Updated MCAS ‘Safe’ Says MAX Technical Team

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Updated MCAS ‘Safe’ Says MAX Technical Team

Post by ayseven »

What a mess.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

The training and instructions need to be calibrated for pilots with lesser training and experience, he said.
And that is one of the most troubling things about this whole situation. Maybe airlines should better train their pilots...... :roll:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The "tiger" label is fitting.

You put a tiger of an aircraft in the hands of a culture of pilots trained to be sheep, what you would expect to happen, happened.

The era of training pilots to tame tigers is long gone, so the solution is to neuter the tiger. Personally I will always keep my whip ready, I don't think it's ever possible to completely remove the latent errors in any machine, particularly in an age where the complexity of systems makes it impossible to know all conceivable outcomes of interactions. But this news should bring comfort for the type whose faith or experience rests solely in checklists to save themselves.

Lowering thresholds to cater to the lowest common denominator is not limited to aviation, but it's nothing to be proud of.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Yup, because none of the superbly trained western pilot gods of yesteryear ever flew an airplane into the ground.

Oh wait, I can only pull up multiple accident reports from the NTSB through the 70s, 80s and 90s where western pilots flew perfectly good airplanes into the side of a mountain or bugged up an ILS approach and end up in the lights. Let alone an airplane that was actively trimming the nose into the ground.

I don’t understand the nostalgic view of the past when the statistics point out there were major problems back then too.

Does pilot training and standards need to be improved especially in third world countries? I would argue yes. Are these the correct accidents to make that case? I don’t think so. There are much more clearly defined situations where a system design of the aircraft hasn’t been found to be the major cause of the accident.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

There’s your white male privilege card, Complex. Not still being blamed for an accident after the cause was found to be the failure of a poorly designed system. Do you remember those Air Transat or Air Canada pilots who’s mistakes turned their jets into gliders in a bad light. Almost nobody does.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There’s your white male privilege card, Complex

Wow Complex you got off easy, he forgot you label you racist and a bigot. :mrgreen:

Don't you know that all humans were created equal and all pilots are equal regardless of the cultures they are from?

Shame, shame. :prayer:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Not still being blamed for an accident after the cause was found to be the failure of a poorly designed system
Thats overly simplistic and blind to the real cause. Complex is correct in everything he said.

The design problems were only a part of the accidents. Both reports have cited numerous problems including pilot decision making, pilot skills, company deficiencies and maintenance issues.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Let’s not cloud the issues with catch phrases that are irrelevant to this situation.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

failure of a poorly designed system
The system didn't fail, it did what it was supposed to do it was the single point failure that drove the MCAS to do exactly as per its foolish design!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

And didn't bother to complicate the companies' bottom lines by telling them about it in the first place, thereby saving training money, and difficult questions as to its necessity due to poor design of the AC.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Slipping into February

(
https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safe ... ax-return/

Sorry, no copy and paste)

nynybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nynybear »

Minimums wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 am
valleyboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:40 am
the MAX.
And they're flying with training captains for MONTHS, even after line checks
All is good and automation will offset low time until it doesn't. Training captains are not god and the aircraft is not single pilot. The main question is how do pilots gain and maintain stick and rudder skills.
Easy. Hand fly approaches. Hand fly departures and level offs. Not all the time, but at least once a day, per pilot. Heck, even an entire leg. When is the last time you hand-flew an entire leg? I try to from time to time, and find it really does help keep me a little sharper.
Entire leg below FL290 please.

Return to “General Comments”