Putting my own fabric on my airplane without experience

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Caiss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Putting my own fabric on my airplane without experience

Post by Caiss »

Hello, my grandfather has just given me his airplane that hasn't flown in years, an engineer came over to see it with my grandfather and said that the fabric should be re-done. there were mice living in the wings and the fabric was done over 20 years ago. I would like to know if its a good (safe) idea for me to buy the products myself and install it myself with a little help from a guy that has done his own plane before but i would do most of the work. He would just give me advice basically.

Also here is a list with the cost of what i was told i should need

toile 102 (sorry for the french) 50 yards 850$
Tape 2" 47.22$ x 4
Tape 3" 73.92$
Reinforcing tape 1/2 82.96$
Couche de rendo proof ( French again and couldn't really understand what she was saying) 5 gallons 417.53$
Thinner 286 5 gallons 386.50$
Aluminium 5 gallons 435.44$
Thinner 9703 5 gallons 350$
Color 1 gallon 129.33
Glue 1 gallon 193.28$
Gromit 0.35$ x 50

All this minus 10%, is this reasonable? because i have no idea and would like a little feedback. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Putting my own fabric on my airplane without experience

Post by Pacqing »

I wouldn't go into a job like this blind. Fabric work is a real skill. Where are you located? I think a guy in Red Deer does a course on fabric. Unless your friend has experience on this I'd slow down and make sure you're not wasting your time and money.

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

Gary Hillman does a course in Red Deer. There's many types of systems out there, do lots of research and watch lots of youtube. Stewarts system is a good product as well as HIPEC out of Edmonton.. What kind of plane is it and where are you located?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Are you an EAA member?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Patching fabric holes sure, completely re skinning an aeroplane? Might be in a bit over your head. take a course for sure.

Caiss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caiss »

I am close to the Charlo Airport in New Brunswick, and no i am not an EAA member. The airplane is an Aeronca.

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

Unfortunately the fabric work is usually the least of your concerns. Once you get it off you will find wing ribs to repair, steel parts rusted that will need blasted and painted, possible steel tubing corrosion or repairs to do on the fuselage. Since the fabric usually comes off every 20-30 years the structure underneath hasn’t been touched since then as well.

Plan to spend 600-700 hrs on fabric work alone.

I have used Stewart systems with great results. No harsh, smelly chemicals. Very easy to use. They have great YouTube videos on every step of the process. https://m.youtube.com/user/stewartsystems

You can order supply’s from www.aircraftspruce.ca
Free shipping over $500 and decent prices

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

I have been working on these planes for 30 years now. More than 50% of the Aeronca/Champion/Citabria planes that I have inspected for the spar AD, at least 1 of the 4 spars of them had a crack.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

I have to agree with the two previous posters.
"free" airplanes invariably end up costing a lot of money.
If mice have gotten in, their urine will cause corrosion on any metal and you will also likely find chewed wood.
Doing fabric can be learned though. Join a local EAA chapter and folks there will guide you.
Without an AME involved this aircraft will likely be registered owner maintenance.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

As previously posted, or eluded to, this plane needs to be in Owner Maintenance for it to be worked on by someone other than an AME. The catch is that to be transferred to Owner Maintenance, it must be in a current annual condition. If it has not flown for 20\years, it is out of annual. So you will need an AME to sign it off as flyable, then go down to the local T/C office and transfer it to OM. Then, as suggested, take a course, get some help, study videos to do the fabric. I don't think fabric is hard, but there is a process that needs to be followed, with patience. It is a great time to think about mods to make too, ie fishing rod tube, external access panels, ...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ShawnR wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm As previously posted, or eluded to, this plane needs to be in Owner Maintenance for it to be worked on by someone other than an AME.
Not true. If the owner can find an AME who trusts the owner's skills and the AME trusts him, the AME can sign off without ever touching the plane.
If you are going to be able to find someone willing to do that, is a whole different question.

A solution could be to assist/observe an AME while the AME is recovering your plane. You probably won't be able to save money that way, but you'll learn a lot.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Caiss,

It
s certainly good that you're thinking about making the fabric airworthy. But as mentioned a few times, there will be other surprises which will demand time and money to make airworthy too. What condition is the engine in? if it too has not run in years, it may need expensive work. Consider that scope of the entire restoration job before you commit to any of it.

Before you spend any money, download AC43.13-1B, and read all of the sections which could apply to the plane. Ask rhow you will address each of these maintenance requirements. When you understand what's in AC43.13, you'll have a grasp of the scope of the project, and be better positioned to make decisions.

There is a fellow near Yarmouth Nova Scotia who restores fabric planes, and does beautiful work, but remind yourself that he makes his living doing this, and values his time...

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wittman

Cause of death was improperly installed fabric.

Getting it done right is cheaper than an accident !

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

2R wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wittman

Cause of death was improperly installed fabric.

Getting it done right is cheaper than an accident !
Probably not the best example you could have chosen... Steve would have been a recognized expert at fabric installation. Even the experienced people can get it wrong.

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

Great project for winter. I have done it under an AME supervision. Lost of information on how to on uTube and Stewart System has the whole process in video. Recovering also means paying very close attention to the tubulure and you will need help for any repair to its components. Like Pilot DAR said, download AC43.13-1B, it all in there. It is not rocket science.
You do not have much choice if you want to keep the aircraft. Nowadays, the cost of recovering these aircrafts by a commercial shop easily exceed the value of the aircraft itself. But ounce it is done, you will be good for the 20 years and more if you keep it inside.
Do not be intimidated by the job. Just take your time to lean and and then do it. It will be very rewarding.

Michel

Return to “General Comments”