturers to cater to the lowest common denominator. It sucks but it's also reality. They're hardly perfect but Airbus has generally outdone Boeing in this regard.

Blaming Southwest for Boeing's corporate decisions is classic deflection. What were they going to do, buy Airbus instead? If you knew anything about the man who started Southwest, you'd know that was a non-starter. He was a loyal American through and through, and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies who bow down to customer pressures that involve compromises and cutting corners are destined to disappoint both themselves and those customers. Where I work today, we reject customer requests to cut corners regularly, but we do so with proper evidence and justification. It's called due diligence - a lesson the senior management of Boeing needs to relearn.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”