Piston MPIC Time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Piston MPIC Time

Post by foxonefoxone »

Thinking about career moves and was contemplating on where MPIC would fit.
Have about 1000 hrs on single piston and have an offer to upgrade to a light twin piston (Beech 95). I know some medevac companies need 500 mpic but my end goal isnt King Airs.
So where and how else does mpic benefit and what would be a good number -250 or 500?

Thanks for the help
---------- ADS -----------

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Piston MPIC Time

Post by propfeather »

PIC is king.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

propfeather wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 am PIC is king.
In this day and age, is PIC really king anymore?

If your goal is the airlines, don't worry, look at quantity not necessarily quality. Get enough PIC to hold your AAs so you can upgrade on a 705 aircraft, but more important than quality PIC is DOH at a regional or mainline. That's the sad reality nowadays.

If you aren't thinking airlines, then yes, PIC is way more important and will be a determining factor in being selected or overlooked for a promotion.

S.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

When the next recession hits, and everybody is laying off (just like in 2002/2003), you'll wish you had 500 MPIC for that King Air job. A lot of people who raced to a regional without 500mpic will be on pogie.

Think of it as insurance, spend some time, hopefully don't need it, but might be really worth it.

giligan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by giligan »

A king Air doesn’t have to be your end goal, but it will be one of the best parts of your career. Your next job likely isn’t your end goal either. Is 500 hrs 6-8 months of flying? If you have a job offer in the right seat of a 705 machine without props then that could be different. - But what are the requirements to upgrade there? PIC really is king, especially when there are a lot of people that don’t have it. Layoffs will come. I’m pretty sure every 705 jet skipper on here would agree that you should enjoy the journey, don’t worry about the end goal. That will come.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

foxonefoxone wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:53 am Thinking about career moves and was contemplating on where MPIC would fit.
Have about 1000 hrs on single piston and have an offer to upgrade to a light twin piston (Beech 95). I know some medevac companies need 500 mpic but my end goal isnt King Airs.
So where and how else does mpic benefit and what would be a good number -250 or 500?

Thanks for the help
The travelair is a fun machine. What is your end goal?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The travelair is a fun machine.
One of the best.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Giligan nailed it. Life is too hard to sweat over what might be best or not. PIC is always more fun. More fun = better chances for everything. Also, PIC generally pays better.

Return to “General Comments”