New Pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dutchboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Pilot

Post by dutchboy »

As I am coming to the end of my flight training, I will be finishing with a Commercial License with a Group 1 Multi IFR Rating. I was just wondering what some of the best places to work for as a new pilot are and possibly get some insight as to what other pilots did for their first jobs and what their experiences were like? I am willing to work on a ramp as well as any international options. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: New Pilot

Post by ayseven »

At this time of year, take anything that gets you flying.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

dutchboy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 am As I am coming to the end of my flight training, I will be finishing with a Commercial License with a Group 1 Multi IFR Rating. I was just wondering what some of the best places to work for as a new pilot are and possibly get some insight as to what other pilots did for their first jobs and what their experiences were like? I am willing to work on a ramp as well as any international options. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Best place to work is whoever will hire you as a low timer.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Inquire with photo survey companies

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Any significance to your "nom de plume" - if so I suggest you might like the Europeon experience.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

It really depends. Sometimes insurance sets the mins. For a few C182 jump ops I had first applied to when starting out, the insurance mins were around 350 TT & 250 PIC. In the US it’s generally 500 TT so not too bad I guess. As was mentioned, few aerial photography seem willing to hire lower time.
It seems by a lot of people’s experience that the road trip seems to be a good route to go as opposed to blindly emailing resumes (which I did to start also....)

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

I should add that to give myself a bit of extra time in the beginning, I went and bought a block of 100 hrs time on a pa-140 after I finished my CPL and flew all over to have a bit more total time than the average Group 1 CPL. It seemed to help me in getting my first job, but that was a few years ago. Could be easier for you now....

Super31
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Super31 »

I suggest gathering a few 703/704 companies up north. Not just northern Ontario but the territories. Calling them and finding information on what the wait is and if they're looking for ground positions. Unless like others said if you can find something that gets you flying. But be careful you don't want to fly just anything!
Cheers

Return to “General Comments”