Red Deer is getting a control tower

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Red Deer is getting a control tower

Post by Lotro »

NAV Canada announced on social media yesterday (but not on their corporate website?) the following:
We’re changing service at #RedDeer, Alberta in response to @flyreddeer ’s growing traffic – transitioning from aerodrome advisory services to air traffic control services by August 2021. Learn more: http://bit.ly/334h2m1
CATCA the Canadian Air Traffic Controller Association (ATC Union) was close behind with this tidbit:
Big news! The Red Deer Airport will become CATCA’s 44th control tower. We hope to be fully open & operational by August 2021. / La 44e tour de contrôle de l’ACCTA sera aménagée à l’aéroport de Red Deer. Elle devrait entrer en activité effectivement d’ici août 2021.
I'd heard traffic was bananas at Red Deer, but I'm surprised to see a tower opening. NAV Canada has been closing towers (YSB, YKZ) and I'm a little surprised by this move. I would have expected an announcement about a remote camera based tower. Of course, a lot can happen in 2 years including a traffic drop off or a camera announcement.

Anyone know what's making Red Deer so busy?
---------- ADS -----------

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Red Deer is getting a control tower

Post by 5x5 »

Very high volume of training flights.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

International students crashing into each other...

CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

2 busy training schools (Skywings and Montair), Airspray Aviation, Buffalo airways, and the local General Aviation community.... Granted, it's no Springbank, but it can be heavily congested with student pilots.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Blows my mind that YKZ doesn’t have a tower anymore but Red Deer does.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Check out the CADORS for YQF, it's a freaking gong show with the FSS. I can only imagine how much fun the controllers will have for the first..., what am I saying, they'll all be out on stress leave in the first few weeks.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I am more relieved than I am surprised. I haven't flown there in nearly 10 years since my training, but it was a favorite place to go. When I saw the CFS updates since Montair moved in, I thought "NOPE." Maybe a tower will make it more bearable to fly into now. Super busy FSS stations are almost worse than useless, especially when you add ESL to the mix.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

FishermanIvan wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:42 pm Blows my mind that YKZ doesn’t have a tower anymore but Red Deer does.
Why?

Traffic at Buttonville was wayyy down before the tower closed. Looks like 3,000/mth (36K/yr), I'd guess that Red Deer is pushing more than that.

https://buttonvilleflyingclub.com/resou ... 3-2018.pdf
Air traffic movements at Red Deer in 2018 were 79,617, up from 47,555 in 2016. Light aircraft accounted for 95% of airport air traffic in 2018, 70% of which were Cessna 172s
http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and ... nt--EN.pdf

Brampton seems alright with no tower (I hear they don't want one), they boast 110,000/year.

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/co ... formation/

It sucks that the tower in YKZ closed, I used to fly out of that place when it was busy, but it isn't as busy anymore. Maybe busy shouldn't be a requirement for a tower?

charrois
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by charrois »

Great news! Red Deer had more movements this past year than Villeneuve (the main Edmonton-area training airport with a control tower), and recent changes to their airspace and procedures were clearly more of a confusing "hack" to try and improve significantly worsening safety issues over the past few years as traffic has grown, than a real effort to fix the problem "properly" with a tower and hopefully controlled airspace.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Hopefully this is a trend. There are other very busy MF airports in Canada that are a complete gong show in need of a tower.

Return to “General Comments”