Looking for a paved runway for a day of testing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

craigger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a paved runway for a day of testing

Post by craigger »

Hi there,

I have been building a hybrid electric motorcycle as part of my masters degree. It is near completion and I am now looking for a place to do some runs to test efficiency. Ideally a smooth, flat, straight, and private place I.E. a private airstrip. I am in Guelph but can trailer to wherever in southern Ontario.

Pls get in touch with me if you have an airstrip that you would be happy to share.

Thanks in advanced!
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Looking for a paved runway for a day of testing

Post by lownslow »

I haven’t been in a long time but Wingham used to have an excellent surface, was 4000 feet long, and dead quiet most days.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

How long of a runway do you need? St. Thomas (CYQS) has a ~2600' seondary runway that could be used, and I know it's been used in the past even as a long-term parking lot when the Ford Plant was over capacity.

The Ontario Police College in Aylmer (5 miles east of CYQS) used to be an old BCATP aerodrome in WWII and they even built a mock downtown core of a city to train recruits on tactical driving techniques, which could be useful for urban testing of the motorcycle.

London (CYXU) rotinely closes the inactive runway for General Dynamics to test out their Stryker LAV's. They usually get about 3000' either on the east side of 15 on 09/27 or on the south side of 15/33.

I would simply email the respective facility managers and they could give you a better idea then any of us here.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

CPL4 Grand Bend is a drag strip and runway.

ykzrampie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ykzrampie »

Centralia (CYCE) has 5000' and 4400' runways. Isn't used much. Used it once upon a time to test a R/C aircraft for Western. Mustangs have also tested their various car projects there as well.

GQ4
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GQ4 »

The old Dunnville (CDU9) airport is now closed. That is where they film Canada's Worst Driver... I have no idea who is responsible for the site now but you could do it there and not worry about having to deal with an active aerodrome.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

If you're in Guelph, why not just use the Guelph airstrip? Or maybe someone from there can connect you with Reid's private strip near CYKF.

Return to “General Comments”